POLL!!! ati or nvidia

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
i love nvidia personally, but since they 9700 everyone has been bashing nvidia. i dont know why, all of their products are solid for the most part, more than i can say for ati....here comes the flames against me(although none of them will change the fact that all 5 of my nvidia cards have kicked ass)

WarRaven

Dec 14, 2002
NVIDIA makes a great product they just seem to be pulling a "3DFX" over the last few months. The ATI 9700 Pro question has been eating at me also. But atlast I will go with the 9700 Pro, to keep playing the wait game just means you miss all the fun. Each generation of video cards will always be better then the last one. Just pick the best all around card for the now and just keep upgrading every 8-12 months. Get your $$$ worth from the card, sell it on ebay.

Good Luck!

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Right now I think both are great. If you really hate one or the other, then you either had a bad experience with an older card (the newer ones from both companies run great), or are just biased against one or the other. Many people jumped on the ATI bandwagon since they are the speed champs right now, and many are jumping back on the nvidia bandwagon in anticipation of the GF FX.

I'm running a GF 4 Ti4200, up from an 8500 (which I loved also). Prior to that, I had a GF3 Ti200, with a Radeon DDR before that.

I voted for nvidia since that's what I run right now, but I have no personal bias towards one or the other.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
both are world-class companies that produce great products...it's amazing to see such a rivalry. i predict that this is going to be a really big year for the videocard industry...but i also predict that ati is going to gain alot of market-share. their products of late are really mopping the floor with nvidia, and even once the gffx is out, it will have similar performance to that of the 9700 pro. add to this that ati will have their R350 ready BEFORE the gffx hits the shelves with the RV350 soon to follow, i don't see much hope for nvidia in the first half of this year.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I like both vendors but at the moment I'm with ATi because the 9700 Pro is the fastest card available.

mrzed

Jan 29, 2001
I voted other just to be contrarian.

I should have voted ATI because I am Canadian.

But really, It's all about the product. Right now, ATI has the upper hand in most price points.

kmmatney

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2000
I use a Radeon DDR (actually a $45 Radeon LE Bios flashed to a Radeon DDR), but I have nothing against nVidia. I just like getting a lot of bang for the buck.

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Coming from a person who has bought in order over the last 2 years...

Radeon 32mb ddr (nice card, but no thrills with the card which is why it actually worked...)

Geforce 2 pro 64mb ddr (gainward Golden sample) ***sweet card**

Radeon 8500 64mb ddr (one bad baord RMA'd and another one I could never get TV-out to
look even just decent)
Geforce4 440MX 64mb ddr (flawless, tv-out work marvelously....)

Radeon 8500DV AIW 64mb ddr (software and hardware hassles, hardware
compatability, general lack of working feature
without much time and effort)

and now likely back to Nvidia as either

Geforce4 ti4200 128mb ddr 8x agp VIVO with 3 head display (gainward golden sample)

or

Geforce4 440MX 128mb ddr 8x agp VIVO with 3 head disply (gainward golden sample)

My reasons...

ATI products out of the box and with cd drivers usually do not work correctly...Driver installs are a pain often the best method being contrary to what the ATI site says. This company to me needs some serious work. I bough the DV card and took me 5 weeks to work through all but one of the issues. this shite should have worked out of the box. The last issue is likley compatability with the ACPI of my mobo and I don't feel like hacking the bios bin file to disable the acpi and do areformat and reinstall for the 8 time and 5 weeks.

I am not the big gamer so to me ati being the fastest at games means sqwat!!!! I will take just a product that works out of the gate...

IMHO...ATI driver revisions are to fix bugs because they didn't get the crap ironed out prior to release. Nvidia driver revisions usually just optimise an already fast and WORKING card....

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Originally posted by: OldSpooky
I use a Radeon DDR, but I have nothing against nVidia.

Same here, I know that ATI has had issues w/ drivers in the past, but I truly believe that recently they have done a good job, just my opinion :)

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
I just got me a gf4 ti4200
there drivers are still better imo
and ati can't beat their linux support

Aug 15, 2002
Voted for ATI because they have the fastest card today (and I have one since 2 months). For me the Radeon9700 pro works fine, all games run without a problem (using always the latest drivers). Quality with 4AFand16AA is extremly good, you get used to this very quickly.

However I owned a lot of Nvidia cards before (coming from 3DFX): TNT2 Ultra, Geforce2 GTS, Geforce3Ti200, Geforce4Ti4200 and would go Nvidia again if their product range fits to my needs (ok, I was really hot for 4*AF and 16*AA and that is something ATI delivers since 6 months.)

I love the competition and hope both companies will survive, I would even appreciate a 3rd competitor.

Cheers
Speedy

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
I really like Nvidia for driver stability and having the fastest card in town means nothing to me if drivers don`t cut it.I just like to stick any game in and play,I get that with Nvidia which makes me one happy gamer :).

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Mem
I really like Nvidia for driver stability and having the fastest card in town means nothing to me if drivers don`t cut it.I just like to stick any game in and play,I get that with Nvidia which makes me one happy gamer :).

Precisely. I voted nvidia as well.

Ipno

Golden Member
Apr 30, 2001
I like both companies for the simple fact that if only one really good graphic company existed it would suck for all of us.

DoobieOnline

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
I really didn't care much for ATi until the 9700Pro, but that had a LOT to do with drivers/conflicts from trying the original Radeon and the 8500 series. I gave the 9700Pro a shot just to see what would happen and I have to say that I've had no conflicts of any kind and games look even better with it than the Ti4600 it replaced. Nvidia is still the plug-n-play king, but ATi is really doing a great job lately.

CurtCold

Golden Member
Aug 15, 2002
First card: Trident blade with 8MB
Stepped up to the Voodoo2
Got the fever, had to run dual Voodoo2's
Paired GF2 with 32MB with 533Celeron
GF2 GTS abit silaro.. Still a nice card
Radeon 8500 about 5Months ago. Love the card, and features

I like both company's Nvidia for hassle free, put it in load the drivers, then play.
ATI for 3rd party features, (aka, Rage3D tweak)
Pain in the arse to uninstall, then reinstall ATI drivers once a week/month, but at least they are better.

I'm happy with the 8500 for right now, but when FX comes out, going to upgrade again, prolly to the 9500PRO.

Currently posting from a system with a RageII-c. ;)

ratki

Jan 24, 2003
Try sending an e-mail to ATI and getting a personal response; not likely. Try calling them about customer care issues and you will pay dearly. After talking to ATI about known technical issues with the ATI TV Wonder PCI I came to the conclusion that they are to concerned about keeping customers, but more about getting them. That's a problem, I feel, once you have purchased an ATI product. I didn't ask for much, only for a timeframe as to when they would fix the problem with stereo capability or if they didn't plan on it a rebate in the difference in price between the TV Wonder and TV Wonder VE. They have lost a one time loyal customer and if I were you I would look elsewhere first.

IBdaMac

Jan 12, 2003
I would have to also go with ATI. I had their 8500 and now I have their 9700 pro and I couldn't be happier. Nvidia's drivers are said to be
so much more stable and everything but I have never had any problems playing any game or anything like that with either of the cards.

I love the 9700's ability to still get 40fps in a game when running it in 1600x1200 with 4xAA and 16xAF. Ati is the first one to let you do that.

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
Grabs some krayzie glue, wires, cardboard, plastic and gets to work.......................> WaTaGuMp

mrman3k

Dec 15, 2001
I really like both ATI and Nvidia. I feel they both offer great products and are needed for each other to keep pushing the graphics envelope further. Now if we could only get those programmers to use these ultra-powerful graphics cards and hardware in general. Once I was talking to an engineer for AMD and he said that software is several years behind hardware, and I would totally agree.