POLL: Do you pay taxes on online purchases when you file your taxes?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
So, do you keep receipts or a general tally and then pay the appropriate sales taxes when you file your yearly return?

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008
No, I make most big purchases out of state. Places like Amazon are the way to go.

Thinking of buying a car in Delaware for this reason.

Feb 24, 2001
Originally posted by: winnar111
No, I make most big purchases out of state. Places like Amazon are the way to go.

Vehicles are taxed in the state in which they are registered. You don't pay sales tax to the state in which you buy it. You're paying the tax if you want it registered. Unless you live in a state that has free registration or something.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
You're kidding, right? You're asking people if they are committing a crime?

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Originally posted by: BrunoPuntzJones
Originally posted by: winnar111

Vehicles are taxed in the state in which they are registered. You don't pay sales tax to the state in which you buy it. You're paying the tax if you want it registered. Unless you live in a state that has free registration or something.

QFT.

If your state has sales tax on cars and you buy a car out of state, when you register it in your state they'll charge you the sales tax. Likewise, if you buy the car in a state with sales tax, but you are going to register it a different state you can file out a form so you don't have to pay in the purchasing state.