Poll: Do the survivors and the families of the Tulsa Race Massacre deserve reparations?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Should the survivors and their families be paid reparations from the state of Oklahoma?

• Yes

Votes: 43 69.4%
  • No

Votes: 19 30.6%

• Total voters

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Based on this sounds like your vote should be yes. In the United States of America it wasn't going to happen. Do we just let this slide? Could you look these people in the eye and say, "sucks what happened but you get nothing?" That area known as black wall street was full of people prospering financially. All that generational wealth was stolen. Do we just ignore that as well?

I'm just asking the question

My answer is that if the state of Oklahoma wants to pay something to the three survivors of it who are still alive, I would support that. Extending it to future generations who were not alive at the time is not feasible because it opens the floodgates for reparations for every bad act since time immemorial. It has to be limited in some way. Limiting to those who were lives in being at the time it occurred seems like the least bad option among a number of imperfect options.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I think what you're missing is that the state was complicit in the massacre. They didn't really stop it and certainly the local police didn't stop it and probably participated in it.

See this excerpt
"During the early hours of the conflict local authorities did little to stem the growing crisis. Indeed, shortly after the outbreak of gunfire at the courthouse, Tulsa police officers deputized former members of the lynch mob and, according to an eyewitness, instructed them to "get a gun and get a n-word". Local units of the National Guard were mobilized, but they spent most of the night protecting a white neighborhood from a feared, but nonexistent, black counterattack"

Not exactly a both sides issue if you ask me. Seems very one sided and nothing at all like today. It's one of the great atrocities in US history. The more I read about it the more I feel that yes there should be reparations for surviving families and this issue can be separated from the question of general reparations for slavery.
I'm in no way introducing the topic of reparations for slavery. This topic is for this incident only.

We can plainly see what people think about the plight of the survivors and their families.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
My answer is that if the state of Oklahoma wants to pay something to the three survivors of it who are still alive, I would support that. Extending it to future generations who were not alive at the time is not feasible because it opens the floodgates for reparations for every bad act since time immemorial. It has to be limited in some way. Limiting to those who were lives in being at the time it occurred seems like the least bad option among a number of imperfect options.
I answered yes under similar conditions. Though, I think that remunerations should also extend to the children and grand children of those alive. It's a token measure at this point, but paying reparations to the entire family tree from all affected 100 years ago would become excessive due to the population growth in that particular cohort's family trees.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I answered yes under similar conditions. Though, I think that remunerations should also extend to the children and grand children of those alive. It's a token measure at this point, but paying reparations to the entire family tree from all affected 100 years ago would become excessive due to the population growth in that particular cohort's family trees.
We should get a list of family members from the survivors and all that were killed in Tulsa. I agree how far in these families we should go. Once that list is compiled come up with a fair settlement.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

I would just give the three elderly survivors a couple million bucks each. They'll be dead soon and will pass it on to their children and grandchildren.

Reactions: pcgeek11

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I would just give the three elderly survivors a couple million bucks each. They'll be dead soon and will pass it on to their children and grandchildren.
Think that makes up for lost accumulated wealth the families killed would have had today? What about the families who don't have survivors today? Why don't they deserve to have their accumulated wealth restored? This is part of the wealth gap we have today between black and white families.

Nov 8, 2012
Think that makes up for lost accumulated wealth the families killed would have had today? What about the families who don't have survivors today? Why don't they deserve to have their accumulated wealth restored? This is part of the wealth gap we have today between black and white families.

You're an idiot of epic proportions. This thread is written documentation of such.

Nov 17, 2019
If ANY group deserves reparations in any form, it's the American Indian Tribes. They are the only group that suffered atrocities directly at the hands of the U.S. Government, from the Whitehouse on down, including specific orders of extermination.

VW MAN

Jun 27, 2020
You're an idiot of epic proportions. This thread is written documentation of such.
That's fucking mighty bold and very very funny coming from the resident self owning moron of these parts. Just about everything you posts confirms this.

Fuck of traitor!

Reactions: Leeea

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Coming from the liar I'm not surprised you have nothing of substance to refute the assertion.

Other then the fact you think it's perfectly fine to have black families murdered, their wealth stolen and nobody held responsible. Not surprising since that has been you M.O. in this entire forum.

Just go back to rewriting history for white people along with Ron Johnson

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Yes, and we should execute all of the decendants of the white people that invaded and massacred the citizens of Tulsa.

It's only fair. Cosmically.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

No, of course it doesn't "make up for it." Nothing makes up for the Holocaust, the slaughtering of native Americans, slavery, or internment of the Japanese either. Like I said, it's an imperfect but workable solution to a problem which is difficult to solve.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
No, of course it doesn't "make up for it." Nothing makes up for the Holocaust, the slaughtering of native Americans, slavery, or internment of the Japanese either. Like I said, it's an imperfect but workable solution to a problem which is difficult to solve.
Guess I get tired of the right wing tripe which is their explanation of the following...
Examining the Black-white wealth gap (brookings.edu)

Here is their list
Al Sharpton
Lazy
uneducated
food stamps
unintelligent
Democratic Party
welfare
thug

Here we have a classic case of stolen wealth and status which would have been passed down a few generations and the answer they get "Too bad, I guess it sucks to be you"

Reactions: Linux23

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Here we have a classic case of stolen wealth and status which would have been passed down a few generations and the answer they get "Too bad, I guess it sucks to be you"
Not to be glib about it, but this is pretty much the history of the whole human race. There has always been an 'other' that has been oppressed by the 'we'.

Nov 8, 2012
Not to be glib about it, but this is pretty much the history of the whole human race. There has always been an 'other' that has been oppressed by the 'we'.
Shhhhh let him keep thinking everything is black and white in life. Let him live blissfully retarded thinking "racism" is simply a matter of black slavery.

Nothing else, nothing more. Thinking globally Is challenging for the mentally handicapped.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I could see the State paying the survivors. But all the families involved and relatives...

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I'm in no way introducing the topic of reparations for slavery. This topic is for this incident only.

We can plainly see what people think about the plight of the survivors and their families.

Can you make up your mind, whether this is about the singular "incident"?
Or do you intend to relate it to the greater racial divide?

Making the survivors millionaires seems fitting. That is more than almost anyone's family has in "accumulated wealth".

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Per the 60 Minutes feature on this last night-noone was ever even arrested for this (the burnout blacks that survived were put in "camps" for a couple of weeks), the police and national guard actively participated on behalf of the rioters, aerial bombardment was used (to me this spells a pretty high level of organization), all insurance companies refused to pay claims and the only thing the Red Cross did was pay for some gravediggers.

I'm not a big fan of reparations but this situation seems to be a total failure of society in general so yes I'm in favor of reparations here.

Reactions: WelshBloke

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Can you make up your mind, whether this is about the singular "incident"?
Or do you intend to relate it to the greater racial divide?

Making the survivors millionaires seems fitting. That is more than almost anyone's family has in "accumulated wealth".
Both those statements are about the Tulsa massacre. I NEVER mad a claim about a broader question.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
I could see the State paying the survivors. But all the families involved and relatives...
Reparations don't have to be cash.
They could do something like:
Free state college
No state income tax
Free medicaid healthcare
A recognized holiday
Etc

None of those things make it right but at least its an acknowledgement of wrong doing and an attempt to show contrition. Thats what so sad. Rather than attempt to show contrition, certain groups of people would like to just pretend it never happened.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
lol if every country paid for their mistakes from the last 200+ years from individuals, they would all be broke.

You're just tribalistic and cogntiively bias to wanting to pay black people because you're simply self-indulgent. Ultimately, it really just boils down to you being a tribal racist.

Gotta love the poll too - every single person who voted yes is doing so from the kindness of their virtue signaling heart. Not a single person that voted yes would line up to contribute the tax dollars for it. You're the queens of the Yaaas generation lol.
Why do you keep spouting your crapola? There are quite a few people that would contribute their tax dollars! Perhaps your just a racist and don`t give a damn about black people!

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
By liberals logic with BLM protests burning down people's business' and homes you simply just write it off to an insurance claim. No harm done!

That's how it works ... Right? ;)
wht would you know about liberal logic...you have trouble with your own convoluted logic

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

Seems like this (and things like this) are a lot more straight-forward than general reparations for a couple of centuries of slavery. It happened within the lifetimes of people still living, to people who were US citizens, and it seems clear who the victims were and also that the state was complicit. How is it any different from any other case of paying compensation for criminal damages due to the actions or negligence of the state or a corporation?