"Politics", Sia, autism and "fecesstorms"

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Sort of maybe related to politics? A culture subset?
Anyway.

What is this shit? I mean I hear about from time to time and some actor or whatnot will go on the record and apologize for doing some role and not let a real ie transgender do it.
I just wrote it off as weird then but now I am getting a little curious.
Who is this "Twitter mob" that has the *power* to direct viral shitstorms at unsuspecting strangers? Its almost like its gotten a life of its own.. spiraling out of control. Its a power structure I cant define.
Is it just me? Should "Sia" hire whomever the fuck he/she/? wants to create the art?

*twitter mob* --- wtf is it?

(hey, a thread not about Trump ... doh).

Title edited for the children.

Perknose
Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Looks like emotionally charged price upset by casting. Sia did herself no favors with some of her replies

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Looks like emotionally charged price upset by casting. Sia did herself no favors with some of her replies
In her defense, she did try to cast that way, and did a lot of research and was kind of as considerate as humanly possible without degrading the art ... and she still gets pounded on ... and then she flips a switch ... which I can understand!
I dont know man.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
In her defense, she did try to cast that way, and did a lot of research and was kind of as considerate as humanly possible without degrading the art ... and she still gets pounded on ... and then she flips a switch ... which I can understand!
I dont know man.

She says she put the work in, and I have no reason to believe she didn't. I'm unlikely to watch the film anyways, not because of this, tho.

People are upset by all sorts of stuff, SM is where they can easily find each other and form an attack.

Reactions: cytg111

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
#TwatsontwitterTweetingresultinamplifiedtwatstweetingbecausethewantotbepartofameetoomovementandoldpeoplelikemejustshakeourheadbecauseintheolddaysnoneofthesepeoplewouldbegiventimeifday

Reactions: ch33zw1z

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Meh...they are made because they casted normal people to play people with disabilities. I don't think it's that big a deal. Acting is acting. It's fake. All of it. When you make a movie about the life of bill murray, you don't need to necessarily cast bill murray to portray the role. Sometimes you can't get the person you want or they aren't available during the time period you are trying to get things done. Not a big deal. Again acting is all fake. It's portrayal of fiction, not reality.

Xcobra

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2004
People are so stupid these days. Covid is currently taking care of the other side of stupidity. I just wish there was something to take care of these 'self-offending' assholes who think they know what's right for the world. Dipshits... Back to my cave 🙄

Edit: I should be totally offended about Tom Hanks playing Forrest Gump.

• Haha
Reactions: cytg111

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I dont get the critical mass part... Since it is perceived to be a PR problem, public apologies get issued. So its not a small force. It has impact. I dont understand why, how? 500.000 snowflakes boycotting a movie? Is that it?
edit : So someone snitched on my title, which one of you be the offended one? ;).

Last edited:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Imagine making a movie to honor some Black person and you used a white actor to portray the hero.

But wait, why would anybody care who plays the part? Why would anybody without a racist bone in their body care? And the answer is that nobody like that exists. We are all racists, either hating other races, or conscious of the damage done by them and sensitive to the race facing such bigotry. Racism hurts and damages those who are exposed to it and those who might be considered guilty of it. Nobody wants to be exposed and found guilty of deserving of being known as a racist.. And, AND everybody who has been harmed by racism is looking to pay the favor back. Portray a disabled person in a film even one a real disabled person might not be able to play, and not be disabled yourself, and look out. All the contempt bigotry and shunning the disabled have felt, and all those who identify with victim mentality, and you have a situation ripe for retaliation. At last the disabled and their friends have a target of their own they can make feel disabled. Shame shame shame.

Be wary of those you try to help, support, or love because we all hate ourselves and will treat your love and support as a defect in your character. We can't believe we can ever be loved and are we ever ready to pay the world back for that.

All the world is a stage and we act out like machines.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Imagine making a movie to honor some Black person and you used a white actor to portray the hero.

But wait, why would anybody care who plays the part? Why would anybody without a racist bone in their body care? And the answer is that nobody like that exists. We are all racists, either hating other races, or conscious of the damage done by them and sensitive to the race facing such bigotry. Racism hurts and damages those who are exposed to it and those who might be considered guilty of it. Nobody wants to be exposed and found guilty of deserving of being known as a racist.. And, AND everybody who has been harmed by racism is looking to pay the favor back. Portray a disabled person in a film even one a real disabled person might not be able to play, and not be disabled yourself, and look out. All the contempt bigotry and shunning the disabled have felt, and all those who identify with victim mentality, and you have a situation ripe for retaliation. At last the disabled and their friends have a target of their own they can make feel disabled. Shame shame shame.

Be wary of those you try to help, support, or love because we all hate ourselves and will treat your love and support as a defect in your character. We can't believe we can ever be loved and are we ever ready to pay the world back for that.

All the world is a stage and we act out like machines.
It happens all the time. For years, black characters on TV animated shows were voiced by white actors. The shows still were a success. In fact, voice actors for pretty much every race on animated Tv shows were done by white actors. One example is the cleveland show where the entire core of main characters is mostly black but were voiced by white actors; recently this faced some scrutiny and people quit because of this reason. Same for Apu from the simpsons I believe (amongst other people of color on that show), which again only of recent faced scrutiny. However for decades, no one however ever knew or cared. There's even movies about black people battling against racism where strangely the movie is about white people stepping in and being the heroes in the battle against racism (for example green book which won an oscar! lol)

I'm not saying I prefer this situation, but what I care about is jobs equity and blocking discrimination. However at the end of the day casting is a hiring process just like any other. People apply within a certain time period, they pick the best option based on what is available and based on time constraints, and then they run with it. They aren't going to fire a cleveland show voice actor or simpsons voice actor after 1 year just to replace him with someone black if he's already doing a good job. It's one thing if there is evidence of discrimination with how candidates were being selected but that isn't always the case.

I'm more interested in preventing job discrimination than complaining that a person who is only 1/8 or 1/4 black is playing a black person on TV or in a movie. Movies just don't matter to me; they aren't real. They are fake people doing fake things on TV. I care about the real world. The world would probably be a better place if we had zero movies honestly.

There's also the flip side; what if they used a disabled person and the movie was worse. People would complain "your bad movie makes disabled people look bad" and boycott it then for portraying people with disabilities in a poor light.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
It happens all the time.
I have no problem with your post except to say “it happened all the time” and something has changed. The gang up power given to the old time voiceless is a new reality of social media. My intent is to tell you the psychological mechanisms, the machine program that drives the rage against the world phenomena we see today with political correctness or as I see it as my opinion.

I too like would like to see a world without discrimination in hiring but it is just a subset of the many grievances that can also fall victim to political correctness. Social media allows birds of a feather to form a murder of crows, to open a new path for phony self importance and all because we carry within us a sense of worthlessness from having been put down as children.

This is a tragedy because we bought into what we’re lies. The world needs to know that, that the enemy is within, not out there.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
One of my new hobbies is responding to people who claim "lots of people" are complaining something is to ask "who exactly"
I dont get the critical mass part... Since it is perceived to be a PR problem, public apologies get issued. So its not a small force. It has impact. I dont understand why, how? 500.000 snowflakes boycotting a movie? Is that it?
edit : So someone snitched on my title, which one of you be the offended one? ;).

My guess is that 1 person, tweeted.
Their followers who were probably in the middle of a poop and due to the universal rule of toilets clicked retwat, like, heart emoji or whatever 1 step action that requires zero effort or thought. Standard percentage of that populations also typed a supportive message because "If I say it too, it will seem to my followers that I was part of this whole new movement as well instead of the reality of me being bored on the toilet. Also I have had zero thought or fucks on the matter prior to seeing the amount of likes that this other person got talking about it. I want to get liked too so I'm going to post this and see if it gets me the same amount of attention.
Shit flows down so now the followers followers are all repeating the process

So far we have shitters and idea hijackers and attention whores at this stage.

Next up comes the "we should all get together and boycott this thing that we never knew about and were never going to see anyway!!!!"
Everyone likes a boycott a baddie movement so now you have the original batch and a new batch that want to appear to be taking a stand and the process repeats.

There is a science behind the internet pooping effect but I think that deserves its own thread