• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Poll: Do you still use optical drives?

Tick all that apply

• Internal SATA

Votes: 14 73.7%
  • Internal IDE

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • USB

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • eSATA

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • I never use optical drives

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000

So I just hooked up my optical drive for the first time since moving to Windows 10. It's probably been about 18 months since I last used it, and I purchased it back in 2009.

I ripped a new music CD I just purchased to my iTunes library. This is an LG SATA Bluray drive connected externally through a PCI eSATA bracket.

I also use it occasionally to access old original game media, and to watch Bluray/DVD movies. Also if I'm doing something that needs physical ISOs.

Paperdoc

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2006
I use an optical drive infrequently, but I NEED it sometimes. I use it for installing software (still prefer to have a disk to keep). Also for important utilities that need to run without Windows when things go really wrong, like Seagate SeaTools, etc. - download an .iso image and burn to a CD+R or DVD+R, and boot from that to do the testing and repairs. For example, I've used that to completely wipe an old HDD by Zero-Fill (NO other drives attached to avoid errors!) before storing or installing stuff on it. I used it once to prepare as a gift for our granddaughter a set of DVD's containing the entire multi-year series of her favourite TV show.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I keep one around for many old games and backups I made a long time ago. Most cases don't have bays for them anymore but an external USB one is only $20 or so. I only use it rarely but it's useful to have around.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I voted internal SATA, but besides having one in a laptop by default, I use it so seldom that it's not installed in any system. If the time comes where I need it, I'll just pop the front bezel off a system where I have a wire-tie holding a spare SATA cable end and power connector, and hook it up long enough to rip the disc to a file and put on network storage, as I've done any other in the past that I might need again.

SO, odds are fair that I'll never again need to use an optical drive unless some product comes with software on a disc but no download source. If there's a download source I don't ever use the (usually same or older) version on the disc.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I use internal SATA frequently. Archiving data to burnable DVDs. I want to have a "permanent" backup (actually burn two sets) on a different type of media.

And, like the OP, ripping audio CDs which I will start doing again when we actually have concerts again. I tend to buy CDs at concerts in order to support the artists directly.

BarkingGhostar

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2009
I reconnected the BD/DVD optical drive two months ago to load the M$ Win10Pro DVD and fresh install the OS. Once I got that done I unplugged it. But we are talking about a legacy drive that is 8 years old. If I had to start from scratch I'd get an external one.

ASK THE COMMUNITY