Poll: Do the survivors and the families of the Tulsa Race Massacre deserve reparations?

Should the survivors and their families be paid reparations from the state of Oklahoma?

• Yes

Votes: 44 69.8%
  • No

Votes: 19 30.2%

• Total voters

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
The 3 remaining survivors of the Tulsa massacre in 1921 an area known as Black Wall Street are testifying before Congress in an attempt to be made whole. They are demanding reparations for themselves and their families.

In case you are unfamiliar with what happened.
Tulsa race massacre - Wikipedia

Viola Fletcher 107, Hughes Van Ellis, 100 and 106 year-old Lessie Benningfield Randle all gave testimony of that night. Before answering the question of reparations remember nobody responsible for the attack is alive today. Also it was 100 years ago. The 3 survivors likely won't live long so the question remains on reparations for their families.
Tulsa Race Massacre Survivors Address Congress (buzzfeednews.com)

Just as a side note there is a committee that is studying the question. Oklahoma's Gov. Kevin Stitt - R was on that committee but he was kicked off after signing a law that forbids teaching issues of racism in schools.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2012
lol if every country paid for their mistakes from the last 200+ years from individuals, they would all be broke.

You're just tribalistic and cogntiively bias to wanting to pay black people because you're simply self-indulgent. Ultimately, it really just boils down to you being a tribal racist.

Gotta love the poll too - every single person who voted yes is doing so from the kindness of their virtue signaling heart. Not a single person that voted yes would line up to contribute the tax dollars for it. You're the queens of the Yaaas generation lol.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
lol if every country paid for their mistakes from the last 200+ years from individuals, they would all be broke.

You're just tribalistic and cogntiively bias to wanting to pay black people because you're simply self-indulgent. Ultimately, it really just boils down to you being a tribal racist.

Gotta love the poll too - every single person who voted yes is doing so from the kindness of their virtue signaling heart. Not a single person that voted yes would line up to contribute the tax dollars for it. You're the queens of the Yaaas generation lol.
I bet you never read the story of what happened in Tulsa. I bet you did not read or listen to the testimony. You answer is you don't give a shit what happened to them and people should never be held accountable for their actions.

You usual fuck you black people just be glad we let you stay here now you are here now is clear. You failed to respond to one single piece of evidence why none of these people deserve reparations. You hatred of minorities is pretty self evident. I also see why you are on board with white Republicans rewriting the history of Jan 6. If you lie all the time and lie about the past you're never held accountable for it.

VW MAN

Jun 27, 2020
Liar! Giant piece of shit fucking goddamned liar! You don't know shit so shut your stupid fucking trump cum hole until you educate yourself! I voted yes and would absolutely pay taxes for reparations!

Fuck off traitor. Fuck off moron. Fuck off racist dickbag!

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

I voted "no" as well, but mainly because of what you wrote in that first paragraph. The rest of what you wrote is drool. It isn't racist to desire reparations for descendants of victims of massacres, and this was one of the worst massacres in American history.

I tend to agree that these people "deserve" reparations but I also agree that we cannot give every descendant of everyone killed in every atrocity money. Because there is no theoretical limit to it. Ideally, something should have been paid to the victim's families at the time, but of course that was never going to happen in 1920's Oklahoma, and it is probably too late for it now.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
I think you give some reparations but it doesn't have to be much. In a court case you sue to punish the person who did something bad. The people involved are all basically dead. I think some small personal financial gift to the surviving families , donations towards charitable organizations, have a state honor given to the families harmed (maybe even free education at state schools) and the passing of laws to prevent that sort of thing from happening would be ok. However I don't think a check of x dollars really does anything or is sustainable and repeatable for all the other atrocities the US has been involved in.

You should know that you can separate this from other reparations requests. Here specific families are named and involved. With general reparations relating to slavery it's more complicated because it's basically race based. You'd basically be having people who identify of a certain race claiming eligibility and then it becomes a gray area on so many levels. Do black people of Caribbean descent qualify? What about people of east Ethiopian descent? It just becomes really messy. This case however is very straightforward. Known families with specific names. Really the best way for the US to address reparations for people of color is to directly invest in people of color. Give them and their neighborhoods the best schools, the best houses, the best police, etc try to undo decades of policies that tried to do the opposite: policies that tried to give black people the worst of everything.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Each should be given the right to order the Air Force to bomb Tulsa to the ground.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I voted "no" as well, but mainly because of what you wrote in that first paragraph. The rest of what you wrote is drool. It isn't racist to desire reparations for descendants of victims of massacres, and this was one of the worst massacres in American history.

I tend to agree that these people "deserve" reparations but I also agree that we cannot give every descendant of everyone killed in every atrocity money. Because there is no theoretical limit to it. Ideally, something should have been paid to the victim's families at the time, but of course that was never going to happen in 1920's Oklahoma, and it is probably too late for it now.
I agree with this. Every government in the world has done horrible things and the US is no different.

I think the right way if addressing it is fixing the history books, changing laws to remove any remaining bias, and set up programs to help populations that have been marginalized by past injustices. I do not agree with direct payments though.

Reactions: hal2kilo

jameny5

Aug 7, 2018
And that would do what for righting a wrong?

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Do you have an alternative solution?

No, because there is no way to right past wrongs, especially not ones which occurred that long ago.

By this logic, we should have to pay reparations to all blacks in this country over slavery. Then to the descendants of all the Japanese we interned during WWII. And all the native Americans of course.

And that's just in this country. Think about all that shit that has happened in others. Should the Jews get reparations from every European country in which Jews were massacred over the past 2000 years? In other words, all of them. Probably not...

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
No, because there is no way to right past wrongs, especially not ones which occurred that long ago.

By this logic, we should have to pay reparations to all blacks in this country over slavery. Then to the descendants of all the Japanese we interned during WWII. And all the native Americans of course.

And that's just in this country. Think about all that shit that has happened in others. Should the Jews get reparations from every European country in which Jews were massacred over the past 2000 years? In other words, all of them. Probably not...
Don't forget Spain and Mexico for our wars of aggression against them to steal land.

Reactions: jameny5

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
It sounds an awful lot like today's protests and counter protests. Just with a little extra spark and a lot less police crackdown.

To recap, so that we are all clear. First someone was accused of assaulting a 17 year old girl. Then a mob formed to harm the suspect. Another group formed to ensure a trial and no lynching. !@#$ went south, someone fired a shot and the two groups attacked one another. Following that shootout - a bunch of angry white men burned down the black section of town and massacred a bunch of people.

That would happen today if it wasn't for the strength of arms among our police force. With the training, situational and historical awareness of this !@#$. Today our government does it best to temper the failures of humanity. Rather than act as part of the mob. There are still moments where judgement or protection lapses.

I do not think I can quantify the harm done to the survivors or their families a century later. It does sound like the State, upon learning of this, stepped in with martial law and restored order. I do not know what justice followed. I leave it to the people of OK to decide their course of action. With knowledge that, if poverty was a consequence of such destruction, a proper safety net would serve as a valuable restitution for those still suffering today. My aim is towards that end.

Nov 8, 2012
It sounds an awful lot like today's protests and counter protests. Just with a little extra spark and a lot less police crackdown.

To recap, so that we are all clear. First someone was accused of assaulting a 17 year old girl. Then a mob formed to harm the suspect. Another group formed to ensure a trial and no lynching. !@#$ went south, someone fired a shot and the two groups attacked one another. Following that shootout - a bunch of angry white men burned down the black section of town and massacred a bunch of people.

That would happen today if it wasn't for the strength of arms among our police force. With the training, situational and historical awareness of this !@#$. Today our government does it best to temper the failures of humanity. Rather than act as part of the mob. There are still moments where judgement or protection lapses.

I do not think I can quantify the harm done to the survivors or their families a century later. It does sound like the State, upon learning of this, stepped in with martial law and restored order. I do not know what justice followed. I leave it to the people of OK to decide their course of action. With knowledge that, if poverty was a consequence of such destruction, a proper safety net would serve as a valuable restitution for those still suffering today. My aim is towards that end.
By liberals logic with BLM protests burning down people's business' and homes you simply just write it off to an insurance claim. No harm done!

That's how it works ... Right? ;)

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
By liberals logic with BLM protests burning down people's business' and homes you simply just write it off to an insurance claim. No harm done!

That's how it works ... Right? ;)
Let me know when hundreds of whites are murdered in a massacre by BLM.

How's the Boston tea party feeling to you about now in regards to property damage?

It's probably only good when white people do it. That's the conservative mindset. The Jan 6 mob were tourists.

How does the modem GQP party handle being such scummy people thru and thru?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Regardless of how one might stand on this issue, this thread does deliver the laughs seeing right-wing nutjobs asking "who's gonna pay for it" knowing full well they're always the first ones to line up for any handout.
In fact, that's the only reason why right-wingers ever ask "who's gonna pay for it" -- to keep others from getting in on their free stuff.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I'm not voting the poll, but what they definitely do deserve is to have their fate widely publicized and taught to all American children now and going forward, similar to The Holocaust, the Armenian genocide in the early 20th century and several other genocides in recent world history...

Edit: Including the Holodomor, Russia's intentional genocide by starvation of millions of Ukrainians in 1932-33.

Last edited:

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

Based on this sounds like your vote should be yes. In the United States of America it wasn't going to happen. Do we just let this slide? Could you look these people in the eye and say, "sucks what happened but you get nothing?" That area known as black wall street was full of people prospering financially. All that generational wealth was stolen. Do we just ignore that as well?

I'm just asking the question

Reactions: Linux23

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Let me know when hundreds of whites are murdered in a massacre by BLM.

How's the Boston tea party feeling to you about now in regards to property damage?

It's probably only good when white people do it. That's the conservative mindset. The Jan 6 mob were tourists.

How does the modem GQP party handle being such scummy people thru and thru?
That's why he's onboard with the whitewashing of Jan 6. White people should never be held accountable

Reactions: Linux23 and Pohemi

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009

I think what you're missing is that the state was complicit in the massacre. They didn't really stop it and certainly the local police didn't stop it and probably participated in it.

See this excerpt
"During the early hours of the conflict local authorities did little to stem the growing crisis. Indeed, shortly after the outbreak of gunfire at the courthouse, Tulsa police officers deputized former members of the lynch mob and, according to an eyewitness, instructed them to "get a gun and get a n-word". Local units of the National Guard were mobilized, but they spent most of the night protecting a white neighborhood from a feared, but nonexistent, black counterattack"

Not exactly a both sides issue if you ask me. Seems very one sided and nothing at all like today. It's one of the great atrocities in US history. The more I read about it the more I feel that yes there should be reparations for surviving families and this issue can be separated from the question of general reparations for slavery.

Last edited: