Poll... are you culturally diversified?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001

<< Yes, by dating every natinoality, ethnic group, or race of women. :D >>

What, no men? :p

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Not really. I'm decently versed in British and German culture, but past that I don't know much about any modern culture outside of America. I've studied ancient Greek and Roman culture a little bit though, and I'm trying to learn more about Buddhism, though I'm not sure if the last is technically a culture or a religion.

ZV

cmdavid

Diamond Member
May 23, 2001
I would say that I am very diverse and probably am proud of it more than anything else about myself. Both of my parents were born and raised in Egypt, met in America and married in NJ. I was born in California, lived there for 6 months or so, then moved to Kansas where my lil sis was born. Lived in Kansas for about 2.5 years. Then moved to Japan at age 3.

Of course, growing up, my only language was Arabic since my parents were both born and raised in Egypt. When i started Pre-K at age 4 or 5 or whenever, thats when i began learning English, cause i went to an American school. Anyways, we moved to japan in 1985 and stayed there until 2000. So, 15 years in a country definitely made me realize that the American way (which i never really knew), or the Egyptian way, were not the only ways.

I grew accustomed to the Japanese way as our whole family did. I pretty much learned the language fluently BEFORE i took it for 3 years in high school just so i could learn to read and write and proper grammer. I am now minoring in it in college. OUr family takes our shoes off in the house, love Japanese food (sashimi (raw fish), udon, tempura and a whole bunch of other good stuff), our house is entirely decorated w/ tonsu's, kimono's and some other stuff.

Yet we love mediterannean food (Greek food is the same as Egyptain food pretty much. Gyros, Baklava, Tabouli, Falaffil and other stuff). edit: btw, my mom cooks all this food, shes GOOD at cookin...

And now I live in Georgia (i go to Georgia Tech). If Georgia is not an American state, i dunno what is.

oh yeah, to top it all off. About 95% of Egypt is Muslim. Well, I'm a Christian. As a matter of fact, my father's dad was a Christian Pastor in Egypt. The only reason I am in America is because my father was tired of persecution in Egypt for being a Christian, and didnt want his children to go through the same thing.

so thats my diverse life. On top of that, travel wise our family has been to about 10-15 countries for visits and vacations and what not, so that should add a little bit more to my diversity score right?? hehe..

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com

<< I'm so culturally diverse that I continually offend myself unintentionally by making insensitive remarks about other parts of me. Grrrrrrrr. <STRONG>I demand reperations!</STRONG> :D

Actually, one of the many things I love about the United States of America is that we have the No.1 consumer marketplace in the whole world. Not only are most things relatively cheaper, especially vs. our median earning power, but we have the most diverse and easily accessible range of goods and services on this damn planet!!

Just one example is food. Especially if you live near an urban center, you can choose from a mind boggling range of toothsome goodies from all sorts of different cultures.

Music? Just go to the "far left" on yer radio dial, especially if you live near a college. And now, there's both internet radio and the new satellite services.

Hemorrhoid ointment? Your local chain pharmacy probably has at least five different brands, and the best part is that each one is guaranteed to be better than the others! In a lesser country, that would be a logical impossibility!

Yet another seemingly insignificant example are How To and Self Help books. We take them for granted, and they've been around for decades, but they are a far more recent phenomenon in Europe and elsewhere.
>>

I've worked with people from many different countries and they are amazed at the sheer variety of things you can buy in this country and the relatively low prices for things like food.

With that said I'm not all that sure that the abundence of self-help books is such a good thing though :)

zeon

Mar 20, 2001
the extent of my diversity is such that occasionally i'll talk with a scotish accent for a while. then people will call me on how stupid i sound and i'll get all defensive/pouty about how it's all the culture i have.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Living in the Bay Area in California, it's hard not to be culturally diversified. At the very least, you to meet a lo of people from different cultures. You may not immerse yourself in different cultures, but living here you meet people from everywhere. Every time I do group work at school, it's like a meeting of the United Nations.

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
well, i like punk/ska and i play classical chinese music... i consider myself fairly culturally diverse.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000

<< oh yeah, to top it all off. About 95% of Egypt is Muslim. Well, I'm a Christian. As a matter of fact, my father's dad was a Christian Pastor in Egypt. The only reason I am in America is because my father was tired of persecution in Egypt for being a Christian, and didnt want his children to go through the same thing. >>

I feel for you and your father... there are definitely easier things to bear in this life than being a Coptic in Egypt, that's for sure. That being said, at least your father wasn't Sudanese, else you might not be here to post on Anandtech today. As bad as Egypt can be for a Christian, it's still one of the better Arab countries for non-Muslims, although that is of course all relative.