Poll: Do you have stereoscopic vision? Test inside

Aves

Lifer
Feb 7, 2001
I'll try tomorrow or something. I simply can't put my nose to my monitor on April 1st.

Edit: OK I braved it. I see 2 eyes so I guess I'm good. I've never had trouble seeing those 3D picture things.

brigden

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2002
I don't care much for this instruction:

"Center your nose over the brown eye below."

Aves

Lifer
Feb 7, 2001
Originally posted by: brigden
I don't care much for this instruction:

"Center your nose over the brown eye below."
Yeah I know what you mean. :D

faZZter

Golden Member
Feb 21, 2001
I thought everyone would have this ability.........to see in "stereo." Otherwise their depth perception would be pretty crappy.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: faZZter
I thought everyone would have this ability.........to see in "stereo." Otherwise their depth perception would be pretty crappy.

"It's a missile!"
"How far away is it?"
"I dunno.... A trillion miles?"
BOOM

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Chaotic42

"It's a missile!"
"How far away is it?"
BOOM

I'd look for a trigonometric parallax shift :)

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Chaotic42

"It's a missile!"
"How far away is it?"
BOOM

Well, it might have been moving really fast, okay? ;)

NTB

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2001
No go here...but then, I'm nearly blind in my right eye: 20/25 or so in my left eye, 20/200 in my right :eek:

Nate

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
I have intermitent alternation, basically my eyes don't see in stereo, I can choose which eye I want to look at you through. A side effect of this is that I have perfect 3D vision, so much so that my doctor was scared after he gave me the test.

Ikonomi

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2003
I was just outside shooting baskets with one eye. It's hard at first with no depth perception, but you get used to it.

Why? Because my left contact slips out of place when I look at the lights right behind the goal. No clue why.

Oh yeah, the test... Uh, yeah, I passed, and I went on to look at some of the Magic-Eye-type pictures. I love those. I used to be able to do them backwards, so instead of popping out, they sunk in, but I forgot how.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
It's definately possible to not have this ability. :)

And yeah, it does mess with your depth perception, but you can compensate. When I go to grab something, I might accidently be short 1 out of 20 times. No big deal.

It doesen't seem to affect (my) long-range depth perception, IE: while driving or doing something else where you're looking out ahead.

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
"Put your free thumb in front of your nose"

Since they gave no thumb instructions prior to that, what exactly do they think I was doing with that thumb? **sniffs thumb**

And would it have been too much effort to put the eye in the middle of the frickin page?

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Yossarian
And would it have been too much effort to put the eye in the middle of the frickin page?
No doubt. :confused:

NTB

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2001

you would be right, at least in my case. Others may be different. My short-range depth perception is fine; long range is lousy sometimes. Hardest problem I've had so far is parking/driving behind someone - I have a hard time telling how close I am to the vehicle in front of me. Over time I've gotten good at estimating the distance though, and as a general rule I stay well back, just in case. I haven't rear-ended anybody yet :)

Nate

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Ikonomi
Why? Because my left contact slips out of place when I look at the lights right behind the goal. No clue why.
That's weird. I have the same problem with my contacts when I watch football night games in stadiums. The lights totally make my contacts bug out. I don't know why either.

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: NTB

you would be right, at least in my case. Others may be different. My short-range depth perception is fine; long range is lousy sometimes. Hardest problem I've had so far is parking/driving behind someone - I have a hard time telling how close I am to the vehicle in front of me. Over time I've gotten good at estimating the distance though, and as a general rule I stay well back, just in case. I haven't rear-ended anybody yet :)

Nate
Interesting.

Must just be how our brains "automatically" compensate. I have absolutely no problems with depth perception more than reaching distance. It's only when I go to grab something close that I'll grab short, but it's not very often, and it happens so fast- the grab, and re-grab(always get it on the second time), that you don't really even pay attention.

Slacker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Wow, that is fking awesome, I can cross view and parallel view all of those, when you parallel view it the flat picture becomes a background with the object/s floating in front of it, when you cross view it is the opposite, the flat picture pops out and floats in front of your screen and the object/s are floating inside it!

Murphy Durphy

Golden Member
Aug 12, 2003
Originally posted by: Slacker
Try this one, called flying fish, it is not a hidden image but a "floater"

Whoa! thats so cool, I can see it! <<< Thats what everybody says the first time they "get it"

Why can't they just make entire games made to be run in that mode? They'd look super-3D! I'd imagine there would be some intense eye-strain and vision problems to follow up after extended viewing however...but it'd be so worth it.