• LG G3

• Moto G 3rd Gen

• Xperia M4 Aqua

• Save yo' money, get a Lumia or some other cheap piece of crap

Results are only viewable after voting.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Considering whether to get a ~$200 device to back up my work issued iPhone6 or just buy a cheap Lumia 640 for $50 or so. I have a work-issued iPhone 6 that I can use also (albeit with the privacy considerations of a work-issued device) so I'm hoping someone can lay out the value proposition one of these options. Care about durability and ease of use over pure specs and I'm not planning to root the phone or anything. Probably not willing to pay extra for 8gb vs 32gb or xxGB unless it severely gimps the other specs. Needs to be GSM as plan to use on Cricket or ATT but may give FreedomPop a go as well. Listed in alphabetical order, open to other options as well.

1. Asus Zenphone 2 $199
2. LG G3 32GB $239
3. Moto G 3rd Gen $179 $179
4. Sony Xperia M4 Aqua $199

Last edited:

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
I am not a fan of the $200 Zenphone 2 when the $300 one (often on sale for less) is so much better.

The Xperia M4 Aqua is a Moto G level phone, it really doesn't belong on the list with former flagships. Hell I would rather have a Moto G.

So it comes down to the G3 vs the Moto X.

Personally I would prefer the X because LG's skin has a barf-in-my-mouth quality compared to the X's stockish Android. But the G3 is giving you the most hardware value in the list so that is what I picked.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
I am not a fan of the $200 Zenphone 2 when the $300 one (often on sale for less) is so much better.

The Xperia M4 Aqua is a Moto G level phone, it really doesn't belong on the list with former flagships. Hell I would rather have a Moto G.

So it comes down to the G3 vs the Moto X.

Personally I would prefer the X because LG's skin has a barf-in-my-mouth quality compared to the X's stockish Android. But the G3 is giving you the most hardware value in the list so that is what I picked.

Moto X was only in the sub $200 range when it was the Amazon deal of the day on Monday and sold out quickly, it's back up to the $299 or so level currently. Wouldn't be surprised to see it as a Black Friday deal for that price or lower, but the other phones listed may get a price cut as well for BF.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
G3, I had one and loved it, and I had no issues with LGs skin

and TBH "knock on" is one of the best things added to any phone, ever

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010

I'm kinda interested in either of those. Any reason why you'd pick they moto G over the M4?

They seem very similar to me. Just snapdragon 410 vs 615.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
G3, I had one and loved it, and I had no issues with LGs skin

and TBH "knock on" is one of the best things added to any phone, ever

I'm on a G3 right now. Love my Sony Z3 much more. The z3 has knock on as well, but doesn't have knock unlock. The G3 has trouble with me doing it quickly, but it is still a plus.

Otherwise, I hate that the G3 took away the native flashlight from the second drop down (on tmo version). I'll admit the led on the Z3 is pretty dim though.

Something I absolutely hate on the native skin is the "notification" of when the battery is full. It notifies me, the screen comes on, and then stops charging. Then once the battery level drops to like 99.9%, it charges again, then notifies me again. Very annoying when on vibrate at work.

The performance also seems to suffer against similar phones because of the higher resolution screen, and the battery life is nowhere near as good as my Z3.

Just some extra thoughts for the OP.