POLL: BMW M3 vs. Corvette Z06

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

stev0

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
i'd buy the z06... then ship it off to lingenfelter and have them drop twin turbos on it :D

linky

:D
1997-2003 Corvette Twin Turbo LS1, ZO6 - 427 CID 725 BHP / 650 lbs-ft of torque

:D^3

KingNothing

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2002
Originally posted by: Howard
M3, assuming I had more money to install a turbo kit. :)

Can you do that on an M3? The stock compression is pretty high and the engine overall is pretty tweaked out already...

Jun 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Rent
Originally posted by: CFster
Originally posted by: KnightBreed
Originally posted by: CFster Buwahahahah - yeah, American pig iron compared to the finest sedan in the world. We won't go into GM's outstanding track record as far as reliability. I've got CD's (for work) full of recalls and TSBs for those things (Corvettes included). Doesn't matter if they're in the same category or not - the BMW wins. There's a reason why the M3 is called the best handling car in the world. There's more to handling than skidpad and slalom figures. There's BALANCE and refinement. Funny, I spend a lot of time at the SCCA races and see a lot more BMW's out there than Corvettes on the track. And the Viper is like the Corvette squared - goes like a bastard down the straights, but handles like a truck. All kinds of grip, then snap oversteer. Face it, the Corvette has been and always will be a muscle car. That's fine if you're a kid - but I want more when I grow older.
That's funny because a Z06 will beat an M3 around any road course. You don't see Z06's at SCCA events because its wide track makes it difficult to flick around the tight corners. That, and it has way too much power for those tiny ass courses.
Not the slightest clue what you're talking about. You're getting road racing and autocrossing mixed up dude. I believe Watkings Glen is something like 3.3 miles around, and my local track (Limerock), is 1.3 miles around. Funny, Limerock had enough room for the 700hp Trans Am cars a few weeks ago... And I've seen a lot of Corvettes spanked by their share of bimmers around here, you can be sure of that.

I've seen my fair share of M3s spanked. If its a drivers race, espically on AutoX, the Vette will win, pending drivers have equal skill.

Anyways, I'd take a Z06 in a heartbeat. No questions asked.
SCCA is pretty vague. What classes are you referring too exactly? For some reason I had those small parking lot autocross courses in mind. When I said "road courses," I was referring to Watkins Glen, Laguna Seca, etc, etc.. In any event, a properly driven Z06 will beat a properly driven M3 any day of the week.

Cyberian

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2000
Originally posted by: CFster

Not the slightest clue what you're talking about. You're getting road racing and autocrossing mixed up dude.

I believe Watkings Glen is something like 3.3 miles around, and my local track (Limerock), is 1.3 miles around.

Funny, Limerock had enough room for the 700hp Trans Am cars a few weeks ago...

And I've seen a lot of Corvettes spanked by their share of bimmers around here, you can be sure of that.
Doesn't the SCCA have all kinds of different races and a whole bunch of separate classes?

fitzhue

Golden Member
Sep 24, 2000
the z06 is practically a balls out race car. the m3 is more of a cruising car that is still crazy fast. with that being said, i'd take the z06. :)

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002
whoever thinks the z06 is a straight-line only car, or that it is for kiddies is a fool

it could track against the best cars in the world, unlike other cars that get by on sheer HP, and the avg age of its owner is 49

Shantanu

Banned
Feb 6, 2001
Corvette outsells BMW M3 6:1.

M3 used to be a good car back in the day. But then they overpriced it. I wouldn't pay $55K or whatever they charge for a fully loaded one now.

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
I say Z06. It's 9/10th of 911 Turbo performance at 1/2 the cost...sounds like a damn good deal to me.

And to those who say it doensn't have the classy interior thats fit for a $50k car, well it doesn't have the performance of a $50k car either ;) I'd take performance over interior quality anyday of the week, especially in a two-door sports car which is meant for the track (I have seen these on the track..and they are AWESOME!).

Platinum Member
May 7, 2003
Tough Choice...
The Z06 is not made for the upper class, its more of an enthusiast car. The M3 has the nice interior and sporty and elegant look. Aww hell I go with the Z06 because I like to feel my engine

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Link

Linked above are the One Lap of America race results which take place at a number of tracks all across America.

Notice the top two cars are Vettes (one a Z06), and that the top M3 was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in 28th.

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
And what is all this about "refinement" and "interior"? I'd rather have a sports car than a luxury car, but that's just me.

bigshot

Feb 13, 2001
depends...if you want performance handling and looks Z06 but if you need a sedan with some big power M3 is the way to go.

for 50k though, i would take the Z06 cause theres nothing better than 405hp and 400 torque down really low.

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
Very tough choice. I grew up with posters of the Corvette on my walls, and it's the superior car from a performance standpoint. I think as a daily driver, though, I'd have to go with the M3. Maybe the C6 'Vette will change my mind, though. :)

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
I like that old 850CSI or better yet the one of a kind M8 yea it aint 50K though it is not for sale. I do Like the old 8 series though nice

The BMW 850CSi is a detuned version of the M8 which has never been produced and remained a prototype only. The M8 should have been built in a consequently lightweight manner in order to be a 'Ferrari-Killer'. The specially developed 550 hp engine has never been used except in the prototype - of which only one exists. But with the support of McLaren the M8 engine was transformed into the power plant of the McLaren F1 super sports car. At the time of development of the M8 there was virtually no market for such a car, so the BMW manager cancelled the project.

The M8-Prototype is perhaps the best-kept secret of BMW. Absolutely no one must see it or can get information, by order from the general manager himself. Questions from motorsport magazines remain unanswered as well. The car is locked away in the so-called Giftschrank, which could be translated as 'poison-storage'. According to BMW it is hidden behind lots of boxes anyway and will be destroyed in the near future as the 8 series doesn't exist any more and neither a successor.

The Prototype has never been road safe (even the headlights were missing as you can see in the picture) and was only loosely patched together, which is the reason why it is not presented in their museum. It's not even good for that ...says BMW.

Yes, the papers of an 850CSi say, it's an M8, but that's not of much use if you know what it could have been. What the S70 engine is capable of speaks for itself. See the world record run of the McLaren F1. The guys at McLaren say they could get 1000 hp at 9500 or 10000 rpm from the engine.

too bad BMW never put their McLaren V-12 in the 8 for production wow. I must admit the interior on the new beamer or bimmer rather are alot nicer.

Corvette it's ok i guess doesn't get my blood flowing though

e31.net click on images for some nice pics

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Assuming my current car holdings?

Z06.

If I didnt have a "roomy" car for kids n etc etc etc crap.

M3

Only thing I'm missing is a sports car. Got a family car, got a SUV. It would be *completely* different if I didnt have one of the two above. I base my purchasing decisions on how they best fit my need, not which one I like more. With 3 kids family acrs are a must. As said, i have one...Z06. :)

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
hmm, the best handling car in the world, period (according to car and driver), or a GM vehicle? let me think. yes, i'll take the best handling car in the world, thank you very much.

Shakamaka

Jul 8, 2002
I think it goes without saying that you can get a lot more girls with an M3. Not to mention it's a much better ride all around. A corvette is a really big engine with a steering wheel.