[Poll] Are you a racist if you support Trump today? (7/29/2020)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Are you a racist if you support Trump today? (7/29/2020)

• Yes

Votes: 65 75.6%
  • No

Votes: 17 19.8%
  • Undecided

Votes: 4 4.7%

• Total voters

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
A little to subtle for him to understand calling myself darkie or spook

I agree, context and subtle language is not his thing. It's not many American's cup of tea.

I recently took some work provided training on cultures with High Context Language and Low Context Language. American's are definitely on the Low context side of things. Subtlety is not our strong suit, myself included.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Hold on I’ll do it

@HomerJS around 12 years ago a black guy I worked with said I am a Bill Clinton kind of Black Man and I’m welcome to hang out with him.
I’ve always assumed that was a compliment, am I correct?
Sounds like he meant old southern white guy perfectly comfortable around black people.

Feb 4, 2009
I agree, context and subtle language is not his thing. It's not many American's cup of tea.

I recently took some work provided training on cultures with High Context Language and Low Context Language. American's are definitely on the Low context side of things. Subtlety is not our strong suit, myself included.

This interests me....
This part is far off topic forgive my indulgence

Yesterday I noticed the Brazilian native speakers had trouble understanding “don’t fill the ice coffee to the top, I want to add soy milk at home” (calm down everyone this is my wife’s coffee) the girl who spoke great English said “ah leave a gap”. That was the first time the coffee was filled perfectly in months.
This morning with a different Brazilian native speaker I remembered to say “leave a gap” she totally understood and this coffee was perfect too.
I was thinking what is it about Brazilian native speakers and understanding leave a gap vs don’t fill it all the way. What you mentioned makes perfect sense.

Specific=gap
Vague=don’t fill it all the way

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I will repeat a statement I saw on TV around 10 days ago by a clearly prescient woman of great character. It's not enough to claim you are not racist, you have to be anti-racist. Supporting Trump is not anti-racist. Therefore if you support Trump you are effectively a racist. Yes, even though you are supporting the man who said he'd "done more for the black man than any other president in history with the possible exception of Abraham Lincoln." That is incredibly preposterous. Anyone who supports this man's bid for reelection is not anti-racism.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
But you can be too dumb to see.
The majority of Trumpers are dumb, they never grew up past pre-teen.
They really believe might makes right, they truly believe the Presidents is right because he looks big and tough and he yells at people. Sort of like how we look at our fathers when we were around 6. Dad is big, so dad is right.

A moron with a suicide west is still a moron with a suicide west. He may not understand he is about to die too, non the less in the real world that is whats about to happen.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
I'm not a nazi and I really disapprove of the whole "murdering millions of jews after using them for slave labor and stealing all of their worldly possessions" thing, but have you seen what this Hitler guy has done for domestic manufacturing?!

Edited: beaten to the punch

You know we’ve seen a lot of the 1 + 1 = 3 thing from politicians but I think we are seeing something different now from their supporters.

More like you libs are saying 2 is bad but I’m not a 2 I’m a “1 + 1” and as it’s plainly obvious a “2” is single number different from a “1”. Plus I have three symbols where as the bad “2” only is one symbol.

So it’s only in your dumb obsessed fake liberal “math” (like that’s not something snowflakes made up) that 1 + 1 and 2 are equal.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Undecided from the view that if you aren't racist and support Trump for reasons other than his racist bent you are still enabling his racist behavior thus the notion that guilt by association applies.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
This interests me....
This part is far off topic forgive my indulgence

Yesterday I noticed the Brazilian native speakers had trouble understanding “don’t fill the ice coffee to the top, I want to add soy milk at home” (calm down everyone this is my wife’s coffee) the girl who spoke great English said “ah leave a gap”. That was the first time the coffee was filled perfectly in months.
This morning with a different Brazilian native speaker I remembered to say “leave a gap” she totally understood and this coffee was perfect too.
I was thinking what is it about Brazilian native speakers and understanding leave a gap vs don’t fill it all the way. What you mentioned makes perfect sense.

Specific=gap
Vague=don’t fill it all the way

I found the training very interesting. Here's a wiki link about it

In my opinion, after the training, I felt high context cultures to be more intelligent in some way. Like low context cultures are just loud and proud and not necessarily for a good reason.

I'm not saying that's accurate, just the way it felt.

I always liked sociology classes, and psych classes, just didn't go that route professionally, but enjoy learning about others and in turn myself.

Maybe moonbeam can come correct my ego in this post, feels like a "me" post lol

But, yea....your situation isn't uncommon. my xp is people say "room for cream" or just "leave room". maybe I should say "mind the gap" next time :p

Last edited:

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
Racism is entrenched in our society. One of the downsides of a melting pot, is that it’s a melting pot. Most people are nationalistic. They identify where they are from more than where they are. Assimilation means leaving that behind. This conversation reminds me of my youth. I do not think, nor were my parents actions racists, as we had friends, acquaintances and family of all colors and all nationalities, but they used very racist language because it’s how we differentiate each other. My aunt was Irish, so she was referred to as cheap or frugal. Our Italian family or friends were referred to as “whops” or “ginnies.” It did not mean they loved or cared for them less, they used it as an identifier for them or a “term of endearment.” If you do not have the intelligence and ability to ask questions as to why they talk that way, you can never grow. We have all been exposed to it in various ways. Yes, it is taught, but it is also a reflection of intelligence. I questioned everything. Drove my patents nuts. But I was hungry to understand. This helped me over come that and realize that all of these terms are derogatory and hurtful. Race is only part of it, but it is even the variances within race. Every culture has them.

There are the terms that different socioeconomic groups use to identify the other. This is in every language I have learned over the years. Class identification is part of this culture. When you come to this “melting pot” you bring this baggage. The future generations need to break from that, as they could have grown up in one socioeconomic class but then get to another, which is one of the overriding themes of this nation. We forget those are ingrained and sometimes come out when we least expect it.

Support of this administration is an example of people taking advantage of those who have less skills or are less prepared for the complexities of the future. I wish I learned more languages, but my patents felt English was the only one I needed and always questioned why I took or wanted to learn any others. By supporting the diatribes that placate your fears, you make decisions that expose other shortcomings. You can be racist for supporting this administration, but it may be subconsciously done.

I say this because when the Olympics come around we all root for our home nation at times or when the World Cup is here, we do the same. This holds true for professional sports, as the teams we grew up supporting, many keep until death no matter where they live.

Just my thoughts. Sorry for the long post, as it hard to say these complex themes in simple sentences, at least for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nereus77

himkhan

Jul 13, 2013
No. Racists come in all sizes. They support Trump because they hate anyone that is not like them getting ahead. They need someone to blame. Who said if you can convince the lowliest Trump supporter he is better than Obama?

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
lol 50% of the country is racist... including black people against their own kind! Whoduhthunkit? Including plenty of people of hispanic origins that voted in favor of tighter immigration because they are generally pissed that they waited in line instead of skipping to the front illegally.

This forum is just filled with tons of bright people. You guys get a GOLD STAR on your forehead for being such bright people.

Please do tell us how Black people are racist by voting for him - and why Hispanics that vote for him are racist.

This gonna be gud'
Racism has nothing to do with skin color.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Not really any room to debate the republican position on race anymore, they've made it abundantly clear these last almost 4 years. A vote for a racist agenda is a vote for racism, pretty straight forward really.

Reactions: Pohemi

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
If you support tRump, your issues go far beyond just old fashion racism.

Topping the list is raging stupidity, then in no particular order, misogynist, ignorance, sore knuckles (from trying to walk upright), self-hatred, confusion, stupidity, worshiping false gods, mental illness, self-deprecation, misanthropist, xenophobia, cognitive dissonance {fear of the truth), did I say fucking stupid, and all around fucking asshole that should apologize to the oxygen producing trees for the oxygen the waste.

Nov 29, 2006
I found the training very interesting. Here's a wiki link about it

In my opinion, after the training, I felt high context cultures to be more intelligent in some way. Like low context cultures are just loud and proud and not necessarily for a good reason.

I'm not saying that's accurate, just the way it felt.

I always liked sociology classes, and psych classes, just didn't go that route professionally, but enjoy learning about others and in turn myself.

Maybe moonbeam can come correct my ego in this post, feels like a "me" post lol

But, yea....your situation isn't uncommon. my xp is people say "room for cream" or just "leave room". maybe I should say "mind the gap" next time :p

This is just because you hate yourself....

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Rooty-toot-toot people. This isn't a racist dog whistle, it's a trombone at the head of a whole brass band-

That is his roots, learned at his pappy's knee as they kept the K****s and n****s out of their neighborhoods and properties.

Damn I feel for minorities right now. Being isolated at home since March, I haven't talked to any that I usually had a beer with every week.

Last edited:

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
lol 50% of the country is racist... including black people against their own kind! Whoduhthunkit? Including plenty of people of hispanic origins that voted in favor of tighter immigration because they are generally pissed that they waited in line instead of skipping to the front illegally.

This forum is just filled with tons of bright people. You guys get a GOLD STAR on your forehead for being such bright people.

Please do tell us how Black people are racist by voting for him - and why Hispanics that vote for him are racist.

This gonna be gud'
No it is your convoluted thinking that is good!
The answer is very simple!
There are very sucessful Hispanic people and colored people who desire to keep people of their own race down and do not want them to be treated as equals!1 You can be Black, Brown, Green or Purple and be a racist!
It is people like you who think because you know a Black person and say "Hello" to them everyday that you can`t possibly be racist!

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
I dunno if I'm 100% convinced but I am 100% convinced they are people who just hate others and Trump is a weapon to inflict maximum damage on others.

DisarmedDespot

Jun 2, 2016
if you vote biden you are a pedophile
This is so much bait there's not even a hook, but hey I'll run with it.
kYEIuYC.jpg