Poll: 10" or 12" woofer

Chrishuff1

Platinum Member
Jul 25, 2000
I listen to all types of music so which would be better, a 10 or 12? My friend is tryin to tell me a 10 will kick any 12's butt, but I doubt it. So, 10 or 12? LMK!

95SS

Golden Member
Nov 30, 2003
It depends.

Crappy 12 <<< Good 10
Crappy 10 <<<<<<< Good 12
Good 10 < Good 12

tweakmm

Lifer
May 28, 2001
Your friend is an idiot. Nothing is that simple.
Although it's my understanding that the largest, highest quality sub will have the best SQ.

Chelsey

Dec 18, 2003
Technically they're the same, except the 12" will be slightly louder due to the fact that there is an increased surface area. compare the Perfect 12.1 with the 10.1. They're exactly the same except for the loudness.

Infinity Audio

sillymofo

Banned
Aug 11, 2003
To get good base response, you need three things:

GOOD SUB
GREAT AMP
PROPER ENCLOSURE
GOOD RECORDINGS.

... it doesn't matter what equipments you have but you feed it craps, craps will come out.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
It's not nearly so simple.

What application? Car? Home theater?

Sealed or ported? What tuning frequency are you looking for? What kind of SPL's?

Are you building it or buying it pre-built?

Viper GTS

Apex

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
www.gotapex.com
Depends entirely on the driver. People who can claim one way or another without knowing the drivers are fooling themselves.

sillymofo

Banned
Aug 11, 2003
Ok, assuming everything is the same, physically speaking, the 12 will always be better since it can and will move more air.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
man, get a 15" they kick more ass.

(yes, i posted this for a reason.)

but in all actuallity. either of your choices will work.

pm me, if you want some subs, the ones in my sig are up for sale, all 4 of them are. and so is the avionixx 400.2, and the component speakers.

100$ + ship (AMAZING deal on amazing subs)

MIKE

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
Properly done 8 inch woofers are superior for quality/tight bass.....oh, if you listen to crap, sorry rap then I guess that really doesn't matter.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Originally posted by: Ronstang
Properly done 8 inch woofers are superior for quality/tight bass.....oh, if you listen to crap, sorry rap then I guess that really doesn't matter.

are you part of the ppl who believe 15" woofers can only be sloppy??

edit: cuz i believe my 12" subs are some of the tightest subs out there, and well, will kick almost every 8" sub in the ass in the SQ department (minus, the one 8 i know of for sure it cant beat which is another eD woofer)

MIKE

Apex

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
www.gotapex.com
Originally posted by: nourdmrolNMT1

MIKE

I'm guessing he is.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Originally posted by: Tetsuo
Properly done 8 inch woofers are superior for quality/tight bass.....

:beer: Someone with teh brains speaks!

:Q its the beer man, put it down. what he just say was completely FALSE.

MIKE

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: Tetsuo
Properly done 8 inch woofers are superior for quality/tight bass.....

:beer: Someone with teh brains speaks!

:Q its the beer man, put it down. what he just say was completely FALSE.

MIKE

w0rd. I still don't see how anyone is supposed to vote. This poll makes about as much sense as the ever-present Bruce Lee vs Coke.

- M4H

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: tweakmm
Your friend is an idiot. Nothing is that simple.
Although it's my understanding that the largest, highest quality sub will have the best SQ.
Wrong.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
size has NOTHING to do with sq, nor does price, eD proved that one.

it is all about techonolgy within the speakers.

MIKE

Jan 31, 2002
size has NOTHING to do with sq, nor does price, eD proved that one.

it is all about techonolgy within the speakers.

MIKE

Generally though, as size, SQ, and technology increases, so does price. But high price does not instantly imply the former three.

- M4H

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000

edit: cuz i believe my 12" subs are some of the tightest subs out there, and well, will kick almost every 8" sub in the ass in the SQ department (minus, the one 8 i know of for sure it cant beat which is another eD woofer)

MIKE
I guess you are one of those people who like playing your music for everyone else and not for yourself. The soundwave of a 15" woofer does not fully develop within the confines of a car so you are missing a porton of your music, but all the poor bastards down the street aren't.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999

MIKE
I guess you are one of those people who like playing your music for everyone else and not for yourself. The soundwave of a 15" woofer does not fully develop within the confines of a car so you are missing a porton of your music, but all the poor bastards down the street aren't.
What makes the sound wave of a 15" woofer different from that of a 12" woofer?