POLL: Continue crunchin or ?

NokiaDude

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2002
I've been running RC5-72 for quite a while now and I was pondering last night. RC5-72 looks like it'll take ~1700 years to complete. I have two computers crunchin for RC5-72, a Spitfire Athlon 900mhz and a XP 1700+. Right now, I'm placing #120 on the team and slooooly climbing. Since I download anime I have to keep my computer on anyways. But I'm wondering if I should quit crunchin. Because some times when I use my computer it'll have 10-15 apps open and that's a huge strain on resources. So the computer bogs down. But as soon as I quit crunchin everything comes back to speed. So I'm letting you decide if I should keep crunching

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
I'm not familiar with RC5-72, but can't you just shut it down when your working on your computer?

SinfulWeeper

Diamond Member
Sep 2, 2000
The choice is all yours.
If it slows down apps, I would change projects. F@H, CB, SoB, they seem to have proper 'idle' CPU time. But I have never tried RC5-72... so I can not be quick to judge that it does not properly compute :confused:.
But as I said the choice is yours.

SlangNRox

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I believe that the dnet rc5-72 is the most well behaved client and is set at the absolute minimun so it should really only use your idel cpu cycles. sob is set to a slightly higher priority unless you do something with the service installer and set the priority lower with it. chess brain seems to use a lot of cpu when it is active.

These are just my observations from what I've read in other threads and from my personal observations by running a couple dc projects at the same time and also having coolmon running so I can track what is using most of my cpu cycles.

awarberg001

Jun 4, 2003
If it makes a difference shut it down when you are working at your PC.
Personally I haven't experienced any noticable slowdown due to dnetc on my systems.

At the moment dnetc.exe uses 3.9 MB ram on my system - this could probably make a difference on a low-memory machine.

By the way, as far as I know the rc5-64 project was also projected to finish "in a zillion years" when it was started.
Faster computers and dnetc core improvements will bring the number of year to finish down to a reasonable level I'm sure.

-Andreas

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
If you can just shut down the client (edited: just when you're doing a lot of multitasking, of course :)) or configure it to a lower priority, by all means keep crunching if you truly are happy with the goals of the RC5-72 project. If you feel like switching, I'm sure many projects would be glad to use your cycles, but please don't feel like anyone's trying to "recruit" you (at least I'm not).

deerslayer

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
I would keep crunching, but shut it down when necessary :) But of course, this is your decision :p