Poll: do you change your gaming control scheme?

Tick all that apply

• 1. Default (no changes)

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • 2. Mouse/controller sensitivity and/or axis inversion

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • 3. Change the odd keybind/button

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • 4. Full control overhaul

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • 5. Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I've watched a few "let's plays" over the years and one thing many have in common is that they don't adjust keybinds.

"What key is healing?" they ask, and I'll think "it's whatever you want it to be". Then they'll check the controls and say "oh, it's g" (or whatever).

FPS/TPS: 2 & 4 because I use ESDF + inverted but every such game I've ever seen defaults WASD + non-inverted.

ARPG: 3 because the odd key may get changed (e.g. loot filter, camera reset, etc).

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I always change keys, and almost all of them. I have a G13 keypad and several programmable mouse buttons that I'm used to binding for various things.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
I always do some Mouse tweaks and mostly have to tweak keyboard binds. It bugs me when 1 developer with 2 franchises chooses 2 different keys for "Use" (E or F for example), it's like they're trying to tick me off. ESDF is a change I try to make whenever possible. I remember back in the 90's games used to use the arrow keys and having to cross my arms to use them and the other required keys, thankfully those days are long gone.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
i've been using WADS since Quake in the 90s. (In the quake demo, I used arrow keys, like in previous games, but, i quickly became a "mouser" when i first played online deathmatch and CTF matches)

That said, I ALWAYs disable "mouse smoothing" and almost always increase mouse sensitivity.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I use TFGH and rebind most keys to my mouse or keys closer to the middle of the keyboard to make playing more comfortable. It doesn't matter what type of game I'm playing - I'll rebind damn near everything. WASD has never felt natural to me since it restricts your hand to the left side of the keyboard, whereas TFGH lets you put your hand in the middle and gives you access to far more options. Granted, using Shift to alternate between multiple skill bars might be a pain for someone with smaller hands, but if you're really using that many different skills, I'm sure rebinding Shift to something closer won't be too difficult. Escape From Tarkov is one of the outliers here since there are so many things to do in-game, using Shift/Alt/Ctrl + "Key" is almost a requirement to play effectively - but after a very lengthy process of playing with keybinds, I got it to work in my favor.

However, this does pose as an issue with some games. As I recently found out with Trine 4, "T" is hardcoded to "Chat" for some reason because "Enter" is also hardcoded to "Chat" as well. I spoke with one of the developers directly and they just said they didn't think anyone would be using T for upward movement and they never removed the hardcoded key. The good thing about Trine 4 is that you don't use upward movement all that often and if you're using the Thief, you can use the scroll wheel to ascend ropes instead of "T". Trine 4 aside, there have been other games with hardcoded keys which made playing the game almost impossible (such as leaving QTEs hardcoded) and in a very small number of cases - resulted in me refunding the game (looking at you Neon Abyss). Thankfully, the number of developers who are hardcoding keys is very small.

Last edited:

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I use the G13 and mouse for all FPS/RPG games, a gamepad for racing/platformer games, and keyboard only for a few flight/space/6DOF games. For those I have been using a numpad+arrows layout since Descent and Freespace.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
By and large I'll use the default KB+M or controller options, but I'll tweak here or there as makes sense.

Usually I start the game with the default control settings, then swap things around as it feels natural or makes sense based on how the game actually plays.

Some stuff however, like mouse smoothing or acceleration, get canned by default.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
well most modern games have figured out the "proper" settings so not much to change. Mouse sens will always need adjusting as i'm on 1000dpi.

Tbh i know of some Quake 3 / QuakeLive eSports professionals who use absolutely absurd settings (jump bind to mouse2, and shoot with space ?!??) and they have lengthy explanations as to the ergonomics involved, down to human musculature, but i cannot be bothered. I'm perfectly fine with WASD, i just really cannot stand Q and E being the "lean/peek" keys - i use these for quick actions (grenades, heals, powers, etc).

I got a copy of the old Deus Ex Human Revolution (2011) and as soon as i found out that there was no way to set ADS and Crouch to HOLD instead of TOGGLE i uninstalled the game.

I'm ok with crouch being Ctrl *or* Alt, but sprint will always be Shift.

i'm sorry but there are waaaaaay too many games that use this control scheme and i'm not going to bother fighting my own muscle memory for your shit "i've never played a shooter in my life" control scheme.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Not much beyond binding specific functions to mouse thumb buttons. Things like dodge/slide and healing and mele/alternate attack or whatever, when those are necessary mechanics in the game. Sometimes you have to rebind them to random keys, though, to make that work.

Keybindings have become mostly standardized these days that I don't spend much time with it.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I just play. Configuring controls seems too much like work. Same reason I don't install mods.

I have limited free time. I just want to spend it playing.

But sometimes I'm forced to turn down mouse or axis sensitivity because it's too unbearable.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I'm a leftist so I change most of the key assignments. Arrows for movement. Del, End, Page Down for frequently used stuff. Rt-shift run, Rt-control crouch, Rt-Alt jump. Enter use. Flip the mouse buttons.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
On the note of lefty's, has anyone experimented with changing guns view models to the left side in FPS games?

I'm naturally a lefty in real life, but when I tried this in a game like CS:GO it felt so strange, I had this weird sensation in my left eye, as if something was almost pressing against it.