*** POLL - Has Crysis lived up to the hype? ***

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
Well....has it?

I really believe that it has.
It has really been an awesome experience...

...even if it is just a demo...

NOTE: I'll probably start an "official" poll once the full game is released.

Rage187

Lifer
Dec 30, 2000
yes, but it absolutely rapes my system and is unplayable at 1280x720 w/o AA and vsync turned off.

maybe just a tad to far ahead of its time

X2 3800
Vista
8800GTS 320MB
2gig 3200ram

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
It'll be awesome killing soldiers in a jungle... and then overpowered aliens/mutants will ruin it. Exactly like Far Cry...

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
Originally posted by: Spartan Niner
It'll be awesome killing soldiers in a jungle... and then overpowered aliens/mutants will ruin it. Exactly like Far Cry...

Stop making predictions.

Have YOU played the full game?

NO!!!

Polish3d

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
I'm actually looking forward to the alien portion more.

I've had enough of killing soldiers, bring on the gigantic aliens

mundane

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
I did have an issue with the mutants from FC - it seemed like a cheap way to increase the difficulty of the latter parts of the game. Regardless of the 'realism' of cyber mutants, increasing an entity's hitpoints to some outrageous value feels like a lazy design. Some of the enemies did bring new abilities to the table, which I appreciated.

Back on topic, I loved the demo, even if I couldn't push it to high visuals.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
sure it has lived up to the hype:

Crysis IS a pretty and short ten-hour tech demo that no one can play on 'Very high'
:D

i guess i have 1/4 of the game already in the Demo ... two of 8 levels?
- that'll keep me 'till i major upgrade my system to QuadCore Penryn and 2900xt Crossfire - for maxed out DX9 :p
:roll:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: apoppin
sure it has lived up to the hype:

Crysis IS a pretty and short ten-hour tech demo that no one can play on 'Very high'
:D

i guess i have 1/4 of the game already in the Demo ... two of 8 levels?
- that'll keep me 'till i major upgrade my system to QuadCore Penryn and 2900xt Crossfire - for maxed out DX9 :p
:roll:

LOL

It was all hyped to be so nice looking and it is, you're right.

The game itself...generic to the bone. Suit is only mildly useful (max armor is really cheap).

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Well we've only played the demo so there may be some goodies later on that will blow me away, but right now it's like FC2 with superb graphics. I still really liked the demo. I couldn't disagree more that the suit is "mildly useful" Speed, invisibility, strength are terrific ways to vary up the gameplay, and that you have only a couple seconds of each tempers it from becoming too godlike. The manner they implemented it with the mouse gesture is simplistic and genius. The pre-release vids seemed intimidating. Modding the guns isn't something to do on the run, but when would you really have time to in the middle of a firefight? AI wasn't that impressive. Vehicles run a bit slower than they should I think. The game runs great on my system at 16x12 (C2d, 8800gts640). I thought there'd be no way I could run it on High but it's very smooth. I'm impressed.

wazzledoozle

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2006
The demo is boring.

The beta was alright, but nothing like the hype. Especially since it looks nothing like the previews weve been seeing even on a C2D E4400 @ 3ghz, 8800GTS, and 2gb of DDR2-800.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Yes, completely. I was afraid that they would make the combat easier and less damaging because of people complaining about Far Cry, but Crysis definitely seems it will live up to that. The interface and controls are incredibly slick as well, not to mention the instantaneous saving and loading which hasn't been done since Half-Life.

Polish3d

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
Originally posted by: wazzledoozle
The demo is boring.

The beta was alright, but nothing like the hype. Especially since it looks nothing like the previews weve been seeing even on a C2D E4400 @ 3ghz, 8800GTS, and 2gb of DDR2-800.

How can you say that? Other than textures being a tad low on plants and ground and such it looks about exactly as the previews showed it to be. I just went over to gametrailers for another look before posting

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: sirjonk
Well we've only played the demo so there may be some goodies later on that will blow me away, but right now it's like FC2 with superb graphics. I still really liked the demo. I couldn't disagree more that the suit is "mildly useful" Speed, invisibility, strength are terrific ways to vary up the gameplay, and that you have only a couple seconds of each tempers it from becoming too godlike. The manner they implemented it with the mouse gesture is simplistic and genius. The pre-release vids seemed intimidating. Modding the guns isn't something to do on the run, but when would you really have time to in the middle of a firefight? AI wasn't that impressive. Vehicles run a bit slower than they should I think. The game runs great on my system at 16x12 (C2d, 8800gts640). I thought there'd be no way I could run it on High but it's very smooth. I'm impressed.

Problem is...you can go through the WHOLE demo without using anything but max armor and strength (to jump in the spots it forces you to). You never really need or have use for the cloak or the speed ever.

It's a gimmick.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Frackal
Originally posted by: wazzledoozle
The demo is boring.

How can you say that? Other than textures being a tad low on plants and ground and such it looks about exactly as the previews showed it to be. I just went over to gametrailers for another look before posting

Because if you want it to look like those previews, it runs like garbage.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
open your program files and look in your EA > Crysis demo folder
--in System 32 or 64 run the CPU and GPU benchmarks ... {make sure your set everything to "very high" if your rig is a 2900xt or GTS640 or better and you are running Vista}

especially notice the water shaders and the foliage in the GPU bench and the explosions in the second
--it looks like the previews ... only slower on my rig .. 15.5-18 FPS ... but very pretty ... a big step over FarCry

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
Fine people...compare it to FarCry but DO NOT say that Crysis is FarCry 2.

FarCry 2 is scheduled to come out in 2008.
Who knows...Crytek might tweak the CryEngine 2 and make FarCry 2 look better than Crysis.....

Sep 12, 2004
Originally posted by: cmdrdredd
Originally posted by: sirjonk

Problem is...you can go through the WHOLE demo without using anything but max armor and strength (to jump in the spots it forces you to). You never really need or have use for the cloak or the speed ever.

It's a gimmick.
The other suit features may not be mandatory in the demo but they could be necessary somewhere in the full game, who knows? I like them because they add an extra dimension that allows for so many variations of attack/defense/stealth strategies, not to mention the vehicles, and make for great replay value.

It'd be nice to have a knife in the demo though.

wazzledoozle

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2006
Originally posted by: Cheex
Fine people...compare it to FarCry but DO NOT say that Crysis is FarCry 2.

FarCry 2 is scheduled to come out in 2008.
Who knows...Crytek might tweak the CryEngine 2 and make FarCry 2 look better than Crysis.....

Crytek is not involved at all with Far Cry 2. In case you failed to notice, EA is publishing Crysis for Crytek and Ubisoft is doing Far Cry 2 in-house on a new engine.

This is because Ubisoft retained the rights to the Far Cry brand and Crytek kept their engine.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Hype?
No.

But thats impossible because it was lauded as a bigger event than the 2nd coming of Christ.
It couldnt possibly live up to all the hype, but these days thats not even a flaw. Its the norm.

LightningRider

Feb 16, 2007
I really enjoyed the demo. I find it very fun. Even if you're not forced to use the other modes of the suit, using them is a lot of fun and I really enjoy doing so. The textures on rocks are pretty bad, vegetation is not stunning either but overall the graphics are really good. I wish I had bought the 640MB GTS though so I could run it a little higher...

Overall I'm impressed though and I will definitely pick it up.