Political Speeches, Crappy Debates and RP Lovers

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Inspired by a couple of things:

1. Crappy, mole infested, sound-bite type debates shunning half the candidtaes and polluted with irrelevant or stupid questions.

2. The feature of last night's debate where every candidate had an opportunity to present their own political commercial. Everyone was treated fairly, each had just one, all of the same length.

3. Posts with supposedly fantastic speech by RP.

How about each candidate get to air his/her best speech(es)/ They can be edited to include what they consider their best most powerful policy speeches, if necessary. Enough time can be had to develop/explain positions and solutions to more complicated issues. They get to choose what they wanna address and how they address it.

Could just be a time limit all must adhere to. Whether 15, 20 or 30 minutes.

Could be on TV, or could be made available on the web.

I'd like to hear what they had to say without interruption, without prodding, without a 30 second limit.

How about you?

Fern

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
I would love it if each candidate made maybe a 3-10 minute video on his/her platform. After I found myself loving Ron Paul so much, I decided to try to find dirt on him.. and I could not.

However, I easily found dirt on everyone else except for Mike Gravel and Dennis Kucinich.

After that debate last night, I changed my stance from Giulliani as my most-hated candidate to Mitt Romney.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: hellod9
What you are asking for already exists.

Open your eyes.

Nah, I'm not running around You Tube hunting up crappily recorded webcam speeches.

I want the CANDIDATES themselves to put forth what THEY think is their best. That'll tell me more about them and their thinking.

Fern

NaughtyGeek

Golden Member
May 3, 2005
I like that idea Fern. It would definitely say a lot about the candidate to see what hey feel is their best "work." Somehow I think you'd end up with a whole lot of material with very little substance however. The debates drive me nuts because of the politicians skill at twisting a question into a platform talking point which generally has nothing to do with the original question. Fred Thompson's diatribe on social security last night was a fine example.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It's not a bad idea... since the candidates aren't going to answer the questions put to them in the debate anyway, you might as well hear their speech without all the pretense.

hellod9

Sep 16, 2007
Originally posted by: Fern
Originally posted by: hellod9
What you are asking for already exists.

Open your eyes.

Nah, I'm not running around You Tube hunting up crappily recorded webcam speeches.

I want the CANDIDATES themselves to put forth what THEY think is their best. That'll tell me more about them and their thinking.

Fern

Out of all of the website available on the internet, why would you limit yourself to youtube?

Open your eyes.

The candidates are already presenting their messages on the internet, in exactly the way they want you to see it.

Speeches, articles, policy reports...its all right there, in plain sight, for you to view at your leisure.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Obviously none of you listened to Rush Limbaugh today. And every once in a while, when I am feeling self masochistic, I do listen to Rush. And I did listen to Rush today.

And his talking point is that this Republican debate is a magnificent example of principled Republican tackling the tough issues of today unlike phony democrats.

Don't open your eyes, open your ears, Rush says it best.

And even though Rush never gives political endorsements, Fred Thompson is the only genuine Mr. Conservative of 2008. The only candidate in 08 who remains untainted by a single liberal thought.

So end of thread, now we all have the definitive answer to all the doubts that may have ever plagued us.

The EIB net work stands for Extra Idiotic Bullshit.