Poll: Do you still use optical drives?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Bluray.jpg

So I just hooked up my optical drive for the first time since moving to Windows 10. It's probably been about 18 months since I last used it, and I purchased it back in 2009.

I ripped a new music CD I just purchased to my iTunes library. This is an LG SATA Bluray drive connected externally through a PCI eSATA bracket.

I also use it occasionally to access old original game media, and to watch Bluray/DVD movies. Also if I'm doing something that needs physical ISOs.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
I finally took out my internal bluray burner recently. Decided to keep it around with a cheap SATA to USB cable + power supply for a few use cases ..

1. I still buy CDs and like to copy flac to my pc
2. M-disc is a nice second or third tier backup method for photos

I guess realistically that is it. I don’t miss the annoying sound it makes every time I power the pc on or out of standby. Officially no mechanical storage left in my pc now that I replaced my raid1 data hard drives with a 4TB SSD + backups.

quartzz1

Aug 11, 2018
regularly....no. if I need it? well, 6 months ago I bought one of those cd-to-2.5mm adapters for my laptop. I've (obviously?) kept the cd drive. so for regular use I have a laptop with dual SSD, but I've got the disc drive if I need to connect it.

I barely use any optical nowadays....re installing windows is the only situation I'll probably need it for. can USB an external CD/DVD if I need it

the last time I had to read any kind of optical disc was...a few years back

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Man. I still have 1000s of blank DVD disks. I went through a buying frenzy over 10 years ago when Newegg had sales on Ritek DVDs and I would buy hundreds at a time. Ah, wasted $$$.
I did the SAME thing. Got DVD spindles stacked up on top of all of my shelves, pretty-much. Archeologists are going to pick through my stuff, and it will be like the Pepsi commercial un-earthing a Coca-Cola bottle. "What is it???" "No idea!"

Reactions: Oyeve

Jimminy

May 19, 2020
I did the SAME thing. Got DVD spindles stacked up on top of all of my shelves, pretty-much. Archeologists are going to pick through my stuff, and it will be like the Pepsi commercial un-earthing a Coca-Cola bottle. "What is it???" "No idea!"

Maybe you should try selling them. I have a DVD drive in an old refurb I'm using, but no blank disks. I did have a few CDs and it worked fine with those, but I don't know if it actually works with DVDs.

Jimminy

May 19, 2020
A real dumb question ... Are DVD disks the exact same size as CDs ? Will they fit in spindles and cases that were from the stone CD age???

I think I'm going to buy a small amount of dvd blanks from ebay just to see if this ancient dell drive works. The least expensive disks only come in shrink wrap, so I need to be sure they'll fit in my old (relic) cases :)

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
A real dumb question ... Are DVD disks the exact same size as CDs ? Will they fit in spindles and cases that were from the stone CD age???

I think I'm going to buy a small amount of dvd blanks from ebay just to see if this ancient dell drive works. The least expensive disks only come in shrink wrap, so I need to be sure they'll fit in my old (relic) cases :)
I think they are the same size.

Jimminy

May 19, 2020
I think they are the same size.

Thanks sdifox! I'm going to buy some on ebay right now.

Next dumb question ... If I burn a data disk, how can I set the burn speed in win 10 ? I remember in the old days, some cheap audio CDs wouldn't burn reliably at higher speeds. I don't see any way to set this in the built-in windows drivers.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

Next dumb question ... If I burn a data disk, how can I set the burn speed in win 10 ? I remember in the old days, some cheap audio CDs wouldn't burn reliably at higher speeds. I don't see any way to set this in the built-in windows drivers.

Use ImgBurn, it's free-as-in-beer software. May get flagged by A/V for "OpenCandy", make sure to decline companion software offers.

www.imgburn.com

Another one is "CDBurnerXP", but I've never used that one.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

I never used the built in burning program. Burning data disc at full speed is not really an issure, it's an audio cd problem.

Jimminy

May 19, 2020
Use ImgBurn, it's free-as-in-beer software. May get flagged by A/V for "OpenCandy", make sure to decline companion software offers.

www.imgburn.com

Another one is "CDBurnerXP", but I've never used that one.

Thanks Larry and Sdifox. I bought these old 8x speed disks on ebay:

They seem to be "+dvd" as opposed to "-dvd", whatever that means. But HWINFO indicates this old drive can read and write the minus and plus disks. LOL Next I will go bowling with Fred Flintstone !!!

• Haha
Reactions: Oyeve

Stiff Clamp

Feb 3, 2021
Yep, got a blu-ray internal drive for playing movies on DVD, or ripping/playing music CDs. Kind of limits my choice of PC case though - needs to have a drive bay.

I never got into storing data to optical discs ...

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Man. I still have 1000s of blank DVD disks. I went through a buying frenzy over 10 years ago when Newegg had sales on Ritek DVDs and I would buy hundreds at a time. Ah, wasted $$$.

I wouldn't say it's wasted. It was just the latest tech at the time. I burned thousands of discs back in the day.Then I decided to go diskless.

My wife was always resistant to change. But ever so often, I would just start to make changes in how I stored data. With flash drives, storage on your phone, storage in the cloud and my home server that connects to all my devices, I really don't have a need for an optical drive. Occasionally, I'll want to run some older disc, but that is so WinXP days.

I mean, we don't need them for music. We don't need them for movies. We don't need them to put a copy of software or drivers on them any longer.

I have an LG Blu-Ray burner in my main rig. I plan on using it to make ISOs of my videos (DVD/BD) when I finish my home server. That's when I will finally box up my discs and put them in storage instead of my living room.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
What has damaged, I won't say killed optical, are streaming services, both legal and illegal. We used to buy and rip media several times a month, usually used, but with netflix and prime video, Pandora, youtube etc, why bother?

Still as I said in my first post on this topic, I will be buying a burner for BDxl m-disc, to get one more stage of redundant on important data.

quartzz1

Aug 11, 2018

ok right without reading new replies...

diameter wise yes. 120mm. thickness wise, they are a slightly different manufacturing process. CD's are a thin layer of reflective on substrate which is more or less 1.2mm (yes that was a google)

DVD''s-writeables at least, are more of a two-seperate-thin-layers (0.6mm each) bonded together. source - I used to fix machines which wrote 500 discs at a time. the robot picker arms which picked up the centre hole, the manufacturing plastic mold could be a factor

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I just bought an internal SATA Blu Ray drive. I haven't had an internal optical drive in years, looks a little funny now....but works like a charm.