POLL: do you put your right arm behind the front passenger seat while driving in reverse?

Lifer

Banned
Feb 17, 2003
and vice versa for those in countries where the driver sits on the right?

i find that a lot of ppl when driving in reverse will steer with the left hand, put the right arm/hand behind the front passenger seat (for leverage i guess), turn head over right shoulder to view the road behind.
i personally find it easier to use my mirrors. i rarely turn my head.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
No. I learned to use my mirrors a long time ago. Comes in handy when you're driving something that has no rear wondow view (truck, trailer, etc...)

crab

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2001
No...My left hand steers and my right does gas/brake/blinkers/horn/wipers/headlights... All mirrors baby.

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
no, but I will do the Frank Costanza 'stop short' move now and then.

p.s. I don't see how you guys can back up by using mirrors only.

MacBaine

Banned
Aug 23, 2001
Originally posted by: crab
No...My left hand steers and my right does gas/brake/blinkers/horn/wipers/headlights... All mirrors baby.

You use your hand for gas/brake?

crab

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2001
Originally posted by: MacBaine

Yes.

PowerMacG5

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Amused
No. I learned to use my mirrors a long time ago. Comes in handy when you're driving something that has no rear wondow view (truck, trailer, etc...)
Same here. Try backing an 18 wheeler in using just mirrors. It's interesting :p.

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
Originally posted by: MacBaine

Yes.

that's cool. I have one friend who doesn't have the use of his legs, my other friend (the most generous person I've ever known) rebuilt a '69 Camaro as a gift and equipped it with hand controls. some gift eh?

TwinkleToes77

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2002
I've tried it a few times, but I find it easier to just use the mirrors. When i put my hand behind the seat i tend not to be able to control the steering of the car as well.

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Amused

Same here. Of course its a lot easier to do driving a truck or SUV that actually has USABLE mirrors.

esun

Platinum Member
Nov 12, 2001
Sometimes, but usually not. Only when I need to gauge the distance between my car and an obstacle more accurately than usual (which seems easier with a fuller view than the mirrors provide).

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
I only do this when I am reversing for some reason. Otherwise it's just one hand on my shifter and one hand on the steering wheel.

HiTek21

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2002
Sometimes when theres something I have to avoid while backing up. Most of the time I will glance over my shoulder and back up.

AsianriceX

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2001
Ever since I had backed up into my mom's car that was parked directly behind me, I've been looking backwards while reversing. I was in a hurry, and I didn't walk around, and I was driving my truck, and her car is so small, and I didn't notice... I'm not stupid, stop looking at me like that!

johnjosh

Banned
Dec 13, 2003
it all depends how fast i am going what is behind me. if i am in parking lot then yes i will put my hand back as its much easier. If there is really nothing behind me or i am movin slow then no i will just use my mirrors.