Poll: Email Reply Netiquette

oaaltone

Jun 25, 2001
aaltonen.us
When replying to an email and quoting the original message, do you start your reply above or below the quoted message? Just curious...

bigalt

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2000
if i'm directly addressing the stuff in the email, i put my stuff below. if it's just there to remind them of what they wrote, then i leave their email below.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: bigalt
if i'm directly addressing the stuff in the email, i put my stuff below. if it's just there to remind them of what they wrote, then i leave their email below.

Agreed.

Usually if I am addressing individual questions or paragraphs then I reply below.

Otherwise my reply is above, their quote is below.

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I like to reply above, but Thunderbird starts out by default below, and I haven't figured out how to change it.

oaaltone

Jun 25, 2001
aaltonen.us
Originally posted by: Entity
I like to reply above, but Thunderbird starts out by default below, and I haven't figured out how to change it.

Tools > Account Settings > select the appropriate account > Composition & Addres... > "Automatically quote the original message when replying" > Then, **CHANGE THIS** "Start my reply above the quote."

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: olliebg
Originally posted by: Entity

Tools > Account Settings > select the appropriate account > Composition & Addres... > "Automatically quote the original message when replying" > Then, **CHANGE THIS** "Start my reply above the quote."

Thank you!!

Derango

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2002
I usually use above, since, personally, when I get an e-mail message, I'd like to read what they said to me, rather than what I said to them :)