[Poll] Do movie theatres charge too much?

emb09

Oct 2, 2003
yes, they charge quite a bit. it is $9.50 to see a night feature. And since i used to work at a theatre and get free admission anytime.

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
The question shouldn't be do the theaters charge too much, but rather do the studios charge too much.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
I refuse to go to movies. For the woman and me to go to a movie, tickets run $16. Buying the dvd when released is cheaper.

Coolone

Aug 18, 2001
when the movie part of a date costs 20$, you know somethings wrong there :disgust:

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Last one I saw was a matinee and it cost 6 a ticket for a movie in which we could hear the movie beside us and had red dots in it. I could care less if I ever go to the theater again

brunswickite

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2002
its 8.50 at the local Loews, which is new/stadium seating, very nice

and 6.75 at the local regal, which is also new/stadium seating, very nice

i have gone to both and dont really b1tch about the cost.
Although I do think that food is overpriced at the movie theater, 3 bucks for a 16 oz soda! thats insane

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: brunswickite
i have gone to both and dont really b1tch about the cost.
Although I do think that food is overpriced at the movie theater, 3 bucks for a 16 oz soda! thats insane
That's how they make money.

KarenMarie

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2003
Well, when you consider that a movie costs over $20mil to make cause the producer needs to get rich, and the director needs to get rich, and all the ppl who work on the picture are union and the lead actors need to make multi-millions on it, then no it is not expensive to fleece the average lower/middle class person to pay almost 2x the mininium wage to see the picture, $6.00 on $0.30 worth of popcorn and $2.50 for $0.11 worth of cola!

<cough, cough>

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
Originally posted by: KarenMarie
Well, when you consider that a movie costs over $20mil to make cause the producer needs to get rich, and the director needs to get rich, and all the ppl who work on the picture are union and the lead actors need to make multi-millions on it, then no it is not expensive to fleece the average lower/middle class person to pay almost 2x the mininium wage to see the picture, $6.00 on $0.30 worth of popcorn and $2.50 for $0.11 worth of cola!

<cough, cough>

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Jhill

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
They charge it because people pay it. If people stopped going prices would drop and the producer and actors would have to settle for 10 million for each movie instead of 20 million.

dartworth

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: pulse8

<cough, cough>

;)

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001

<cough, cough>

This is why you always bring a woman with a large purse. Bring extra and recoup the admission price as well. Viva la DVD

bo0

Dec 3, 2003
yes if you're not a student. Just take a stupid class like weightlifting at a JC and theres your student ID:). I know I know, i'm a cheepass...but i do go to the movies alot.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: bo0
yes if you're not a student. Just take a stupid class like weightlifting at a JC and theres your student ID:). I know I know, i'm a cheepass...but i do go to the movies alot.
Student discounts don't exist around here.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: minendo
Originally posted by: bo0
Student discounts don't exist around here.

Saves you a whopping dollar here

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
I definitely think so... 8 bucks for a movie that I will be able to rent for only 4 bucks (the price gets even more rediculous when you include the price of my girlfriend's ticket). Now granted seeing a movie at home is not the same as the theatre (and a reason why I still go), but as home theatre systems get nicer and nicer, it is going to be harder to charge that kind of money.

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
I think they should charge the same price for admission but lower the concession price to something reasonable, unfortunately that's really where the profits are for them. I worked in a 2nd run theatre while in school, apparently the ticket price BARELY covers the licensing, insurance, etc. for the film to be shown. Not surprisingly it's really the studios who are the greedy bastards here.

One thing I will say speaking from a retail manager point of view. Most theatres seem to have an overabundance of incompetent and functionally useless employees. If they hired and trained quality they could probably cut staff and come out ahead. It would take hard workers though.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: pulse8

<cough, cough>

Actually, I think KM has a very good idea of what they are talking about. Its all about the fleecing of America. The part that really bothers me is the 10 bucks you spend for less than 50 cents worth of food.

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
Yes, $9.50 for a night feature on weekends. $9.00 for weekday nights. $6.50 for matinee....and get this, no matinees on Saturday and Sunday, what's up with THAT? Oh and $3.00 for a medium soda isn't too much if you smuggle in your own whiskey or rum and make yourself a alcoholic sized whiskey/coke.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
I have no problems paying for the ticket, but 5.00 dollars for pop-corn and 3.50 dollars for a drink, now that's just ridiculous.

It's that cheap watered down soda , too. That's a mix of soda syrup and gas tank pumped carb water. They must make a killing off the snacks alone.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Jhill
They charge it because people pay it. If people stopped going prices would drop and the producer and actors would have to settle for 10 million for each movie instead of 20 million.

Not to mention them moving entire productions overseas or Canada to cut down on costs so the director and stars can get even more money.