Poll: Do you run other applications while defragging?

mackstann

Banned
Apr 17, 2001
Usually while defragging, I surf or listen to music, or both. I dont play games or do anything serious. I know some people dont touch their machine while defragging. What do you do?

MC

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2000
Nope except ICQ(N/A Mode) and an email server.

I only defrag when i was sleeping or out.

bacillus

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001

<< I only defrag when I know I'm going to be away. Otherwise, things take too long. >>

you should try norton speed disk. about x10 faster than the windows one! :Q

Killbat

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
I do a bunch of stuff when I defrag. It's not nearly as painful, though. I'm running Windows2000/NTFS. &quot;Drive's contents changed&quot; my arse. :p

Mikal

Platinum Member
Apr 11, 2001
Geez, people! I can defrag my boot drive in 20 minutes. Turn off your antivirus crap and you wouldn't have to take all night!

syzygy

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2001
there is the suped-up win me version of defrag that can be d/l for use on win9.x .
it runs much faster. shaves off an incredible amount of time and works the same.

bigcfromcinci

Elite Member
Jan 11, 2000
I walk away from it,the little blocks make me dizzy :D:D
Do it in safe mode,alot faster :)
Even if you have nothing running in the background ,but you have adsl, it will still stop and restart several times!!I cou'dnt figure why mine would start and stop aalot with nothing running,and my friend said it was the adsl :eek:

syzygy,
Do you know what the little progies called??

Mikal

Platinum Member
Apr 11, 2001
Man, I don't even run antivirus stuff in the background. I have it but run it only occasionally.

Of course, I have my home network set up behind my router AND Zonealarm on all the PC's. (Cable modem.) We don't use Outlook or IE, which really helps!

Feb 10, 2000

<< i wouldnt dare turn off antivirus on a cable modem... >>

Why not? It's not as though someone could somehow push a virus to you without your being actively involved.

I can see wanting to have a personal firewall running at all times, but frankly I am generally skeptical of the utility of virus software (as in my experience it is the brand-new viruses that cause most problems, and they are not caught even if you update your definitions daily, which most people do not), and can't see that it has any added usefulness on a cable connection.

mackstann

Banned
Apr 17, 2001

<< Why not? It's not as though someone could somehow push a virus to you without your being actively involved.

I can see wanting to have a personal firewall running at all times, but frankly I am generally skeptical of the utility of virus software (as in my experience it is the brand-new viruses that cause most problems, and they are not caught even if you update your definitions daily, which most people do not), and can't see that it has any added usefulness on a cable connection.
>>

amen. i dont use antivirus software, ever. never had a problem either. you just gotta use common sense.

Alienwho

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
virus shmirus. I have all my important stuff backed up on a slave HD and I reformat and reinstall for the hell of it every now and then anyways. I just use zonealarm.