• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Poll: Doom 3 is 17 years old, now with infinite flashlight!

Your favorite Doom game(s)?

• Ultimate

Votes: 4 23.5%

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • TNT

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Plutonia

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Resurrection of Evil

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Lost Mission

Votes: 2 11.8%

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Eternal

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I’ve finished it close to a dozen times so this time around I tried something different: infinite flashlight. A contentious issue back in the day so this might interest some people.

Poking around the console, it didn’t take me long to figure it out. Works fine with existing saves or new start, in Doom 3 BFG and its two expansions:

Code:
flashlight_batteryDrainTimeMS    0
flashlight_batteryFlickerPercent 0
We have new entries since the last time, so a new poll is in order.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
The SNES version of Doom 1 is my favorite (Not in the list, so I selected ultimate). It had the best sound and music for its day thanks to the FX chip. I also have Doom 1 for 32X, which had the best graphics of any Doom port for its day (it ran at a much higher resolution). But the audio was inferior to that of the SNES.

The flash light was such an annoying thing in Doom 3. Having flashlights mounted to firearms is common place in todays military. Pretty sure it would still be common place in the future. Which is why the flashlight duck tape mod was so popular.

Reactions: bigi

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
OG Doom (as ultimate on this poll) and Doom 2 are legendary and would still stand out to this day among the crowd of indie retro shooters that are being released at a precipitous clip.

Doom 3 was basically System Shock 3 with all the actual gameplay and narrative depth removed. Would have been an incredible opportunity for iD to tack on some "Shock-Like" elements to their game that allowed character building and Doom 3 would have been Bioshock before bioshock.

2016 was a helluva revival for Doom and really cements itself as an incredible fps that sort of resets the genre and gets back to basics. It took me right back to those days on my old CRT monitor when I trip a trap on one of the old doom levels, hear the "whew" noise of a bunch of trap doors opening, monsters hissing and roaring and knowing that if I stopped moving I'd die.

Haven't played Eternal, but everything I've read basically reinforces the minimalism and purity of the 2016 reboot.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
You know, I know Doom 2016 was a great reboot. I had fun with it.

But it couldn't compare to Doom II's distinct satisfying feel. And this isn't just nostalgia, I'll tell you why:
  • Reboot has all these incessant platforming gameplay. I can't stand platforming in FPS. Doom wasn't like this, at least not this excessive.
  • Double jump and double dash. Ugh. Then you had to use double jump and double dash to reach incredibly far off places for secrets. Am I playing Supermario / Shovel knight?
  • The gameplay is too puzzle-like. Doom II had a fine finesse between chaos and chaotic balance. Sure, the reboot is very FAST paced but you have to surgically dismantle and prioritize specific enemies. It feels too much like a puzzle.

Doom - 8/10 (groundbreaking, but II made it better)

Doom II - 10/10 (fully realized massive enemies + super shotgun!)

Doom 3 - 6/10 This was different - more smaller scaled horror shooter. This was eclipsed by the fully world-building Half Life 2 and emergence of Call of Duty shooters.

Doom 2016 7/10 - I think people praise it because it didn't fail. My points made above make it hard for me to love it.

Doom Immortal 5/10 - I couldn't even finish.

Reactions: Shmee and bigi

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Doom 2 was awesome. 2016 was just okay as graphics, speed were very good but the extremely linear game play, arena style combat, and awful boss levels were major detractors. Eternal improved on all these but then went and killed itself with the stupid platforming crap. After falling into lava how many times? playing on the monkey bars, I bagged it w/o finishing.

Shmee

Memory and Storage, Graphics Cards
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I really liked Doom 3, but also classic Doom, including Doom 64. I didn't like the new Dooms as much, though the 2016 reboot was pretty good still. I think my favorite overall would have to be of the classic Doom series, with various mods/wads. So far I think the Extermination day campaign from the brutal doom project did the best telling of the story.

ASK THE COMMUNITY