POLL: do you steal your neighbor's internet access?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zolty

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
just for my ftp server, they always complain that thier internet is so slow.

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
I did when i lived in my previous addr. I got dial-up, and my wireless adapter caught my neighbor's wireless network, so I just gave it a try to connect, and BAM I got instant broadband. Well i felt it wasn't right so i only steal it occasionally. Now I got fiber optic broadband so i don't need to steal nobody's.

Netopia

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I already have better bandwidth than most of my neighbors... but they aren't in signal range anyway.

Just out of curiosity I loaded netstumbler on a laptop and simply drove for about 10 minutes through my neighborhood. Came up with 59 available networks, 6 of which were secure!

Joe

cy7878

Jul 2, 2003
there are at least 7 wirelss signals within reach, most are not encrypted. I did "borrow" their signal when I first moved there till I got me own -- took 1-2 days.

I would have no problem sharing my connections, if a neighbor came to my door and asked. My router is encrypted, but I would share the key with my neighbors. After all I got more bandwidth than I need.

JustAnAverageGuy

Diamond Member
Aug 1, 2003
I have 4 unsecured wifi networks within range as I type this.

I only use theirs if mine is down or the power is out.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Don't have wireless.
Also, my cable is pretty much the fastest thing available here outside of commercial service.

NiKeFiDO

Diamond Member
May 21, 2004
so many ppl dont add passwords, sometimes i just have to steal it. i mean, come on. i plan on getting wireless soon though and it will be nice and protected.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Oh hell fvck no! I tried it earlier--there are 9 active hotspots--4 of which I have access to (2 signal bars or more and no WEP/WPA) in my highrise apt.

Speed was HORRIBLE...disconnects often, made more sense to just get my own.

ToastedMilk

May 6, 2005
I did when we went on vacation and stayed with family who had a cable modem but no router to plug into. Their neighbor's connection was wide open.

Thanks again "Ruth".

Felt nominally guilty, but all I did was check email.

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Nik
Theft is legally defined as the removal of.

What would you be stealing?

Will their connections slow down if you're using it? This is really just a question, not being rhetorical.

cherrytwist

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2000
Need to add "occasionally" to the poll.

I occasionally use their wireless router b/c my laptop doesn't like mine.