Political Junkie Tips for Surviving Election Day

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
1. Ignore exit polls, whether they show things you like or dislike. They are notoriously unreliable, especially the day of the election.

2. Ignore any comments or claims coming from either side's campaigns.

3. Ignore Drudge Report -- a noxious combination of misinformation and disinformation. Same for other highly-partisan "news" sources that love to spread rumors.

4. Pay attention to key swing state returns, starting at 7pm. This chart is helpful for knowing which states close when.

5. Do not pay attention to running totals of the "popular vote". First, it doesn't matter -- the electoral college determines the outcome. Second, the west coast is very blue, and their results won't be available until quite late. Third, the final totals won't be known for days or even weeks after election day. Fourth, it doesn't matter.

6. When watching returns from a single state, bear in mind that urban areas usually report later than rural ones. This can cause a state to appear to be going much more Republican than polls indicated early in the evening, only to correct later on.

7. Swing state returns tend to be correlated. If one candidate or the other is doing well in one close state, he or she will probably do well in others (though not always).

8. Be wary of comparisons to previous elections. Each one is different, and direct comparisons between years is usually mostly pointless.

9. Don't be surprised if some states are very close and the networks are unwilling to call them until a lot of results are in. The networks are still gun-shy from 2000.

10. If the anticipation is driving you nuts, go do something else Tuesday night. :)

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
I think I'll go to bed at 7 PM and read the results when I wake up.

no I won't:D

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
There is a lot to be said for the advice of our OP. But I think I can better sum it up with the two little words of barf Bags.

But then again Moving target's two magic words of drink liberally work too.

But moving target is a wimp in his fear of going to work on Wednesday. Short range thinking at best. Truth be told, might as well stay drunk for the next four years because November 7, 2012 will be the start for the 11/2016 elections.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
Everyone should expect a strong Obama showing early on, then later after Republicans get off work they should begin to even out.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
There is a lot to be said for the advice of our OP. But I think I can better sum it up with the two little words of barf Bags.

But then again Moving target's two magic words of drink liberally work too.

But moving target is a wimp in his fear of going to work on Wednesday. Short range thinking at best. Truth be told, might as well stay drunk for the next four years because November 7, 2012 will be the start for the 11/2016 elections.
You got me. I teach though, so I can't drink as liberally as I did in my college days. If Romney wins, I may just take my own advice on Wednesday.
Vote liberally, then drink liberally. :biggrin:

Great advice! :beer: :thumbsup:

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Even as a diehard political junkie, I reached my limit over the weekend. Watching those huge lines (of mostly black and hispanic people) waiting eight hours to "early" vote in Florida, watching the election offices close the early voting places mid-day and start to tow cars when the voters refused to leave, made me reach my limit of disgust and anger.

My two-bits for the list:

1) Rent a movie, preferably something totally distracting. That's what I did last night.

2) Leave the TV and radio off today until at least the first poll closes.

3) A very successful method for me pre-election day-focus on watching CSPAN and only the source material there (speeches and debates).

4) Go out and volunteer today to drive people to the polls, etc. if there is any way possible you can. If not, call up/visit at least one associate/relative you know who probably won't vote-take them out to lunch, etc. and constantly harass them until you get them to the polls. My wife and I are each one for one today so far doing this.