[Poll] 235 mpg car -- would you drive this vehicle?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Throckmorton
I don't really understand the obsession with "safety" that requires a large vehicle. Most of my driving is in traffic, and I've never been hit by somebody. If there's a sufficient lack of traffic to go 70mph on the highway, the concern I have is being hit by somebody. I don't feel any safer or more powerful in my Jeep than I did with a 240sx. That's a really bizarre way of thinking.
I'm 30 and have been in 8 car accidents of varying significance (most were quite minor indeed), so safety is a concern and it's a physically impossible-to-deny fact that if I'm in a 3800 lb minivan and you're in a sub 2000 lb "car", the odds are stacked against you. Can you imagine some little thing like this being rear-ended at 40 mph by somebody in an F250? Forget about it.
i am interested in being able to purchase a diesel-powered hybrid , i would love to have that option here in the USA
VW has one on its way I believe, but diesel is quite costly right now and its savings over gas are greatly beaten up by its high cost at the pump, so it's no panacea at all.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: bamacre
What would help is if businesses would allow more and more employees to work out of their home. Perhaps even if they had tax incentives to do this.

I am self-employed, work out of my home, and have only put 20K miles on my car in its three-year life. I don't even "fill up," when I get gas, I only put in a half tank's worth. On top of that, it gets about 32 miles/gallon.

Work from home and 4 x 10 hour days would help. :thumbsup:

GroundedSailor

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: KMFJD
Originally posted by: Robor
Do NOT buy a Volkswagon. Ever. They are very unreliable and when (not if) they break they are very expensive to fix.

Rear view mirror w/ rain sensor? $500+
A/C Compressor? $500+
Plastic pop-out cup holder? $300+
Cooling fan? $500+
Water pump? $300+

I'm not going to go into all of the problems I've had but take it from a current VW owner - don't do it.

Sucks that you got a lemon, both of my VW's have been rock solid....

I can echo Robor's sentiment. I drive a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Till recently my wife drove a 1994 MB C-220 (she just bought a new car) and my son has a 2001 VW Beetle. Both my wife & my cars are high mileage and the VW is mainly used by my son to come home (infrequently) from college - about 2 hours away. No prizes for guessing which car has the highest maintenance costs. Something is always breaking down in the VW - its been towed a few times to the garage. Interior plastic parts, parcel shelf, dashboard & gauges, security system, cat converter (twice), motor mounts, radiator mount (would you believe it's plastic!) - the list goes on. What a POS.

At home we joke about VW's advertising. It should be 'Mechanics wanted'.

Never again. :disgust:

Edit:
If you're interested here's the current mileages on the cars:
Jeep 171,000
MB 149,000
VW 67,000

Where's the poll option for: "Hell No! Not in a VW!"

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Debating the quality of VW (crap) is like debating the attractiveness of jessica biel (hot). For several years now, VW quality has been substandard. It is not anecdotal; from jd power to consumer reports, the reliability of the cars has been proven as egregious. They have a high liklihood of critical breakdowns, high repair costs, etc. they are just terrible cars to own. Yes, we all have an uncle who bought one four years ago and has 38 million miles on it and doesn't change the oil, but taken as a proper statistical pool, they are crap. My wife's wanted an Audi for a while and the crap build quality is a significant reason in our not having bought one. Last I heard, VW has gotten a bit better recently, but to me their name is sullied. If Germany was, during WWII, like VW is now, the war would have been over by Christmas of '39.