Poll: Can you steal the truth?

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I was talking to someone at work and they said that the most valuable thing that you can steal is the truth.

I said that you couldn't steal the truth.

What do you think? Please explain your answer.

eigen

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2003
Yes.

You are thinking the truth to be this objective thing.I think maybe they were thinking in the sense that one could project the image of being the truth.One could manafacture the image and in appearing true, would become so.

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
I would say no, because stealing to me means taking something. The truth isn't an object limited to a location, so you can't remove it from somewhere that it is and place it somewhere else.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: HotChic
I would say no, because stealing to me means taking something. The truth isn't an object limited to a location, so you can't remove it from somewhere that it is and place it somewhere else.

That's what I said, but she's not easy to disagree with. It seems to make her angry. ;)

eigen

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2003
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
Originally posted by: HotChic

That's what I said, but she's not easy to disagree with. It seems to make her angry. ;)

Oh is this with a women...Yeah you shouldnt ever disagree.Seriously it doesnt matter who it is ...just agree.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: eigen
Oh is this with a women...Yeah you shouldnt ever disagree.Seriously it doesnt matter who it is ...just agree.
No, I let her get away with enough blatantly wrong crap as it is. :p

eigen

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2003
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
Originally posted by: eigen
No, I let her get away with enough blatantly wrong crap as it is. :p

unwise.

LordMaul

Lifer
Nov 16, 2000
Ah yes, but what if you stole something that proved wrong, beyond all doubt, an existing well-established belief? Would that constitute stealing the "truth"?

Rastus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
There are many ways to steal the truth:

Lies
Opinion presented as fact
Just being wrong
Omission

Willoughbyva

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2001
Yes you can steal the truth. You can find the truth and manipulate it to your own desires. Or not share the truth with someone. Or charge people for the truth. Truth is convoluded. (I suck at spelling)

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Willoughbyva
Yes you can steal the truth. You can find the truth and manipulate it to your own desires. Or not share the truth with someone. Or charge people for the truth. Truth is convoluded. (I suck at spelling)

But doesn't theft involve taking something that you have or are entitled to and removing it? Are people entitled to the truth?