[POLL] - Black Friday Follow-up

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
So how did everyone do shopping today?

Feel free to post what you got and didn't get and if you rate your experience a success or not.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: thirdeye
I'm at work, so no shopping for me. Thankfully so, my patience for the greed that this day brings out of people is very little.

i'm at work also but even if i wasn't, there's no way in hell i would go out today.

grohl

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2004
Damn.

Not that I REALLY expected to get the 50 inch plasma at Best Buy, so I shouldn't be pissed, but I am.

There were 5 per store. At 3:45 when I got there there were about 300 in front of me. I figured everyone wanted the cheaper stuff like the smaller TVs, the laptop deals and stuff.

Turns out there were about a dozen college kids who each took the voucher for EVERY ticked item and then were SELLING THE VOUCHERS on down the line!

Silver lining: when I came home I found a comparable deal on Amazon, with free shipping and no sales tax price is about the same.

Got some stuff from Home Depot too.

herkulease

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
I went to fry's and bolted home because of the line. I make more than enough that saving 30 bucks isn't worth the wait in the cold. Wasn't eyeing any big ticket items anyhow.

went to radio shack near home, was a line but short 15 people or so, everyone went for the cheap motorola head set. I wish radio shack would've limited it to 1 per person to be fair. But luckily I have long arms I just reached over a shorter lady and grabbed the last one.

and grabed the enzo rc car for the kids(okay really its me, but its they are my excuse to buy toys) to play with.

herkulease

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
Originally posted by: grohl
Turns out there were about a dozen college kids who each took the voucher for EVERY ticked item and then were SELLING THE VOUCHERS on down the line!

Stores need to do something to stop this. They should force people to buy it right away. I know people will cry capitalism but I only accept that to an extent.

And what happens when no one buys it those guys throw it away. the people who wanted it and waited went home after being told its be "sold"

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: herkulease
Originally posted by: grohl

Stores need to do something to stop this. They should force people to buy it right away. I know people will cry capitalism but I only accept that to an extent.

And what happens when no one buys it those guys throw it away. the people who wanted it and waited went home after being told its be "sold"

If only there was some way for them to pay for the item first, and then get a voucher.

Juno

Lifer
Jul 3, 2004
didn't go because i could order them online. i was very surprised so i ordered a sony dsc-s500 6.0mp and a 1gb sd compactflash for $187 combined.

will go to BB and compusa to check out some games. :)

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Anyways, I went bought stuff at two stores:

Sears:

Craftsman 53 piece tool kit: $13 after two $10 gift cards
Craftsman 2 1/4 ton jack: $21

Harbor Freight:

Car Jack: $13
Creeper: $10
3 piece Wrench set: $4
Flashlight: $10

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Only thing I really wanted was the westy 22" LCD at BB for $200... didn't get it, but not too annoyed, it doesn't have HDCP anyway.

Mellman

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2003
i used to go out every black friday to buy things...but lately the deals have not really been that spectacular...maybe $10-50 less than I could get something for online. On the big ticket Items, more often then not they're crap brands anyways...so black friday has lost its hype for me. Its not worth getting shot, trampled, etc by some stupid idiot...and standing around a bunch of smelly non-showering geeks in line for 4 hours...and even getting in line 4 hours early does nothing anymore. Black friday has turned into woot... an interesting phenomenon... somewhat OK deals...but not worth the hassle.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I wanted a Wii--didn't get it.

I wanted an Ipod alarm clock and/or flatscreen 27" TV for my sister--didn't get it.

I ended up with a bunch of $3.98 DVDs from Target--mostly chick flicks for my sisters.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
I got everything I wanted this year.

A chance to sleep in.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
1 gig SD cards x 3 @ $13 a piece at Office Depot
2 gig SD card x 1 @ $24 at Office Depot

A couple timex watches for 75% off at Walgreens

Pretty nice Black & Decker toolkit for $80 at Target

Garmin VistaCX GPS unit for $199 after $50 MIR at Dicks
Really nice basketball for $19.99 at Dicks
Dicks still had around 6 of the $199 kayaks, but I'm going to grab one from Gander Mountain tomorrow that I liked better.

Did all that in under 90 minutes starting a little before 8:00AM.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
i got up at 3:30 am and sat online trying to get some online stuff from walmart, it was after 7 am before i finally got my order/confirmation through

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
Originally posted by: Mellman
i used to go out every black friday to buy things...but lately the deals have not really been that spectacular...maybe $10-50 less than I could get something for online. On the big ticket Items, more often then not they're crap brands anyways...so black friday has lost its hype for me. Its not worth getting shot, trampled, etc by some stupid idiot...and standing around a bunch of smelly non-showering geeks in line for 4 hours...and even getting in line 4 hours early does nothing anymore. Black friday has turned into woot... an interesting phenomenon... somewhat OK deals...but not worth the hassle.

Yup, exactly.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Walked into Microcenter at 10AM. Walked out of Microcenter at 10:35AM with Premium Xbox 360 for $200 after rebate.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: Slew Foot
Originally posted by: Mellman

Yup, exactly.

Ahhhh. One of the small treasures about living in a predominently rural area. We don't have the hype and hysteria of you city folk.

Parrotheader

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 1999
Yup.

I actually ventured into a local Staples and Home Depot that aren't situated near any other major retail areas (so traffic and crowds are a non-issue.) I walked in after 9:30 and got the few little items I was after without any trouble at all.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Wow. not many people went out today it looks like. Or they are still sleeping after being up all night.

LookingGlass

Platinum Member
Jul 8, 2005
What is becoming more common among retailers, is to start sales before thanksgiving, sounds like a winner to me. No muss, no fuss. Consumer wins.

Azndude51

Platinum Member
Sep 26, 2004
I got everything I wanted and more (stuff that my sister wanted). However, I did wait almost 6 hours in front of Best Buy, though I spent most of it catching up on TV shows on my PMP so it wasn't bad.