Polish mall rampage by knife weilding man kills 1 wounds 9

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
This is what you are referring to. Now the reason for the 3 European countries being so high is the low population of each individual country. Were you to expand it to "Europe" as a whole it wouldn't be close. That being said the top 3 countries per capita had 4 incidents combined. The US had 133.
NA-CH404_SHOOTR_9U_20151004180908.jpg
If this is what Zaap was referring to...wow...bend the truth much? Did I miss a /s in his post somewhere?
It's not even close. 133 mass shootings!! 133!! Jeez. You guys/gals can keep your rights lol, we don't want em over here across the border.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
If this is what Zaap was referring to...wow...bend the truth much? Did I miss a /s in his post somewhere?
It's not even close. 133 mass shootings!! 133!! Jeez. You guys/gals can keep your rights lol, we don't want em over here across the border.

Nope Zaap was completely serious....

That is the scary part

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
This is what you are referring to. Now the reason for the 3 European countries being so high is the low population of each individual country. Were you to expand it to "Europe" as a whole it wouldn't be close. That being said the top 3 countries per capita had 4 incidents combined. The US had 133.
NA-CH404_SHOOTR_9U_20151004180908.jpg

So Brevik on his own, put Norway way out at the top of that table? It does, as you say, just show how stats for a small population country can change dramatically based on just one incident.

Also Zaap's post is a good example of how sneaky pro-gunners are with their 'arguments'. Lovely use of '...in Europe' to imply he's referring to Europe as a whole, when actually it's just a couple of low-population countries within the continent. (Also, isn't Switzerland often cited by pro-gun people for the exact opposite reason? As a country where many people have guns and don't shoot each other in significant numbers?)

EduCat

Feb 28, 2012
I gave you a reasonable response, you've added nothing since. Carry on, doing what you're doing is exactly why the next two or three SC justices are likely to be pro-2A.

show us the same chart of smoking and auto accidents across those countries. You are wholly inventing a prejudice that flat out does not exist, with no data whatsoever to support your nonsense assumptions.

This claim you are making is profoundly dishonest, and is, in fact, all about your feels more than it is about rational data.

You're such a dumbshit and of course you can't possibly see what the rest of us can see.

SlowSpyder has already admitted his love for guns was created out of fear because he was attacked. He's just scarred for life, that's all.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
show us the same chart of smoking and auto accidents across those countries. You are wholly inventing a prejudice that flat out does not exist, with no data whatsoever to support your nonsense assumptions.

This claim you are making is profoundly dishonest, and is, in fact, all about your feels more than it is about rational data.

You're such a dumbshit and of course you can't possibly see what the rest of us can see.

What numbers do you want? I don't need data to point out that the anti-2A'ers don't care one bit about saving lives, not in a whole picture sense. What you do care about is pushing your partisan agenda. Only with guns do you have such a laser focus.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

Out of curiosity, what qualifies as a "mass shooting"?

Jan 25, 2011
Out of curiosity, what qualifies as a "mass shooting"?

Most places use the FBI definition of a mass murder single event which, since 2013, has been an event where 3 or more people are killed excluding the perpetrator regardless of weapon used. So this excludes any event where less than 3 died but, let's say, 10 were injured.

If we are talking before 2013 the number was 4 people killed.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Most places use the FBI definition of a mass murder single event which, since 2013, has been an event where 3 or more people are killed excluding the perpetrator regardless of weapon used. So this excludes any event where less than 3 died but, let's say, 10 were injured.

If we are talking before 2013 the number was 4 people killed.

I understand it is very likely a universally accepted term if it is from the FBI. But, that seems a bit loose to me in definition... "mass", but whatever. But still somewhat odd to me that a bad drug deal shooting can be put in the same category as a 59 person massacre, then you have two "mass shootings". One is different than the other. I don't know that numbers alone can qualify this, but whatever, that's the label they created.

Jan 25, 2011
I understand it is very likely a universally accepted term if it is from the FBI. But, that seems a bit loose to me in definition... "mass", but whatever. But still somewhat odd to me that a bad drug deal shooting can be put in the same category as a 59 person massacre, then you have two "mass shootings". One is different than the other. I don't know that numbers alone can qualify this, but whatever, that's the label they created.
You might watch too much TV. Drug deals/other crimes resulting in mass killings are extremely rare. I am actually having difficulty finding one event in my searches.

That's not to say there are none. It's just not common. Edit: But I did find one here!

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
What numbers do you want? I don't need data to point out that the anti-2A'ers don't care one bit about saving lives, not in a whole picture sense. What you do care about is pushing your partisan agenda. Only with guns do you have such a laser focus.

lol. you do need data. because otherwise, it's just feels on your end when you can't counter the actual data that rejects your useless feels.

sorry, I don't give a shit about your feels. Show me data that contradicts the currently accepted data, then we can have a discussion. Otherwise, you're just a useless bedwetting troll.

you don't get to make up the rules for what is and what isn't.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
lol. you do need data. because otherwise, it's just feels on your end when you can't counter the actual data that rejects your useless feels.

sorry, I don't give a shit about your feels. Show me data that contradicts the currently accepted data, then we can have a discussion. Otherwise, you're just a useless bedwetting troll.

you don't get to make up the rules for what is and what isn't.

I didn't reject anything, I clearly said I understand that term is universally used and accepted being from the FBI. I personally think it is too broad, but I accept it. But again, to me a guy that walks in on his wife having a three way and kills them all is different than a 59 death massacre, but they're counted the same in this metric. It is what it is.

Jan 25, 2011
I didn't reject anything, I clearly said I understand that term is universally used and accepted being from the FBI. I personally think it is too broad, but I accept it. But again, to me a guy that walks in on his wife having a three way and kills them all is different than a 59 death massacre, but they're counted the same in this metric. It is what it is.
They actually aren't in most studies. There are removals in most statistical models that remove anything that involves other criminal activity. That includes robberies, drug deals, domestic incidents etc...

But you are really reaching at implausible scenarios to try and dismiss actual data.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
They actually aren't in most studies. There are removals in most statistical models that remove anything that involves other criminal activity. That includes robberies, drug deals, domestic incidents etc...

But you are really reaching at implausible scenarios to try and dismiss actual data.

Geeeezuskryst, I am not trying to dismiss the data! I asked what qualified as a mass shooting, I got an answer that did not include what you just said and replied to it taking it at face value. Now you're telling me something different.