Political direct mail...

Discussion in 'Politics and News' started by Meractik, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Meractik

Meractik Golden Member

So I live in California and I am registered with a political party and I can't believe how much direct mail in relation to candidates I keep getting on a daily basis, is there a way to stop this once and for all?

Edit: before some smart-ass comes in to post wait until after Nov 6th, I am asking the question to see if there is something I can do for future years and elections to ensure that I do not continue to get tons of pamphlets and poster boards for candidates in the mail..

#1 Meractik, Nov 3, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  2. Moonbeam

Moonbeam Elite Member

Think of your Red State rural brothers who depend on universal same price first and other class mail. If the Postal Service goes belly up they will suffer more than folk in high population places. Take the mail and recycle it and stop feeling like a victim. It doesn't take a huge pair to deal with the mail.

3. Meractik

Meractik Golden Member

Its the principal that im getting the mail when I did not opt-in or ask to receive it. It would be one thing if when filling out a voter registration card that I said sure send me direct mail, but I did not.

4. Londo_Jowo

Londo_Jowo Lifer

Actually this could be a saving grace for the USPS. That is if they charged full price for the mailing instead of bulk rates.

5. Moonbeam

Moonbeam Elite Member

Man up, you can handle it. Think more of others. It's not like you're the only person this happens to. Just imagine if you lived with a paranoid who had to have all the names from the mail removed and destroyed before it got thrown away, and you had to do it. I'll play you a concerto on my words smallest violin when that happens to you.

6. monovillage

monovillage Diamond Member

There's nothing you can do about it as far as I know since it's a free political speech issue. They have a perfect right to send you information, you have a perfect right to recycle it, trash it or use it as kindling. Too bad it's not printed on something that's softer and more absorbent.

7. a777pilot

a777pilot Diamond Member

If there is an envelope included in the political mail, tear up their ad and mail it back at their expense. They will finally get the message.

8. hal2kilo

hal2kilo Diamond Member

I guess tha'ts why all the crap comes on giant glossy postcards these days.

9. Dulanic

Dulanic Diamond Member

I got 5 of those today! 3 right attack ads, 1 left attack ad, and 1 left pro candidate ad (Joe Kennedy).

It's sad for both sides how it's all attacks now.

#9 Dulanic, Nov 3, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  10. DaveSimmons

DaveSimmons Elite Member

I'm a registered voter, but here in WA we don't need to declare a party affiliation. I still get piles of these too, though less this year than last.

Unfortunately political spam is protected speech, so do not call and no catalogs lists don't apply. Polspam is unstoppable. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead.

11. jackschmittusa

jackschmittusa Diamond Member

I'm a registered independent and I have gotten loads of this crap too. I have never heard of a place around where I live that recycles this junk. They don't even want it with the newspapers I recycle. Waste of trees.