POLL:Does a QB have to win a Super Bowl to be considered a GREAT QB??

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jaydee

Diamond Member
May 6, 2000
Jim Kelly was one of the best, never won the big one, nor had the most talent. But man, that guy could run an offense...

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: PlatinumGold
Originally posted by: JHoNNy1OoO
Originally posted by: PlatinumGold
no one has commented on Joe Montana if he had been drafted by the raiders.

Speculating such a thing is pointless. No one knows or will know. Montana could've gotten injured the first season and that was it for him or he could've done the same thing he did with the Niners. No possible way of knowing. Just like the people that speculate about Vick. He has the potential to be a great player but who knows till it's done.

speculating is what one does in a thread like this.

IF montana had been thrown in an offense that was vertical and not dump to crossing routes all the time, his weak arm would have been a real problem.

he would NOT have survived. the point here being a system can make a QB as much as a QB can make a system. vinny vs chad pennington in the Jets Offense.
What Made Montana great was his field Generalship. Plus not having a cannon for an arm doesn't mean he wouldn't have succeeded for the Raider, look at Kenny Stabler.

TC2181

Banned
Nov 20, 2003
Think about the QB's that won a super bowl in recent years, who have tumbled into mediocrity.

Trent Dilfer
Brad Johnson
Kurt Warner...

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Dilfer and Johnson are mediocre. Warner actually had a GREAT couple of years. you can't really put warner in the same class as the other two as the Rams needed warner to win whereas the Ravens and Bucs could have won with other QB's.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
They don't have to win a Super Bowl to be great, but if they are the reason why their team never won the Super Bowl I don't think that should be ignored. (Dan Marino)

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Dead Parrot Sketch
They don't have to win a Super Bowl to be great, but if they are the reason why their team never won the Super Bowl I don't think that should be ignored. (Dan Marino)
If Marino's Dolphins had played anybody else other than the Great Montana Led Niners in his only Super Bowl apperance they probably would have won.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
If Marino's Dolphins had played anybody else other than the Great Montana Led Niners in his only Super Bowl apperance they probably would have won.

Yea, well if the Bengals could have played somebody else than the same Niners they definately would have won ! Joe didn't beat them until the last, I think it might have been the Montana Niners closest call.

But that wouldn't make Boomer a great QB.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

Yea, well if the Bengals could have played somebody else than the same Niners they definately would have won ! Joe didn't beat them until the last, I think it might have been the Montana Niners closest call.

But that wouldn't make Boomer a great QB.

boomer was a pretty good qb. i'm not sure about great, but i'd say at least as good as phil simms if not better.