Polish Troops find French Missles made in 2003 inside Iraq!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: charrison
Originally posted by: SuperTool
Originally posted by: Queasy
Link

Helps explain why the French didn't want us there in the first place.

Sanctions were lifted in 2003.

late 2003.....

And...? Are you saying Iraq waited till 2003 to buy anti-aircraft missiles from France, and never bothered using them?

You are telling me that Iraq would not have ordered supplies with the US sitting outside of its borders?

Yeah, they would order missiles urgently in 2003, only to not deploy them and leave them in stockpiles. That makes sense.

Well can you tell for sure that these type of missles were not used?
There was plenty of AA weapons used during war.

Or maybe these just did not get used?

Can you tell me for sure that these weapons were actually found, and are not just Poles making things up to suck up to the US?

While that is an interesting and possible, i would also mark it as doubtfull. I say this because this is not the first time french weapons were found in iraq.

Yeah, but that doesn't mean they were sent there with France's government's blessing. You can buy a lot of things on the black market.

I am not claiming the french goverment did so. However, it does appear that french goverment might have been negligent in who they sold such weapons too.

It's don't ask don't tell when it comes to weapons sales. We are the ones who sent stingers to terrorists in the 80's.

Actually no it is not. Weapons exports is often hightly controlled.

We did not sell/give stingers to terrorists in the 80s. We gave them to the afgan rebels to help run the soviets out of the country.
At the time, there people were not terrorist. Later some did become terrorist.

In our eyes only but go talk to the Russian soldiers who had their buddies blown up in car bombings or sucide attacks over there.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Drift3r
Link

late 2003.....

And...? Are you saying Iraq waited till 2003 to buy anti-aircraft missiles from France, and never bothered using them?

You are telling me that Iraq would not have ordered supplies with the US sitting outside of its borders?

Yeah, they would order missiles urgently in 2003, only to not deploy them and leave them in stockpiles. That makes sense.

Can you tell me for sure that these weapons were actually found, and are not just Poles making things up to suck up to the US?

While that is an interesting and possible, i would also mark it as doubtfull. I say this because this is not the first time french weapons were found in iraq.

Yeah, but that doesn't mean they were sent there with France's government's blessing. You can buy a lot of things on the black market.

I am not claiming the french goverment did so. However, it does appear that french goverment might have been negligent in who they sold such weapons too.

It's don't ask don't tell when it comes to weapons sales. We are the ones who sent stingers to terrorists in the 80's.

We did not sell/give stingers to terrorists in the 80s. We gave them to the afgan rebels to help run the soviets out of the country.

In our eyes only but go talk to the Russian soldiers who had their buddies blown up in car bombings or sucide attacks over there.

IF they were attacking legitimate military targets, I am not sure you can label them terrorist. The Mujahadeen*sp* would have had no reason
to attack civilian targets.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
IF they were attacking legitimate military targets, I am not sure you can label them terrorist. The Mujahadeen*sp* would have had no reason
So the guys who attacked the Cole and the Pentagon weren't terrorists? It's not quite that black and white.

(Note to all involved - this is how you trim a quote. Please -- for the love of God, the bandwidth of Anandtech, and the eyesight of the rest of us -- learn to do this. This was a Public Service Announcement.)

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: Drift3r
Link

late 2003.....

So the guys blowing up US troops in Iraq are Mujahadeen?

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Shad0hawK
So the guys blowing up US troops in Iraq are Mujahadeen?

They are mainly going after military targets, so I really cant call them terrorist.

perhaps that is because there is not very many american civilians in iraq right now?

There are far more civilians in iraq than you think....

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Shad0hawK

There are far more civilians in iraq than you think....

how many american civilians would that be?

Billions of dollars being spent on reconstruction by US contractors.....

guigui27

Oct 4, 2003
Link

LOL
what you should know before posting is that france stopped producing Roland-2 in 88 and Roland-3 in 93
Explain how ones produced in 2003 were found in irak
Were pictures taken ? No ? lol

minibush1

Sep 14, 2003
UPDATE
Poland Apologizes for French Missiles Report
"Defense Minister Jerzy Szmajdzinski expresses regret concerning the information on the alleged date of the production of these missiles," the ministry said in a statement, adding that a investigation had been ordered.

Ministry spokesman Eugeniusz Mleczak told Reuters the missiles were manufactured in 2003, but the French Foreign Ministry promptly denied that, saying production of the most modern Roland 3 rocket ended in 1993.

"There could not be any 2003 missiles because those missiles have not been manufactured for 15 years," Chirac told a news conference at a European Union summit in Rome

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
Originally posted by: minibush1
UPDATE
Poland Apologizes for French Missiles Report
"Defense Minister Jerzy Szmajdzinski expresses regret concerning the information on the alleged date of the production of these missiles," the ministry said in a statement, adding that a investigation had been ordered.

Ministry spokesman Eugeniusz Mleczak told Reuters the missiles were manufactured in 2003, but the French Foreign Ministry promptly denied that, saying production of the most modern Roland 3 rocket ended in 1993.

"There could not be any 2003 missiles because those missiles have not been manufactured for 15 years," Chirac told a news conference at a European Union summit in Rome

classic :D

instead of whining about missiles that were not produced for 10 years, the YABA should better question Bush about the WMD

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
The Propaganda War...

The accusation creates a firestorm... the apology and correction usually goes unnoticed by most.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
initial reports wrong

WARSAW, Poland (AP) -- After a protest from French President Jacques Chirac, Poland said Saturday it had been mistaken in reporting that its troops found new French-made anti-aircraft misiles in central Iraq.

Chirac swiftly denied selling Iraq weapons in violation of the U.N. weapons embargo against Saddam Hussein's regime. The claims, he said, ``are as false today as they were yesterday.''

An aide to the Polish prime minister said an initial report that the Roland missiles found by Polish troops days ago were produced in 2003 was incorrect. France said it stopped producing any type of Roland missile in 1993.

NesuD

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: BOBDN
Someone should tell Queasy he needs to edit the title of this post.

rolleye.gif

Pot calling the kettle black syndrome raises it's ugly BOBDNC head once again.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Originally posted by: NesuD

rolleye.gif

Useless name calling rises it's NesuD head again.
rolleye.gif

Why shouldn't the thread title be changed if the reports were wrong? Is it an unreasonable request, or is it just because it's from someone you don't agree with?

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Insane3D
Originally posted by: NesuD
rolleye.gif

Useless name calling rises it's NesuD head again.
rolleye.gif

Why shouldn't the thread title be changed if the reports were wrong? Is it an unreasonable request, or is it just because it's from someone you don't agree with?
because the conservatives were screaming about the title "no wmd found" title