Politics Folks, Need Some Speech Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caveman

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 1999
Idea is to start off speech by reading headlines or things famous people have said to prove the point that humans judge by what they think the answer is, not by the truth.

For example: "we must stop the virus at all costs". Most folks would immendiately think of swine flu, etc... Actually, it's Bill Gates...

Another example... Right wing talks show host expounds about higher taxes, etc...

Left wing job talks about strong national defense, etc...

Any ideas?

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
I would pick some really famous people and then search through their quotes and find one that way.

Example
Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.
How many would guess that is a Reagan quote.
I am in support of the NRA position on gun control.
Clinton, surprised?
If Saddam rejects peace and we have to use force, our purpose is clear.
Clinton again, but read that quote and ask the group who said it and see how many answer Bush.
It is an unfortunate fact that we can secure peace only by preparing for war.
JFK

Good enough?

Caveman

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 1999
Hey thanks... These are exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for...

Ideally, I'd like to have a few from sectors outside politics too... You're on a roll...

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
"I'll eat your babies"

You would think that would be Dahmer, when in fact its a well known boxer... Mike Tyson!

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
Gandhi had a lot of quotes praising Hitler because of his strong support of nationalist movements. They are always pretty fun.

I remember there used to be a site that had quotes that seemed "out of character" from famous people. I really don't remember it but wish I did. It was where I read all the Gandhi quotes.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
If we're an arrogant nation, they'll resent us; if we're a humble nation, but strong, they'll welcome us. And our nation stands alone right now in the world in terms of power, and that's why we've got to be humble...

I'm worried about over committing our military around the world. I want to be judicious in its use. You mentioned Haiti. I wouldn't have sent troops to Haiti. I didn't think it was a mission worthwhile. It was a nation building mission. And it was not very successful. It cost us a couple billions of dollars and I'm not sure democracy is any better off in Haiti than it was before.

I'm not so sure the role of the United States is to go around the world and say this is the way it's got to be... I just don't think it's the role of the United States to walk into a country and say, we do it this way, so should you.

"Victory means exit strategy, and it's important for the President to explain to us what the exit strategy is."

All of the above are George W. Bush.

"If we are going to commit American troops, we must be certain they have a clear mission, an achievable goal and an exit strategy." --Karen Hughes, speaking on behalf of George W Bush

"[The] President . . . is once again releasing American military might on a foreign country with an ill-defined objective and no exit strategy. He has yet to tell the Congress how much this operation will cost. And he has not informed our nation's armed forces about how long they will be away from home. These strikes do not make for a sound foreign policy." --Sen. Rick Santorum (R-PA)

"I cannot support a failed foreign policy. History teaches us that it is often easier to make war than peace. This administration is just learning that lesson right now. The President began this mission with very vague objectives and lots of unanswered questions. A month later, these questions are still unanswered. There are no clarified rules of engagement. There is no timetable. There is no legitimate definition of victory. There is no contingency plan for mission creep. There is no clear funding program. There is no agenda to bolster our over-extended military. There is no explanation defining what vital national interests are at stake. There was no strategic plan for war when the President started this thing, and there still is no plan today" --Rep Tom Delay (R-TX)

whylaff

Oct 31, 2007
Sometimes I have succeeded and sometimes I have failed, but always I have taken heart from what Theodore Roosevelt once said about the man in the arena, "whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes short again and again because there is not effort without error and shortcoming, but who does actually strive to do the deed, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumphs of high achievements and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly."

Nixon's resignation speech

Status
Not open for further replies.