Poll: Do you fill your car when you get gas?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bootprint

Diamond Member
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: mchammer187
Originally posted by: Bootprint
It depends, lately the price has been on a rollercoster.

Some times, I'll get home at night and the price is X, by morning it's X+9(cents a Litre) until later in the evening.

Last friday night before Midnight it was 72.9 cents a Litre, after midnight it was 79.9.

still though how much are you really saving per trip

that is 7 cents a gallon
even if you drive some gas guzzler that holds 30 gallons that is $2.10 cents

even if you earn minimum wage assum $6.00 /hr

if you are saving $2.00 than that is worth 20 minutes of your time but you also have to factor in the extra gas as well so in essence you are gaining little to nothing

unless you feel your time is worthless than by all means

But for me It's 7 cents a Litre, so triple that number.

I only get about 4 days of going to work per full tank, so some time during the week I'm still going to need to fill up.

PanzerIV

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2002
Back when gas was cheap and I didn't have far to go to school or work I was one of those $5.00 here and $5.00 there types. After I bought an SUV that changed very quickly. I just traded in the SUV but I have no plans on changing my fill 'er up habit because work is an 80 mile round trip and even though my car gets better gas mileage than my SUV did that would still be a lot of stops at the gas station and a waste of time.

anno

Golden Member
May 1, 2003
Originally posted by: amish
i have to fill it up everytime due to an unfortunate problem. i drive a 97 monte carlo with a bad gas guage. if i don't fill up everytime, trip the counter, and drive till i hit 240 miles, i run out of gas. :(

we have to do that with one of our cars too. but we fill them all, usually.. getting gas is funless.. why do it more often than you have to?

puffff

Platinum Member
Jun 25, 2004
if i run really low on gas around my neighborhood, i get a few dollars. if i get gas around the gas stations at work, i fill up. reason being it the price difference is anywhere between 5-10 cents a gallon. waiting to fill up at work saves me a little change.

wfn

Feb 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Rallispec
yes -- because i'd rather pay 16bucks all at once and only have to stop for gas once a week-- than fill up 4-5 dollars at a time and fill up every other day.

the only way i can see paying $16 for gas is:

1. you have a motorcycle
2. you drive a geo metro or subaru justy or one of those 3 cyl. cars.
3. you live in saudi arabia

every time i fill up its at least $42

also, on older cars it's recommended to have a full tank. i remember reading somewhere that it helps to prevent it from rusting or something like that

ondarkness

Platinum Member
Nov 10, 2004
My civic fills up at costco for 26ish.
-I heard its bad to do one or the other due to some sort of oxidation or somethin.

I wonder if Costco will take back my gas in the form of exhaust for a refund if I dont like it.
Provably.

SuperPickle

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2001
I usually fill it up, unless I'm running low on cash. It costs ~$60 to fill the tanks every ten days or so
<----dumbass drives a gas-guzzling truck 20k mi/yr.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Wow, I'm surprised so many people go for the straight fillup.

My dad has always just put 10$ into the tank, I guess it carried over.

ravana

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2002
Originally posted by: moshquerade
i usually fill it up. i go to the same full service station if i can and get my windows washed and oil checked along with it.

Where is this full service gas station. In all the 6 some years I have lived in the US I have never seen one!

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
I just fill up, no point for me at least to fill up a few bucks each time

I think I'll have to fill up gas tomorrow :(

whattaguy

Jun 3, 2004
Originally posted by: ravana
i usually fill it up. i go to the same full service station if i can and get my windows washed and oil checked along with it.

Where is this full service gas station. In all the 6 some years I have lived in the US I have never seen one!

Drive through Oregon...all stations are full-service. In fact, you don't have a choice.

mwtgg

Lifer
Dec 6, 2001
Originally posted by: whattaguy
Originally posted by: ravana

Drive through Oregon...all stations are full-service. In fact, you don't have a choice.

Same with New Jersey, it's state law.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I fill it up. my car gets good gas milage (~20/mpg) and I only commute 4 miles/day to work, so I only spend about $30-$40/month on gas.

I've gotten in the habit of convincing my friends to drive whenever we're going on long trips :p

Originally posted by: loki8481
I fill it up. my car gets good gas milage (~20/mpg) and I only commute 4 miles/day to work, so I only spend about $30-$40/month on gas.

I've gotten in the habit of convincing my friends to drive whenever we're going on long trips :p
And you don't offer to throw them money for gas?
What a worthless cheapskate asshole.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: SampSon
Originally posted by: loki8481

And you don't offer to throw them money for gas?
What a worthless cheapskate asshole.

:cookie:

for the 10 years that I've had my friends, it's just how we've always done things. nothing to do with being cheap.