Police speed traps

cw42

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2004
The other day I was driving about 48 in a 35mph zone. As I came out of the road bend, BAM! there was a speed trap right next to me. It was one of those big, standing machines, that show you how fast you are going. I was wondering if there was a name for this thing, and if it takes pictures if you're speeding (cuz i coulda swore i thought i saw a camera type flash as i passed by).

blah, i'll be waitin for that ticket comin in the mail in the next few weeks. if the thing does take pics, this would be my first ticket ever, im only 19 :(

fredtam

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Usually they don't have cameras. They are just a friendly reminder you need to slow down.

They usually don't take pictures, and are usually placed in areas where the department has received a lot of complaints from residents about excessive speed in the area. Here in Ann Arbor at least, the police set 'em up for about 2 weeks at a time.

I usually just call 'em radar machines, but I'm sure there's a technical name for them.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
1. it's not a trap if it's:
one of those big, standing machines

2. I think they have both camera and non-camera ones.

3. Wouldn't a flash be useless at a distance?

Bootprint

Diamond Member
Jan 11, 2002
Are not those radar display machines just so you can see how fast you can go?
Hit 99 in a 50 kph zone and get a stuffed teddy bear.

tweakmm

Lifer
May 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Bootprint
Hit 99 in a 50 kph zone and get a stuffed teddy bear.
When they display your speed in flashing amber/red thats how you know you've won.

yukichigai

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2003
Speedboards, yes. They don't have cameras in them though, partially because most states haven't legalized the whole "take a picture, mail you a ticket" thing, and partially because the police know if they put cameras in there folks would start taking sledgehammers to the things. Much better to put cameras up on light poles, where the average angry motorist can't take a good swing at it.

P.S. It's only called a speed trap if they in some way trick you into speeding or otherwise overenforce the speed limit.

cw42

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2004
whew, thanks for all the replies. i feel a lot better now knowing that i won't be mailed a ticket :)