[Poll] Do movie theatres charge too much?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000
Don't blame the theaters, blame the studios. Ticket prices usually cover the film, reels, and screens. Those stadium screens are expensive a hell and you can blame the dumbfsck next to you that throws a gummy bear on the screen for raising your costs. The food sales are roughly equivalent to the total wages and profit of a theater.

illusion88

Lifer
Oct 2, 2001
IT costs more then a $20 bill to take a girl to a movie. Although, In Utah I was able to see a night show and only paid like $6.25 or something. I rather liked that.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Jhill
They charge it because people pay it. If people stopped going prices would drop and the producer and actors would have to settle for 10 million for each movie instead of 20 million.

I agree.

v3rrv3

Golden Member
May 26, 2002
For the most part, think of a movie theater as a "candy store" like 90% plus of their revenue is from the food etc. My friend manages a theater and for the first few weeks typically they have to give almost 100% of ticket sales to the studios. Then as attendance drops they can keep a percentage and that kind of thing.

- Kevin

ScottyB

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2002
No, $6.60 for a night movie and $5.50 for the matinee. I get a much better experience than spending $4.00 on a rental.

KarenMarie

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2003
Originally posted by: pulse8
Originally posted by: KarenMarie
Well, when you consider that a movie costs over $20mil to make cause the producer needs to get rich, and the director needs to get rich, and all the ppl who work on the picture are union and the lead actors need to make multi-millions on it, then no it is not expensive to fleece the average lower/middle class person to pay almost 2x the mininium wage to see the picture, $6.00 on $0.30 worth of popcorn and $2.50 for $0.11 worth of cola!

<cough, cough>

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Ya think?

What does the average producer make? The director? Major Stars get between $5-14million per picture? The majority of ppl who work on the film make the least amount of money. The big names get huge dollars and it hits the average movie goer.

As far as the concession stands... well, they fleece the public cause that is where they make most of their money.
Same thing in restaurants. A glass of cola costs approx $0.08 a glass, you pay $1.25

I remember the days when it was not forbidden to bring your own popcorn and soda into a theater. And the price of a ticket was $3.50 :)

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Anyone who thinks they charge too much, open a theater and charge less. Good luck to you!

There's a reason why dollar theaters have crappy sound, and run 3mo old movies.

murphy55d

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
4.50 for a weekday matinee here. that's not too bad, but at night it's like 8 or 9 bucks, which i won't pay.

KokomoGST

Diamond Member
Nov 13, 2001
My movie tix in the area can range from $5-6 to $17-18! A lot of the typical movie theaters are $10-12... so obviously I don't go anywhere near the theaters that charge $9+.

Strangely enough... it's the huge movie theaters in my area with the stadium seats that DON'T charge that much. I guess it makes sense since they have a lot more volume of traffic and thus can afford less revenue per customer because they KNOW they're going to get lots of customers. I do understand some closer theaters charging more but $17 is ridiculous! Even if the rent is insanely high that doesn't make sense.

You buy the friggin DVD for around $12 many times! Yeah... I always sneak in food somehow. Jacket, backpack, girl, etc...

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Seriously, $17 bucks that is damn high. Do they have private rooms or serve beer or something?

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by: WinkOsmosis
No. If kids are spending money on movies those little bastards can't spend it on drugs.

lol, good one. I guess that explains SWAT.

gistech1978

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2002
Originally posted by: Jhill
They charge it because people pay it. If people stopped going prices would drop and the producer and actors would have to settle for 10 million for each movie instead of 20 million.

no, youre wrong.
if people stopped going to movies it wouldnt be prices stopping them
it would be because of file sharing, remember?

bo0

Dec 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Nitemare
Originally posted by: minendo
Originally posted by: bo0
yes if you're not a student. Just take a stupid class like weightlifting at a JC and theres your student ID:). I know I know, i'm a cheepass...but i do go to the movies alot.
Student discounts don't exist around here.

Saves you a whopping dollar here

I save 2 dollers here, from $8.50 to $6.50. Hey, when your a starving student with bills...$2 = 4tacos at jack in a box for me:)

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Like Ive said in other threads. Im a cheap bastard. If I got to a movie its the first showing of the day, ie: 11:00am. Never have to worry about bad seats or it being sold out. Costs $4.50 a ticket.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by: slag
Well, when you consider that a movie costs over $20mil to make cause the producer needs to get rich, and the director needs to get rich, and all the ppl who work on the picture are union and the lead actors need to make multi-millions on it, then no it is not expensive to fleece the average lower/middle class person to pay almost 2x the mininium wage to see the picture, $6.00 on $0.30 worth of popcorn and $2.50 for $0.11 worth of cola!

<cough, cough>

Actually, I think KM has a very good idea of what they are talking about. Its all about the fleecing of America. The part that really bothers me is the 10 bucks you spend for less than 50 cents worth of food.

Movie theaters arent making huge profits. They have to sell concessions at that price to stay open, atleast in most markets.

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000

<cough, cough>

Ya think?

What does the average producer make? The director? Major Stars get between $5-14million per picture? The majority of ppl who work on the film make the least amount of money. The big names get huge dollars and it hits the average movie goer.

As far as the concession stands... well, they fleece the public cause that is where they make most of their money.
Same thing in restaurants. A glass of cola costs approx $0.08 a glass, you pay $1.25

I remember the days when it was not forbidden to bring your own popcorn and soda into a theater. And the price of a ticket was $3.50 :)

Just because people make that kind of money, doesn't mean they are doing it to "fleece the average lower/middle class person." Movies have gotten a lot more sophisticated and it costs a lot more to make them. The increase in price is due to the cost of making movies getting more expensive, the people working on them finding that they are worth more than they were in the past and the public's repeated willingness to pay for it.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
$13.50 per person up here in Canada for any of the new theatres. For you and your date, you're looking at $27 minimum just to get in. Drinks, popcorn, sometimes a charity pin that you can't escape because the damn people trap you in front of your girl. A poor guy like me is now looking at the low side of $40 for a night at the movies. That's a LOT!

All figures Canadian, which really isn't THAT much less than the US dollar right now. :p

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
I say no. They do charge a lot, but it's on par with cable TV. It's not unusual to have a cable bill of $60/month. That same $60 would buy six movies a month at regular prices, and I don't even think there is anywhere near six worthwhile movies out each month.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: digitalsm
Originally posted by: slag

<cough, cough>

Actually, I think KM has a very good idea of what they are talking about. Its all about the fleecing of America. The part that really bothers me is the 10 bucks you spend for less than 50 cents worth of food.

Movie theaters arent making huge profits. They have to sell concessions at that price to stay open, atleast in most markets.

They should be making money off the movies not the food and drinks. After all you go there to see a movie not to eat.

Average ticket cost is say 7 bucks(counting matinee's, discounts eg) the average movie has an average viewing audience of 100 per showing it's first two weeks. It is shown 5 times a day. This is a little under 50 grand for the first 2 weeks alone per film. This does not take into account theaters showing the movies on multiple screens. Multiply this by 1000 theaters and you have a little under 50mill in ticket sales alone in the US.. Add ticket sales overseas, DVD and other royalties as well as the remaining movie theater run and each film makes a killing. There are some good actors and actresses out there, but should any of them be earning 30 million a movie when some of them do a couple a year...No.

Maybe we need to be salary caps on the film industry and regulate it...either that or *gulp* disband the Screenactors guild(union)...

flashbacck

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2001
what gets me now these days, is that they play COMMERCIALS! FULL LENGTH COMMERCIALS. What the HELL is up with that?

rgwalt

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2000
I pay $5.75 here as I am a student, which I think is pretty reasonable for 2 hours of entertainment. When I'm done with school, it will cost me $7 to as much as $10 to see a movie, which I think is way too much. I wouldn't go if I had to pay any more than $8 unless it was a movie I *really* wanted to see (ie Star Wars, LOTR, Harry Potter, etc). Renting a movie or waiting for Pay Per View or HBO is much cheaper. Even now I let a lot of moives go past and rent them a couple of months later on DVD.

R