*POLL* drivers license testing for older people?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrNoobie

Banned
Mar 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Staley8
I voted no, unless they are going to make a retest for all ages. There is no reason to discriminate against old people over any other age, sex, or racial group. So unless I see proof that they are involved in or cause more accidents I would say they are the same as every other group of poeple. A few old people make the whole group look bad. A few ricers make that whole group look bad. Retest all or nothing I say.

Except that response times in elderly people are significantly less than those in younger people. Don't give me this discrimination bullcrap, the body becomes less responsive and slower to respond with age. There should be a retest at certain age intervals (i.e. 45, 60, 70, etc) to make sure things such as eyesight, response time, mental capacity, and knowledge of the driving laws are still WNL.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: DrNoobie
I voted no, unless they are going to make a retest for all ages. There is no reason to discriminate against old people over any other age, sex, or racial group. So unless I see proof that they are involved in or cause more accidents I would say they are the same as every other group of poeple. A few old people make the whole group look bad. A few ricers make that whole group look bad. Retest all or nothing I say.

Except that response times in elderly people are significantly less than those in younger people. Don't give me this discrimination bullcrap, the body becomes less responsive and slower to respond with age. There should be a retest at certain age intervals (i.e. 45, 60, 70, etc) to make sure things such as eyesight, response time, mental capacity, and knowledge of the driving laws are still WNL.

you are trying to argue with logic against someone who is clearly retarded and illogical

Black88GTA

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2003
I would love to see mandatory testing every two years for those over 65. I love my grandparents to death, but they are a menace on the roads. Nothing makes me angrier than being stuck behind some clueless blue hair in a Buick going 15 MPH under the limit. I've been in so many near-accidents with old people that I lost count. Once I was going through a green light and some octogenarian turned left right in front of me. I put nice flat spots in all 4 of my tires, and nearly totaled her brand new Benz. I swear I came within inches. To make matters worse, she stopped right in front of me, in mid-turn. Like she saw me coming, and forgot what to do. Then the old geezer in the passenger seat had the nerve to flip me off and start screaming at me, like it was my fault :|.

But, as has been stated, this would be political suicide. No politician will ever propose a bill like this, because old people tend to vote more than other age groups.

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
Originally posted by: MrDudeMan

are you stupid? i will answer for you: yes.

did anyone in this thread say we should ONLY test old people? NO. i stated a specific group, but did not limit it to them. you tainted the results with your blatant and utter stupidity.

Are you a moron that is unable to make a poll that is clear? You asked "Should there be a test for old people...not 40-50 but really old" (paraphrasing here). And then when I say they should have testing for everyone you claim that you never stated that it was for a specific group? How about I put up a poll saying "Do you think 12 year olds should be able to buy beer". And then when people vote no, I'll bitch about how "I never stated a specific group I meant it to include every". You are the only one who is screwing up your poll with your blantant and utter inability to say what you mean and mean what you say.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001

did anyone in this thread say we should ONLY test old people? NO. i stated a specific group, but did not limit it to them. you tainted the results with your blatant and utter stupidity.

Are you a moron that is unable to make a poll that is clear? You asked "Should there be a test for old people...not 40-50 but really old" (paraphrasing here). And then when I say they should have testing for everyone you claim that you never stated that it was for a specific group? How about I put up a poll saying "Do you think 12 year olds should be able to buy beer". And then when people vote no, I'll bitch about how "I never stated a specific group I meant it to include every". You are the only one who is screwing up your poll with your blantant and utter inability to say what you mean and mean what you say.

rolleye.gif
i was clarifying what i meant by old

blantant and utter

cant think of your own words to use, eh?

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003

rolleye.gif
i was clarifying what i meant by old

blantant and utter

cant think of your own words to use, eh?

Dude, so you are admitting I'm right? Your poll was totally clear and then when I posted a response you tried to tell me your poll actually meant something else. You don't make any sense, and you can't come back with a rebuttal of your own so you try to make fun of the words I use? By the way, taking someone else's words and then changing them around slightly is a commonly used and witty technique when OWNING someone the way I just OWNED you! Now sit down and shut up

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001

Dude, so you are admitting I'm right? Your poll was totally clear and then when I posted a response you tried to tell me your poll actually meant something else. You don't make any sense, and you can't come back with a rebuttal of your own so you try to make fun of the words I use? By the way, taking someone else's words and then changing them around slightly is a commonly used and witty technique when OWNING someone the way I just OWNED you! Now sit down and shut up

rolleye.gif
the best part about this one is where you declared that you owned me. regardless of how badly you may think you owned me, you are the only person so far to have a giant cork stuck in your anus, so the problem clearly isnt me. yes, i do realize that a lot of people can make an extremely witty and hard to argue with statement by reusing previously said words, but you did not do a good job of that. but, before that, you tried to say i had no comeback at all and i was forced to make fun of your word choice...did you not see the comment right above that? nice one.

FYI, you are also the first person on AT that i have ever seen say you owned someone. that is almost as lame as people who quote themselves.

Are you a moron that is unable to make a poll that is clear?

Your poll was totally clear

make up your mind idiot. OMG I PWNED YOU SO HARD!!!
rolleye.gif