Poll: Do the survivors and the families of the Tulsa Race Massacre deserve reparations?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Should the survivors and their families be paid reparations from the state of Oklahoma?

• Yes

Votes: 43 69.4%
  • No

Votes: 19 30.6%

• Total voters

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
It wasn't solely prompted by racism. The original black guy they wanted to lynch was accused of assaulting a white woman. Repatriations are usually payed for by the people or entity that caused they harm. In this case, it was the people in the mob.

Freudian slip?

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Mommy government isnt responsible for everything. The government is not responsible for the actions of a lawless mob.

I didn't say it was. However, if suddenly ~10,000 people are made homeless and the government sits there with its thumb up its butt, it's responsible for that.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
That's what the red cross is for.

I'm sure the black business owners would have been happy to have their insurance claims paid, at a minimum. I guess they should have thought to buy "murderous mob of inbred racist Okies" coverage.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Matt390

Jun 7, 2019
I'm sure the black business owners would have been happy to have their insurance claims paid, at a minimum. I guess they should have thought to buy "murderous mob of inbred racist Okies" coverage.

Riots generally are excluded from insurance.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Not that this is possible for your kind, but maybe you'll wise up and realize that if we want to give in to reparations for things done generations ago, we can go back centuries and millennia and realize how stupid all of it is and nothing will ever get sorted out. And in the end Chicago will still be Chicago.

But you all can keep trying... It's funny from my end as well.
The Chicago bit never fails.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
It's entirely about racism. The accusation of assault that started everything was based on a false claim of assault that the alleged victim denied; it hinged around racist fears of Black men violating White girls. It was racist talk in the newspaper that led a Black group to protect the accused man; it was a racist standoff at the courthouse that led to gunfire; the White mob certainly didn't need to raze the larger "Black Wall Street."

And if racism wasn't the driving factor, why were historians silent about it? Why weren't people charged for the violence? Why did it take the National Guard to bring things under control? This was not just the act of a mob. It had the tacit approval of local authorities, the media, and a White community that wanted its stereotypes validated and to stifle Black success.

And reparation (not repatriation, that's a different word) is not just about getting compensation from the immediate perpetrators. If a government facilitated, knowingly tolerated and downplayed racist attacks, it ought to make amends for those attacks even if it wasn't directly involved — especially when there are still survivors.

Let’s also remember this race riot by whites lasted TWO DAYS. This wasn’t some one night of loot and it’s over at the light of day. This was a 2 day murder spree of blacks, along with a little looting of said blacks and a little burning and razing of 35 city blocks.

And this all done with the sheriff dept and the local nat’l guard participating and directing.

And after hundreds killed and buried hurriedly into secret mass graves, 35 city blocks razed to smoldering ash, amazingly no one was found to be the least bit responsible…in fact, no one was ever found to anywhere near the riot…never mind the burned flesh stuck to my shoes, smell of gas on my clothes, or the blood on my hands.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
CNN has this exposé on the countless massacres that occurred post-civil war. Tulsa may be one of the most infamous, but sadly, it is far from the only occurrence.

Reactions: Meghan54

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
I don't understand why people want to put artificial timescales in general for limiting reparations. The metric for determining if reparations are appropriate seems quite obvious to me. If the actions, regardless of how far back in time) continue to have a negative impact on the social and financial well being of the affected population, then reparations should be made until the group is no longer negatively affected relative to the general population.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
I don't understand why people want to put artificial timescales in general for limiting reparations. The metric for determining if reparations are appropriate seems quite obvious to me. If the actions, regardless of how far back in time) continue to have a negative impact on the social and financial well being of the affected population, then reparations should be made until the group is no longer negatively affected relative to the general population.
Thank you sir.

/thread

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
I agree with this. Every government in the world has done horrible things and the US is no different.

I think the right way if addressing it is fixing the history books, changing laws to remove any remaining bias, and set up programs to help populations that have been marginalized by past injustices. I do not agree with direct payments though.
I dont agree with direct payments to the general population as reparations, but this case is somewhat different in that you have specific individuals that can be identified as being harmed directly by a specific incident. They are very old now so direct payments would probably not be useful. They perhaps could be given something like totally free health insurance (nursing home care) or maybe free tuition for family members.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
President Biden made it clear today. What happened at Tulsa was NOT a riot. It was a MASSACRE.

Private airplanes bombed and killed black people. Calling that a riot is the continued whitewashing of history by the majority. They seem to be good at that.

Last edited:

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I dont agree with direct payments to the general population as reparations, but this case is somewhat different in that you have specific individuals that can be identified as being harmed directly by a specific incident. They are very old now so direct payments would probably not be useful. They perhaps could be given something like totally free health insurance (nursing home care) or maybe free tuition for family members.
Payments are useful if applied to descendants for recovering their lost wealth. I don't mean just the descendants of the 3 survivors but the remaining family of everyone killed and had property destroyed in Greenwood

Reactions: skyking

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
It wasn't solely prompted by racism. The original black guy they wanted to lynch was accused of assaulting a white woman. Repatriations are usually payed for by the people or entity that caused they harm. In this case, it was the people in the mob.

obviously, that never actually happened. If you believe there could ever be any truth to those allegations, and you use it here, then you are the problem.

Think about it for a fucking picosecond for once: How does it make any kind of fucking sense that the most terrified, terrorized, and extrajudicially murdered group of people in the country for generations--black americans--were ever actually assaulting or hitting on white women. Think about that--do you think that myth makes any kind of rational sense? Any?

You think white people were actually terrified of evil, murderous blacks, crossing the street? lol. that's fucking insane. There is no way in fucking hell that every black american at the time, and even today, doesn't see themselves as the potential victim of crime in any random street encounter. The fact that you think it is any other way means that the white identity propaganda has worked on you for generations.

There was never one single honest incident of a black man "looking at, or touching, or raping a white woman" in any of those incidents. Not one. It was just communities making a justification for torture and public murder. That's a fucking fact.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Direct payments to survivors or their descendants would still let them pass on that money (or spend it however they wish). Or you could do all of the above.

I absolutely want to see targeted and significant investment in historically disenfranchised communities though (including native American tribal lands)
The totally arbitrary number that comes to my mind is $100B/year.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
it is not so much FYGM as it is "you need to be down so these other poor suckers can think they are up". it is a calculated strategy that needs to go away.
The manipulators point at any problems and say " insert social program" fails and then kneel at the fountains of trickle down.

Nov 8, 2012
it is not so much FYGM as it is "you need to be down so these other poor suckers can think they are up". it is a calculated strategy that needs to go away.
The manipulators point at any problems and say " insert social program" fails and then kneel at the fountains of trickle down.

1622650814392.png

This pretty much sums up the general liberal narrative of "Yeah, lets just throw some money at things. That will fix it - but more importantly it makes ME feel better like I did something because I'm actually a virtue signaling piece of shit."

... Meanwhile, we spend far more per capita on things like education, yet it's shit.

They aren't after actual solutions. They are after virtue signaling points.

If you want to help people in life and dig them out of poverty, throw them tools. Instead you throw some dollar bills down a 20 mile hole and say "We cool? You good!"

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
View attachment 45229

This pretty much sums up the general liberal narrative of "Yeah, lets just throw some money at things. That will fix it - but more importantly it makes ME feel better like I did something because I'm actually a virtue signaling piece of shit."

... Meanwhile, we spend far more per capita on things like education, yet it's shit.

They aren't after actual solutions. They are after virtue signaling points.

If you want to help people in life and dig them out of poverty, throw them tools. Instead you throw some dollar bills down a 20 mile hole and say "We cool? You good!"
Why all the extra work? If you answer to the Tulsa survivors is "I don't care if the city of Tulsa and the Klan killed you, burned down your houses and businesses and stole your wealth, you get nothing cause we let you live in Merica"

At least that would be an honest yet expected answer from you.

Reactions: Meghan54

Matt390

Jun 7, 2019

Most of the affected population is dead.