Police terrorize a 10 year old black girl because she drew a picture of someone bullying her

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I can't believe it but I can. Read how they arrested that little girl. Just make me slightly angry. /s

A 10-year-old Black girl was arrested at school in Hawaii after allegedly drawing a photo of her bully, ACLU says (msn.com)
Assuming there isn't much more to the story, seriously WTF.

I wrote and drew some pretty out there stuff in highschool, good teachers liked that i thought outside the box bad ones were scared by it. Most I ever got was talked by the administration and my mom was called in once where she basically told them to eat shit. The idea of getting police involved in a dispute about a drawing is seriously fucked up.

Also, it needs ro to flat out be illegal for police to question a kid without their parents or lawyer present. Preventing a parent from reaching their kids being questioned should be a huge violation that gets someone an unpaid vacation.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Yeah the story is very light on details. I suspect the images were violent with her depicting violent retribution to her bully but again that doesn't seem cause for arrest.

maluckey1

Mar 15, 2018
Too many comments about the one-sided ACLU picture painted by the OP. I see no police or school racism here. The parents of the threatened kid might be racist (who knows), but there's no way to tell, since their kid was actually threatened, with proof to back it up.

The parents of one of the kids threatened in that drawing contacted the School and insisted that the school refer the child it to the police (ergo school not racist). If only they would have done that in Columbine....those kids were pretty vocal about what they intended, but people blew it off.

In my previous career, people that were either dangerous to themselves OR others were routinely cuffed until things could get sorted out. In some circumstances, we violently took them down, yet in others we created a ruse, and once safely away, cuffed them as gently as they (the person being cuffed) would allow. There were a few times that it wasn't an option, and sometime people got hurt.

Age isn't a factor when violence is concerned. Guns are the great equalizer. Imagine all the ways a mad, tantrum-throwing 10 year old (claims was ADD) with a gun might behave, and the answers are endless. They handled the restraint portion without tact, and hurt people feelings. Officers had no way to know is the girl had access to a gun, knife or anything else.

The police weren't wrong for arresting/cuffing the kid, just not very experienced I'd imagine, at arresting kids at a school. If the same thing happened at my place of work, the same response would have happened.

Train police on how to respond to school incidents and chalk it up to experience learned. Then get all the involved kids and parents a Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Too many comments about the one-sided ACLU picture painted by the OP. I see no police or school racism here. The parents of the threatened kid might be racist (who knows), but there's no way to tell, since their kid was actually threatened, with proof to back it up.

The parents of one of the kids threatened in that drawing contacted the School and insisted that the school refer the child it to the police (ergo school not racist). If only they would have done that in Columbine....those kids were pretty vocal about what they intended, but people blew it off.

In my previous career, people that were either dangerous to themselves OR others were routinely cuffed until things could get sorted out. In some circumstances, we violently took them down, yet in others we created a ruse, and once safely away, cuffed them as gently as they (the person being cuffed) would allow. There were a few times that it wasn't an option, and sometime people got hurt.

Age isn't a factor when violence is concerned. Guns are the great equalizer. Imagine all the ways a mad, tantrum-throwing 10 year old (claims was ADD) with a gun might behave, and the answers are endless. They handled the restraint portion without tact, and hurt people feelings. Officers had no way to know is the girl had access to a gun, knife or anything else.

The police weren't wrong for arresting/cuffing the kid, just not very experienced I'd imagine, at arresting kids at a school. If the same thing happened at my place of work, the same response would have happened.

Train police on how to respond to school incidents and chalk it up to experience learned. Then get all the involved kids and parents a Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.
Didn't know it was a crime to kinda threaten people...

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004

Nah they were wrong to cuff the child and interrogate her without her parents. Good on the ACLU for pursuing this.

Good point though on the police needing guns to put them on equal footing with a 10 year old. Pretty damning statement of them on your part.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

If you have to go to great efforts to explain how you're not racist, but can't say a single bad word about the kids who bullied the girl to begin with... yeah, well fuck off.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Nah they were wrong to cuff the child and interrogate her without her parents. Good on the ACLU for pursuing this.

Good point though on the police needing guns to put them on equal footing with a 10 year old. Pretty damning statement of them on your part.
His logic is that kids bullying kids is a-ok, it's when the bullied stand up for themselves that there's a problem. And of course, racism hasn't nothing to do with that.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Yet another example of calling in police for something they are totally unequipped to deal with, regardless of the details of the case.
No offense but you are assuming. You don't know much of anything and you rushed to judgement.

We dont have enough facts to be making declarations about anything yet. This is another fine example of the "news" getting very little info before writing the story, because it seems interesting on the surface and they know it will get page hits, which of course leads to revenue.
We need a lot more, and based on modern journalisms complete lack of follow up to stories like this, I dont know when we'll get more.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
No offense but you are assuming. You don't know much of anything and you rushed to judgement.

We dont have enough facts to be making declarations about anything yet. This is another fine example of the "news" getting very little info before writing the story, because it seems interesting on the surface and they know it will get page hits, which of course leads to revenue.
We need a lot more, and based on modern journalisms complete lack of follow up to stories like this, I dont know when we'll get more.

Was about to go nah but reading this story over again, something may be missing… cops gonna show up at a potential school-something right? Did the girl go off on the officers? Why was she cuffed? I mean it may be as it sounds, it may also be something else.
10 years old is the minimum age you can be arrested right? cuffed and the mother denied access on the scene? Even in best case for the officers its wrong.. and in the worst case heads must roll.

Reactions: Pohemi

maluckey1

Mar 15, 2018
If you have to go to great efforts to explain how you're not racist, but can't say a single bad word about the kids who bullied the girl to begin with... yeah, well fuck off.
It's obvious you have reading comprehension issues AND never bothered to read up on this more than your preconceived notions would allow. Bullying is BAD, and I stated that they bullying kids and their parents need therapy. None of the articles has proof or statements about what kind of bullying was being done here. There is actual proof of what the bullied kids responded with, and it troubled a kid bad enough to tell their parents.

His logic is that kids bullying kids is a-ok, it's when the bullied stand up for themselves that there's a problem. And of course, racism hasn't nothing to do with that.
Again, your words are your own. Harris and Klebold at Columbine were bullied, and they stood up for themselves. Before their final act, they made threats and even a skit about killing students. I'm glad that you feel that this is OK, since we all know how it ended.

You're a real piece of work, and I truly hope (for everyone) that you're just being an asshole, for the sake of being an ass.

• Haha

maluckey1

Mar 15, 2018
Imagine if the school and police treated the bullies this way

I can se a Key and Peal skit about this!! A kid calls another kid a poopie-face...then out come the handcuffs and tasers! In all seriousness though, bullying is bad behavior. Kids need to be taught to behave better or they'll end up squabbling, and bullying others over semantics on AnandTech forums

• Haha

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I can se a Key and Peal skit about this!! A kid calls another kid a poopie-face...then out come the handcuffs and tasers! In all seriousness though, bullying is bad behavior. Kids need to be taught to behave better or they'll end up squabbling, and bullying others over semantics on AnandTech forums

Bullies make the rules, it won't end until people are treated equally.

Squabbling will happen among children over almost anything. We have thousands of years of evolution to deal with when it comes to tribalistic abuse of the "weaker" kids.

I mean, the fact that you think you're being bullied here is kinda funny tho...lol

maluckey1

Mar 15, 2018
Bullies make the rules, it won't end until people are treated equally.

Squabbling will happen among children over almost anything. We have thousands of years of evolution to deal with when it comes to tribalistic abuse of the "weaker" kids.

I mean, the fact that you think you're being bullied here is kinda funny tho...lol
True enough, pecking order is a genetic imperative, and since no species is without it...we have to deal with it.

Me? I get bullied on here all the time :cool:!! I'm a big enough person to let it slide off, and I've never been able to hold a grudge against anyone. My wife says that It's one of my few redeeming qualities.....

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
True enough, pecking order is a genetic imperative, and since no species is without it...we have to deal with it.

Me? I get bullied on here all the time :cool:!! I'm a big enough person to let it slide off, and I've never been able to hold a grudge against anyone. My wife says that It's one of my few redeeming qualities.....
Two points.

Are you 10 years old? Might be a difference.

Second the only time people here are "bullied is for outright lying", making allegations with zero evidence or promoting conspiracy theories. The claim of "stifling alternate opinions" is pure horseshit.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

Lol, you let it slide off but bring it up? Weird lingo there 🤔

Our species could deal with it better by actually dealing with it.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
It's obvious you have reading comprehension issues AND never bothered to read up on this more than your preconceived notions would allow. Bullying is BAD, and I stated that they bullying kids and their parents need therapy. None of the articles has proof or statements about what kind of bullying was being done here. There is actual proof of what the bullied kids responded with, and it troubled a kid bad enough to tell their parents.

Again, your words are your own. Harris and Klebold at Columbine were bullied, and they stood up for themselves. Before their final act, they made threats and even a skit about killing students. I'm glad that you feel that this is OK, since we all know how it ended.

You're a real piece of work, and I truly hope (for everyone) that you're just being an asshole, for the sake of being an ass.
Unless you saw something in a different article you have no idea what was on the picture she drew. So your comparisons to Columbine hold zero weight. Further, it was a drawing, have the school counselor talk to her and go from there. The school shouldn't respond to another parent demanding police being called on a student.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Unless you saw something in a different article you have no idea what was on the picture she drew. So your comparisons to Columbine hold zero weight. Further, it was a drawing, have the school counselor talk to her and go from there. The school shouldn't respond to another parent demanding police being called on a student.

Yep, pretty unreasonable comparison, things that make you go hmmm.

Imxp, schools districts will try to silence to kids being bullied, and it's easy cuz those kids don't fight back until it's just an emotional and physical explosion. Meanwhile the bullies have be chipping away at them for a long time

VW MAN

Jun 27, 2020

Link up a few of your posts where you feel like you were bullied and lets have a look to see if you were actually bullied or if you were just called out for spreading lies, propaganda and otherwise being a dishonest c*nt!

Reactions: maluckey1

maluckey1

Mar 15, 2018
I'm not interested in spoon feeding you, since the narrative from the ACLU suits your point of view and you refuse to be bothered with anything further.

The school had no choice but to call the police when the parent (they had an attorney) insisted that they (the school) escalate. Common sense says that when someone gets a lawyer and then approaches a school with a demand for police response, that the drawing wasn't something run of the mill. You go on thinking that the kid drew a picture of rainbows and lollipops.

The kid might not have intended to act violently, and may have just been venting...who knows? The FACTS are not in question.

1. Kid was bullied
2. Said kid drew pictures that triggered a kid(s) to tell parents
3. Parent(s) get attorney
4. Parents reach out to school with demands
5. School reacts by complying with policy for threats of violence

Not much to argue here

• Haha

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I'm not interested in spoon feeding you, since the narrative from the ACLU suits your point of view and you refuse to be bothered with anything further.

The school had no choice but to call the police when the parent (they had an attorney) insisted that they (the school) escalate. Common sense says that when someone gets a lawyer and then approaches a school with a demand for police response, that the drawing wasn't something run of the mill. You go on thinking that the kid drew a picture of rainbows and lollipops.

The kid might not have intended to act violently, and may have just been venting...who knows? The FACTS are not in question.

1. Kid was bullied
2. Said kid drew pictures that triggered a kid(s) to tell parents
3. Parent(s) get attorney
4. Parents reach out to school with demands
5. School reacts by complying with policy for threats of violence

Not much to argue here
I don't care if she drew a picture of the other girl getting shot, the school should've handled it with their trained and certified counselors. The police are extremely illequiped to deal with something like this.

Please show me the law that says a school or anyone else has to call the police on someone because you or your lawyer told them to. Obviously this wasn't an active or current threat of violence.

Then the police went on to violate the girl's rights be questioning her without a parent present and refusing to allow the parent from accessing her.

• Love

maluckey1

Mar 15, 2018
Link up a few of your posts where you feel like you were bullied and lets have a look to see if you were actually bullied or if you were just called out for spreading lies, propaganda and otherwise being a dishonest c*nt!
Nobody gets humor anymore I suppose.

I'm bored, so I'll respond.

I've been on this forum for about 20 years. If I was truly bullied...I could just leave (you'd all me me though...it's why I came back!). The difference in what happened as a child, and these forums is that I can just walk away. I would have loved to have been "Cyberbullied" as a child, instead of the "swirlys", Phone-book smash, locker-jamming and dumpster-toss. Cyberbullying would certainly have been better than the Senior year fistfights. Let's get real. Bullying via internet isn't really bullying if you can walk away from it all.

• Haha