Poll: Cannabis and Euthanasia legalized both at the same time...

3615buck

Banned
Sep 22, 2000
Our government (Belgium) just legalized cannabis (you can smoke it but you still cannot sell it !) and is finishing the legalization of euthanasia...
What do you think of it ?
Do you think the US should do the same ?
Come on Bush, it's time to show you have guts...

gUEv

Oct 11, 2000
rofl...like bush or almost anyone else in congress is intelligent enough to legalize herb

Yzzim

Lifer
Feb 13, 2000
I've never heard of any of those drugs (I come from a small farm town in Minnesota) and don't understand why you can smoke it but can't sell it??????

Unless only the government can sell it, then it almost makes sense...

eh, I'm tired...

cxim

Golden Member
Dec 18, 1999
Pretty good plan.

Move to Belgium.

Get buzzed.

Government puts you to sleep.

JoLLyRoGer

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2000
Actually they know exactly what they?re doing by keeping these drugs illegal. How much money do you suppose that our government spends on the war on drugs? Where do you think they get their funding?

Here comes a statement that I may get flamed for so keep in mind that I don't work on Capital Hill and this is just the world according to JR..:

How many people would be out of a job if they just up and legalized all of these drugs?? I can't say that I completely agree with this reasoning but the fact remains that the government is making a helluva lot of money by keeping illegal drugs...well illegal. If they didn't spend all of this money fighting the war on drugs than they couldn't justify taking it out of OUR paycheck. On another note though, there are a lot of people who are employed because of the war on drugs who do contribute to our economy. Take the US Customs Service for example. Right now there are several counter-narcotics task forces operating outside of US soil. What need would there be to have these operations as well as the people who support them? What jobs would there be if you suddenly took the mission away. So you see, it's a lot more complicated than just deciding one day to up and legalize drugs. There is a lot more politics involved behind the scenes.

As always...IMHO
JR..

3615buck

Banned
Sep 22, 2000
Hey, we did not legalize hard drugs, only soft ones. Cocaine, heroin, crack, extasy remain illegal.
The US war on drugs could go on if these soft drugs were legalized because I think that this war is mainly against hard drugs.

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Our government should stop enforcing the drug laws first. Then gradually implement a plan of treatment and care, rather than throwing druggies in the slammer.

I'd send druggies to "boot camp", but not the right wing's version of boot camp. My boot camp would probably be much worse from a druggies' perspective because they'd be doing 6 months to 2 years of very hard time of constant workouts, fitness lectures, nutrition lectures, psychological counseling, and schooling (i.e., math, English, science, etc.) No graduation until you can complete an Olympic distance triathlon (1 mile swim, 25 mile bike, 10K run) in under 4 hours and pass at least a high school equivalency exam.

After druggies, I'd take on the geeks with the same regimen. XeroxMan will be my first victim, er, patient, er, inmate, er REJECT! :) :)

(For what it's worth, I biked 31 miles yesterday, then ran 10 K. It's called a "brick". And I'm 57. If I can do it, the druggies and geeks can do it. :) )

Just a Modest Proposal. :

luv2chill

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2000
yeah it's about as viable as the original "Modest Proposal".

What about our nation's quadraplegic drug users? Will they be doing your Olympic fitness regimen?

Decriminalize it already!

l2c

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
luv2chill:

The "quads" need their drugs. :0 They'd be exempt of course, as would most handicapped people. Except the morally handicapped. :)

On a serious note, I don't agree with throwing druggies in jail, but the move to decriminalize will have to be a slow, painful one because the forces of evil working for the religious right wing in America will oppose it.

gUEv

Oct 11, 2000
the DEA and other soldiers in the oh-so-effective war on drugs would/should be rolled into other law enforcement departments should the legalization of drugs take place. This would drastically reduce street crime, seeing as how gangs would lose a major portion of their funding by not being able to sell drugs. With increased law enforcement concentrating on street crime, and more taxpayer money going to other programs, we could see the beginning of the light at the end of the tunnel for the lower class.
assuming marijuana is only legalized (which is a good step), we would see the end of homes and lives shattered by the injustice that is mandatory minimums, wasted taxpayer dollars and an overcrowded prison system where a non violent, first time (marijuana) posession offender can serve as much prison time as a kidnapper. The war on drugs is a war on greens; not marijuana, but your money. Its being flushed down the toilet. Never in our history has the American Military been used on our own citizens until humbolt county. For what purpose? To seize marijuana? You need troops and blackhawk hellicopters to do that?!? It just serves as an example of how extremely absurd this entire situation has become. Your hard earned money is being flushed down the toilet due to a prohibition clouded in greed, rascism and ignorance.

poop

Oct 21, 1999
Marijuana should just be legal. It doesn't make sense that an equally harsh drug, alcohol, is legal and pot is not. Granted, pot screws up your lungs pretty badly, but so do cloves.

As far as euthanasia goes, right on. It is my life, and if I want it do end, by God I am killing myself. It sickens me that the government feels it has the right to tell me that I HAVE to live. That is such utter BS. If I am 70 yrs old and have terminal cancer, you bet I am going out peacefully. None of this "fight it until the end" crap. Life is not worth living if you cannot enjoy it. Granted, it would suck for my family, but I think they would understand.