*POLL* Are CEO's overpaid??

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Do you think COE's of major corporations are overpaid, assuming we include benefits as well as salary. I think they are. I cant see 1 person being that important to a company. I mean, if you took 2 identical companies in all regards, and made the CEO of one company a experienced COE and the CEO of the other company a fresh college grad, would one company fail while the other succeeded based solely on the performance of the CEO's?

Whitecloak

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001
I do not think they are overpaid. CEOs are supposed to drive a company in terms of it strategy and long-term vision.

DrNoobie

Banned
Mar 3, 2004
No. They are the vision behind the company, and without them it would be where it is. Alot of people think CEOs have it easy, but for most the job is their life. They can easily put in 20 hour days.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Is any category of worker ever overpaid in a capitalist system?

They are paid what the market says they're worth.

There are bad ones paid too much and good ones not paid enough.

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Yes, they are the vision behind the company, but itsnt that road map planned by many others. Keep in mind we're talking large corporations. The CEO in and of himself (Or herself) isnt blindly just saying LETS DO THIS! They take the information given from research studies etc, and talk it over with members of the board to plan a course of action thats best for the company. But, i cant see 1 person being THAT important. I dont see them, the CEO itself, as the make or break of the company.

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
the ones who are performing aren't overpaid. the ones managing a company to destruction are (eg darl mcbride).

ReiAyanami

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2002
is the average american CEO worth 400x their average worker when a CEO in japan makes 12x their average worker?

think averages. is the rich man you're working for better off today than he was 4 years ago?

the board of directors "i'll scratch your back, you scratch mine" CEO relationship is a joke. there was an excellent Dilbert strip about this last month

it should be illegal to give yourself a bonus when you layoff thousands of workers. it should be illegal to give yourself a bonus when your company is bleeding money. (etrade loses $240 million in a single year and CEO collects $80 million for that year, but he was nice enuff to give $1.6 million back)