Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Mercenary

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
The series is revolutionary for its 6 degrees of freedom with movement, and for the robot AI. The robots all had distinctive personalities and behavior which hold up even today.

1 brings back a lot of nostalgia with its classic level design and simplified weapon load-out.

2 is my favorite and I really liked the themes that each group of levels followed (e.g. lava, water, ice, etc.). Even the robots matched said themes. It also doubled the weapons and added power-ups such as the afterburner and headlight.

Descent_2.jpg

Vertigo was a really great expansion with excellent level design.

3 added some really interesting weapons (e.g. Mass driver, Cyclone Missile) and bigger levels. Also the textures hold up extremely well for a 1999 game. I felt some levels were a bit too big and the outdoor areas sometimes slightly detracted from the Descent mood.

Descent_3.jpg

Mercenary was quite inconsistent and had some really tedious and/or boring levels. This is the only Descent installment I didn’t like.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I played them all, well, the "main trilogy" that is. Although that wasn't exactly when they got released though, but just a few years later (all I remember is that I still had my PS2 at the time and my PC was pretty much my first one... so must have been around 2003 or 2004 I'd say; and could run those games just barely at smooth frame rates). I bought the first, second and third at a local store, they were all second hand and pretty cheap, but also in good condition (except two of the three boxes with wrecked corners).

It took me a while to actually appreciate the playstyle when I played the first one for the first time. It was technically quite impressive for sure, but the gameplay, especially the orientation and the levels layout was initially quite confusing and I often lost my orientation senses to oblivion. But I eventually got used to it, took me one or two days, and liked it enough in the end. However my 'first impressions' were mixed; but by the end indeed I was enjoying it. The second was better, although I don't have many memories of that one... not sure why, and I can't remember if I actually finished it (I did finish the first and third). And the third - for me - was the best, it just improved on everything from the predecessors, and the level design was pretty good and easier to navigate from the two others from what I recall.

I haven't played Vertigo or Mercenary at all.

I also know about the kick-started Descent: Underground, and I only wish the dev team the best for that one. I will probably buy it eventually whenever they release it. I'm not what I'd consider a "fan" of the series overall, but it was enjoyable at the time. And that Underground modern take on that sort of playstyle could be interesting to go into again. So I'll definitely keep an eye on it from time to time.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Wow, I remember I bought a Matrox Millenium so I could play this as the GPU I had prior would give me like 5fps.

Reactions: bigi
Feb 25, 2011
Pole missing Descent: Freespace and Freespace 2.

Most of my playtime on the original Descent was the display computers at Best Buy. Ah, memories.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Most of my playtime on the original Descent was the display computers at Best Buy. Ah, memories.
I remember Descent being demo'ed on early VR HMDs (like VGA res), at CompUSA, back in the day. Seemed interesting. But those early HMDs died out.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I had the asus video card with 3d glasses. I used to play descent on keyboard. Yes, not using a mouse.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003

Yes Freespace too was awesome. I used to play the hell out of Decent on Kali. Probably more with Motoracer and JK though. Trying to shave a half second off my time on Motoracer, fucking annoying. Being a HPB playing against someone who was LPB even more annoying.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Had a lot of fun playing it on LAN against my Nephew.

I remember dragging my Pentium 60 full tower and 17" crt monitor to my friend's place to set up lan party. with 10Base2 network :shudder:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I remember playing Descent over the internet via IPX. Pain in the butt but it was fun when it worked I guess.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
I truly miss the Descent games. I still have all 3 on disk and on GOG.

I remember playing the shareware of Descent - never finished it. Finished Descent ][, one of the first games I ever completed. Ran like a scalded ape on a Pentium 100 with 32mb ram and a Voodoo Banshee.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Descent II was the first PC game I played and it got me hooked on PC games.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Played through both Decent and Decent II when they came out. The 3Dfx upgrade to II and the soundtrack make it better in my opinion.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I finished replaying Descent Vertigo and really enjoyed it. They just don't make levels like these anymore:

Descent.jpg

zink77

Jan 16, 2012
Descent 2 was the best version. That was before the rise of cinematic gaming. Descent 3 was when it all went downhill, aka too much life changes for devs as interplay was going bankrupt.

Now that Overload is out it was a mixed bag, basically the devs didn't have the money or the manpower to really recreate descent. The lack of boss structure like descent 2 was a bit weird and the story at the end went just totally downhill. I didn't realize the dev team had a singularity fetish... the singularity is a load of hogwash.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I was genuinely too stupid for Descent. No joke.
The best i could manage was to fly backwards when i was being shot at. So much for 6 directions.

So i never did actually play descent, and as far as i remember, most of my friends also thought it was kinda meh .. too hard, and the extra difficulty due to the 3D movement was seen as gimmicky. We all played Doom2 instead.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Descent:Freespace or Freespace 2 although I know I'm being cheeky and everyone knows that Descent was tacked on to try and up sales of a new franchise. They were far superior games than anything in the core Descent series however.

I love space combat Sims and I love first person shooters. I hated the core Descent games, since all they ever seemed good for was rage inducing frustration attempting to navigate the levels and dinghy in a cat 5 hurricane levels of nausia.

The series does hold the notable role of being the first popular game franchise that I played where I flat out could not understand the appeal. It was like an innoculation against all of the Assassin's Creed's, Call of Duties and Battlefields we have to endure today.