[Poll] Are you a racist if you support Trump today? (7/29/2020)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Are you a racist if you support Trump today? (7/29/2020)

• Yes

Votes: 65 75.6%
  • No

Votes: 17 19.8%
  • Undecided

Votes: 4 4.7%

• Total voters

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
if you vote biden you are a pedophile
I am sorry if I hurt your feelings, truly, I was simply trying to prove the informal fallacy of your argument as per

Like that famous one that goes sort of like this (and this is not *your* mom, its *a* mom); a rock cant fly, your mom cant fly, therefor your mom must be a rock.

It sort of has the same deduction qualities. See?

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
As I've heard it said:

You may not be explicitly racist if you vote for Trump, but you also don't believe overt racism is a dealbreaker.

And remember, Trump's key advisor on issues like immigration, Stephen Miller, is a confirmed white supremacist... and Trump didn't care after he found out.

SmCaudata

Oct 8, 2006
As I've heard it said:

You may not be explicitly racist if you vote for Trump, but you also don't believe overt racism is a dealbreaker.

And remember, Trump's key advisor on issues like immigration, Stephen Miller, is a confirmed white supremacist... and Trump didn't care after he found out.

Not minding if someone else is overtly racist, is racist in itself.

Secondly, Trump knew all along that Miller was racist. In fact learning this probably raised him up in Trumos view, leading to the current status.

I know you are stating these to be true... but I can't let them sit unrefuted for some reason.

Reactions: cytg111

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
No editorial here, just a poll.
Are you a racist if you support Trump today? (7/29/2020)

No, with the caveat that there's a substantial portion that likely are and do.

You have your reasons for saying yes, but that is fake news. Your reasons and your reality are not real to them. Not understood to exist, let alone whether they are valid reasons. Calling every last supporter racist makes it clear to me, I think, that you do not appreciate or even comprehend the bubble that exists. The difference in context and reality. That the two parties are living under very different ideas of what reality is. With no common set of facts or principles.

Who they are and what they do - is not something you are equipped to understand. I'll start with a simple nugget.

Do you call it racist to be protectionist, to fear the offshoring of jobs?
Trump spoke very heavily on that subject, to win in 2016.

Reactions: qwertymac93

SmCaudata

Oct 8, 2006
No, with the caveat that there's a substantial portion that likely are and do.

You have your reasons for saying yes, but that is fake news. Your reasons and your reality are not real to them. Not understood to exist, let alone whether they are valid reasons. Calling every last supporter racist makes it clear to me, I think, that you do not appreciate or even comprehend the bubble that exists. The difference in context and reality. That the two parties are living under very different ideas of what reality is. With no common set of facts or principles.

Who they are and what they do - is not something you are equipped to understand. I'll start with a simple nugget.

Do you call it racist to be protectionist, to fear the offshoring of jobs?
Trump spoke very heavily on that subject, to win in 2016.
All the while he in fact did nothing to improve American job prospects. He could have applied tariffs in ways to bring jobs back. He didnt succeed on this.

The only campaign promises that hes actually made good on are
1.building his wall to keep brown people out.
2. Undoing everything the black guy that had the office did before him (even the logical things that traditionally Republicans support).

Tell me again how supporting this president doesn't make you racist.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Tell me again how supporting this president doesn't make you racist.

My words were for the OP - but they clearly apply to you as well. Probably most Democrats and forum members here. You paint them and their motives with your version of events. And somehow think you understand them, and can speak for them.

You should ask his supporters if he has fought for them on the trade war. And what a glorious deal Dear Leader has gifted them.

Who they are and what they do - is not something you are equipped to understand. Your headspace is not within their bubble.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Not minding if someone else is overtly racist, is racist in itself.

Secondly, Trump knew all along that Miller was racist. In fact learning this probably raised him up in Trumos view, leading to the current status.

I know you are stating these to be true... but I can't let them sit unrefuted for some reason.

I don't disagree -- there's still racism when you tolerate racism from your elected officials. It's just a question of nuance. Someone who mindlessly votes Trump for anti-choice policy may not be a card-carrying white supremacist themselves, but they're exhibiting racism by tolerating it or pretending it doesn't exist.

On the Miller front: I'd say it's more that the confirmation of Miller's white supremacist links was a watershed moment. Even if Trump hadn't already known about Miller's views, he should have fired his advisor on the spot after that news.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
if you vote biden you are a pedophile

That's the best you can do? Try to link someone's vote to a false claim? Wow, Biden really is a shoo-in if you have nothing of substance to recommend for Trump (and let's be clear, you never did).

The best part: if you're going to link a voter's behavior to that of a candidate... what does that say about you? Trump is overtly corrupt, a pathological narcissist and a confirmed serial cheater on all of his wives. He faces over 15 allegations of sexual assault and was more than a little close to Epstein.

SmCaudata

Oct 8, 2006
My words were for the OP - but they clearly apply to you as well. Probably most Democrats and forum members here. You paint them and their motives with your version of events. And somehow think you understand them, and can speak for them.

You should ask his supporters if he has fought for them on the trade war. And what a glorious deal Dear Leader has gifted them.

Who they are and what they do - is not something you are equipped to understand. Your headspace is not within their bubble.
I have asked his supporters. I have many fundamentalist "Christian" relatives.

I'm not globally generalizing, I'm saying that to support him now is racist.

Just like:
Re-electing W was saying you are okay sending young people to die in an unjust war.

The Repubs abandoned Bush senior due to him not being agressive enough on taxes. He was worried about the budget and actually did the right thing. The fact that Repubs won't abandon Trump shows that they are less concerned with systemic racism and more concerned with their pocketbooks.

Reactions: Pohemi

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Why is every time he talks to the press gaggle you can barely hear him because of the noise the chopper makes? This is another thing I do not like about him. Other than his constant dog whistling and gas lighting he does.
He does it because in his own myopic worldview it makes him look important. It creates an appearance of an important man, important enough to have his own chopper waiting on him, on his way to a bigly important meeting, and he's just oh-so gracious enough to take a few minutes out of his busy schedule to answer a few questions. It also gives him an easy way out in case he gets a question he doesn't like.

The thing is, anyone with an iota of intelligence can see that the emperor has no clothes. Trump is an evolutionary aberration. The chopper talk is just another way to feed his innate narcissism.

Reactions: soundforbjt

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I don't disagree -- there's still racism when you tolerate racism from your elected officials. It's just a question of nuance. Someone who mindlessly votes Trump for anti-choice policy may not be a card-carrying white supremacist themselves, but they're exhibiting racism by tolerating it or pretending it doesn't exist.

It gets murkier than that because one who tolerates racism may be the kind of cowardly racist who just needs to be emboldened.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
DEFINITELY YES.
Those people "use to" pretend they were not or that they had no problem with Blacks, Hispanics, Muslims, gays or Asians. But NOW it is ok per Donald Trump to pursue your constitutional rights and be as racist as you want. Let it all come out.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
As I've heard it said:

Kind of like voting for a child rapist because you can get a tax cut. Says less about the rapist but more about you

Reactions: cytg111

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
The racist allegations are consistent with democrats who can't seem to run on merit, but seek to destroy people in the opposing political party. We can count on these dishonest narratives every 2-4 years. I hear from a bunch of black men and women regularly, who support Trump and do not believe he's a racist. The real racism comes out toward those minority supporters, from white people calling them "uncle Tom", "co0n" "token", etc. Yes, white liberals virtue signal from the roof tops, until a person of color supports a republican, then they show their racist asses. There are groups of POC, who do not believe Trump is racist. Black voices for Trump, Blacks for Trump, Latinos for Trump, The Walk Away movement. Larry Elder, Leo Terrell, David Harris Jr, Terrence Williams, Candace Owens, Alveda King, Herman Cain (RIP), Allen West, Ben Carson, Lynn Patton, Peggy Hubbard, etc.

Last edited:

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
The racist allegations are consistent with democrats who can't seem to run on merit, but seek to destroy people in the opposing political party. We can count on these dishonest narratives every 2-4 years. I hear from a bunch of black men and women regularly, who support Trump and do not believe he's a racist. The real racism comes out toward those minority supporters, from white people calling them "uncle Tom", "co0n" "token", etc. Yes, white liberals virtue signal from the roof tops, until a person of color supports a republican, then they show their racist asses. There are groups of POC, who do not believe Trump is racist. Black voices for Trump, Blacks for Trump, Latinos for Trump, The Walk Away movement. Larry Elder, Leo Terrell, David Harris Jr, Terrence Williams, Candace Owens, Alveda King, Herman Cain (RIP), Allen West, man more.
Oh sure saying a federal judge can't do his job because he's Mexican isn't racist.
Oh sure redlining blacks out of his apartment buildings isn't racist.
Oh sure calling African countries shitholes isn't racist.
Oh sure saying most Mexican immigrants are rapists isn't racist.

I don't care what your "black people who support Trump" say Facts indicate the opposite.

Since Trump is so worthy of re-election I expect you find your list of reasons in this thread.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
The racist allegations are consistent with democrats who can't seem to run on merit, but seek to destroy people in the opposing political party. We can count on these dishonest narratives every 2-4 years. I hear from a bunch of black men and women regularly, who support Trump and do not believe he's a racist. The real racism comes out toward those minority supporters, from white people calling them "uncle Tom", "co0n" "token", etc. Yes, white liberals virtue signal from the roof tops, until a person of color supports a republican, then they show their racist asses. There are groups of POC, who do not believe Trump is racist. Black voices for Trump, Blacks for Trump, Latinos for Trump, The Walk Away movement. Larry Elder, Leo Terrell, David Harris Jr, Terrence Williams, Candace Owens, Alveda King, Herman Cain (RIP), Allen West, Ben Carson, Lynn Patton, Peggy Hubbard, etc.
Butt hurt much??
Most Black people who are in lower income brackets or who live in substandard housing or who are working 2 or 3 jobs to make ends meet, do not support Trump!
Notice I said most, black people!
The narrative that you are pushing is not backed up by fact!!
Again, do you need some butt hurt ointment???

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
I can only go off anecdotal evidence where every Trump supporter I've known throughout the years has made tons of racists comments.
Even those who "claim" not to be Trump supporters but still magically use the same talking points as Trump supporters have history of racists comments.
Then you have the "I don't pay attention to politics...BUT" crowd. The BLM protests brought those sneaky bastards out of the shadows.

The sad part is, none of this goes away when Trump and his merry band of scumbag goes away.
Look at who is rising up in the Republican party. Look at those running for office in red states.
Look at every single giant Trump flag that is STILL flying in your neighborhood and think about what these people are all going to be doing in December and on through 2021.

Complicating matters that the Republicans have gimped the system so much that any corrective action by Democrats will be used as propaganda to feed the idiots that occupy the GOP base.

Reactions: Nereus77

compuwiz1

Oct 9, 1999
Oh sure saying a federal judge can't do his job because he's Mexican isn't racist.
Oh sure redlining blacks out of his apartment buildings isn't racist.
Oh sure calling African countries shitholes isn't racist.
Oh sure saying most Mexican immigrants are rapists isn't racist.

I don't care what your "black people who support Trump" say Facts indicate the opposite.

Since Trump is so worthy of re-election I expect you find your list of reasons in this thread.

Most of that is out of context and I understood very well where he was coming from. First off, he was talking about illegal immigrants. Where I used to live, 90% of the daily jail roster was such people, rapists, murder, gun charges, drugs.
Sorry, but a lot of places in Africa are shit holes and there are also white people who live in Africa. You choose to take that as racist, while I don't. As for the supposed redlining of the 70s, while wrong, it wasn't just the Trumps, but is an ugly part of history where the practice was pretty common in some parts. That case was settled out of court, for an undisclosed amount, without admitting guilt. My wife and I had this happen to us in the late 70s. Wife is Filipino. A person, who happens to be a person of color can also be turned down because of credit, even today. It's not automatically always racism.
The other day, apparently Trump said something about nice neighborhoods not having to put up with low income housing coming in. I didn't hear it, but heard some people were upset about it. I wasn't. When people who have worked hard to be able to afford to live in an upscale neighborhood, the last thing they want is a low income housing complex being built there. That's got more to do with what poverty attracts to the neighborhood, than race. With poverty comes broken down cars, people who might bring drugs, break into the nice homes, more crime, devaluation of properties, etc.
There are plenty of places to build low income housing. Everything doesn't have to always be racism.

• Haha

compuwiz1

Oct 9, 1999
Butt hurt much??
Most Black people who are in lower income brackets or who live in substandard housing or who are working 2 or 3 jobs to make ends meet, do not support Trump!
Notice I said most, black people!
The narrative that you are pushing is not backed up by fact!!
Again, do you need some butt hurt ointment???

I'm not butt hurt at all, quite the opposite. I'm happy for those who have seen that they have choices, that they do not have to be locked to a party, that they have independent voices and thoughts, that they don't see themselves as victims, just because the democratic party tries to keep them in that mentality. I'm happy that LBJs detrimental policies and racism hasn't kept everyone down. I'm happy that many understand that the Democratic party promises everything, every election, then does nothing for them but pander for votes.