POLL: Do you type (in)correctly? (specifically: 'Y', 'B' keys w/ right or left hand?)

bizmark

Banned
Feb 4, 2002
I'm pretty good with typing from the home-row keys but I always type the 'Y' key with my left index finger instead of my right like I'm supposed to.

Really pisses me off when I use one of those Natural Keyboards and I can't reach the 'Y'.

edit: changed the title of the thread.

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
I type correctly now, but before I got my ergonomic, I used to hit 'b' with the right hand.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
It's the "B" that gets me...according to the Natural Keyboard I use, the hand I feel best with is wrong

Keego

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2000
I hate ergo keyboards :disgust:

yes, I can type very well, thank you very much :)

Goldfish

Platinum Member
Jun 10, 2001
I've got you all beat, I type correctly on both ergonomic and regular keyboards ;).

flot

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000
That's curious. Why would you type the 'y' with your left hand? Do you type the 't' with your right hand? ;-)

Fingers in the right place, used to be able to type ~110-120 wpm. When I'm thinking while I'm writing it's about 40, when I'm copying something, it's a good 60-80.

Back when I was first learning to type, I didn't believe it when people told me it was better to type with your fingers in the correct places. I could hunt and peck and get 30-40 wpm. But as usual, "they" turned out to be right in the end.

SyahM

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2001
does it really matter? i thought as long as you could type fast then you're fine.

bizmark

Banned
Feb 4, 2002
Added a few new categories to match up w/ what people said.

Actually, I'm like blinderbomber. Thing is, I didn't realize that I used the wrong finger for the 'B' :eek::eek:

No, SyahM, it really doesn't matter, but hey, this is ATOT!

littlelilith

Jul 15, 2000
I type correctly on all keyboards except for the C. I use my left index finger instead of my left middle finger.. I find using the left middle finger a really awkward reach for the C, so I've always done it the wrong way.

polypterus

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2001
I type correctly, except I rest my wrists on the desk, which I guess you're not supposed to do, apparently.

dc

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
I type properly. I don't think I would be able to type at 100-150wpm without making mistakes if I didn't type properly.

I have a nice ergo keyboard... mmm

-RSI

Mungla

Dec 23, 2000
I do not care what finger hits what, as long as I can type error-free and speedy. I can hit 100-120wpm on my natural and around 140wpm with a standard keyboard arranged for Dvorak. I have my CS computer setup for Dvorak and it works great. That computer freaks people out because the keyboard layout is still QWERTY, but Windows accepts the input as Dvorak.

BTW - I have a MS Natural Keyboard Elite here at home. I type "Y" with my right hand and "B" with my left hand.

Logix

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2001
Hey, I just realized I type the "y" key with my left hand too. But, that's because my right hand drifts to the right while I'm typing, so it's easier to reach the "backspace" key.

Edit: No wonder I have trouble with natural keyboards. :eek:

DaLeroy

Golden Member
Dec 4, 2000
Ergo keyboards are suck! :)

Yup, type every key with correct fingers! :)

With all you people typing 100-150 words, how to do you work it out? The proper way (ie, 5 characters is a word) or per actual word typed?

jonnyGURU

Moderator <BR> Power Supplies
Oct 30, 1999
Wait a minute.. Do I not understand your verbiage or am I completely ignorant.

With my fingers on the home row keys, I would think I'd hit the "Y" with the right hand and the "B" with the left as they are both one key away from the home row.

Do you mean to say that I'm supposed to stretch my finger over to the "Y" with my left hand? :|

Jerboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2001

<< I'm pretty good with typing from the home-row keys but I always type the 'Y' key with my left index finger instead of my right like I'm supposed to.

Really pisses me off when I use one of those Natural Keyboards and I can't reach the 'Y'.
>>

The only rule I don't follow is the shift key. When I capitalize the keys. For example, when you type in LALALALA, you're supposed to alternate between two shift key according to the text book. Left shift for L and right shift for A, but I just use he left in this situation.

raptor13

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I type a good 130wpm on my Logitech Wireless Pro (i.e. natural layout) keyboard using the Dvorak layout. By the way, I think all of you should switch over to Dvorak. It's great fun seeing your friends not be able to use your computer and get all flustered by it. Heehee!

bizmark

Banned
Feb 4, 2002

<< Wait a minute.. Do I not understand your verbiage or am I completely ignorant.
With my fingers on the home row keys, I would think I'd hit the "Y" with the right hand and the "B" with the left as they are both one key away from the home row.
>>

You're supposed to hit 'Y' with the right hand and 'B' with the left hand. What I'm asking is, do you type correctly, or do you have this specific error of hitting the 'Y' key with your left hand? I can see how it'd be a bit confusing from the wording of the title. I'll change it.

Mungla

Dec 23, 2000
The Dvorak layout puts the most commonly used keys in central locations (closer to your natural hand position), thus allowing your fingers to hit those specific keys faster. Less commonly used letters, such as z, are spaced outwards.

Also, generally, the Dvorak layout is more efficient and allows for faster typing speeds. A person that types 100wpm with QWERTY can probably type 130wpm with Dvorak.