Police Sergeant To Precinct: If A Homeless Person Is Black, Just Shoot Them

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Fine person. Blue Lives Matter. At least he stands for the Anthem. Who you gonna trust, a cop or some random civilian.

Reactions: Jimzz

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Fine person. Blue Lives Matter. At least he stands for the Anthem. Who you gonna trust, a cop or some random civilian.

It was, at the very, very best an ignorant, insensitive & tasteless attempt at humor.

Just push him out the door & let him take his pension with him. Bye, Felisha!

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002

Except those are other cops testimonies.

So who do you trust? A cop or a few cops?

Reactions: Aegeon

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Sadly, the Portland Police union is ridiculously corrupt and powerful.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Sadly, the Portland Police union is ridiculously corrupt and powerful.

As a former Union member I have to say that Unions are doing their job when they insist that their employer entities have to follow their own rules & procedures, particularly wrt termination. It's something members pay to have & what they should expect. I rather suspect that wasn't done in this case. Yeh, sure, the guy deserved to be fired but it has to be done the right way. Otherwise the ends justify the means.

Reactions: Jimzz

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
As a former Union member I have to say that Unions are doing their job when they insist that their employer entities have to follow their own rules & procedures, particularly wrt termination. It's something members pay to have & what they should expect. I rather suspect that wasn't done in this case. Yeh, sure, the guy deserved to be fired but it has to be done the right way. Otherwise the ends justify the means.
The problem is that there doesn't appear to be a "right way" to terminate a Portland Police officer, even when the most egregious cause is evident.
We had one a few years ago where an officer gunned down an unarmed suspect in the back after his commanding officer had told him to stand down. This officer had a documented history of unnecessary violence to suspects and of insubordination to his superiors. The incident cost the city a $3 million settlement.
The officer appealed his termination on the basis that he didn't hear his superior's order to stand down because he had intentionally turned off his radio so that he wouldn't hear it, and that he had never been "properly trained" not to do that. And after a prolonged legal battle, he was eventually reinstated with back pay and full benefits.

I gotta say, it must be nice to have a job where you can fuck up so badly that you can kill someone and the worst that happens is a paid vacation. I don't really mean that, but what else can I say?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The problem is that there doesn't appear to be a "right way" to terminate a Portland Police officer, even when the most egregious cause is evident.
We had one a few years ago where an officer gunned down an unarmed suspect in the back after his commanding officer had told him to stand down. This officer had a documented history of unnecessary violence to suspects and of insubordination to his superiors. The incident cost the city a $3 million settlement.
The officer appealed his termination on the basis that he didn't hear his superior's order to stand down because he had intentionally turned off his radio so that he wouldn't hear it, and that he had never been "properly trained" not to do that. And after a prolonged legal battle, he was eventually reinstated with back pay and full benefits.

I gotta say, it must be nice to have a job where you can fuck up so badly that you can kill someone and the worst that happens is a paid vacation. I don't really mean that, but what else can I say?

I'm sure Portland cops get fired all the time so there's obviously a right way to accomplish that. When it doesn't happen, that's on the City, not the Union.

Which is not an attempt to justify any wrongdoing at all.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
It was, at the very, very best an ignorant, insensitive & tasteless attempt at humor.

Just push him out the door & let him take his pension with him. Bye, Felisha!
Being black myself I don't find this the least bit funny. If I lived in Portland I would find it downright threatening.

Why should he get to keep his pension? Let him sue for it.

DrunkenSano

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2008
Fuck Sgt. Gregg Lewis, instead of letting retire with pension, they should just shoot him. He's scum and society will be a better place if he or people like him just ceases to exist.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Why are police allowed to have so called bad apples and other industries can't?

What about airline pilots? "Hey we land our planes most of the time"

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Being black myself I don't find this the least bit funny. If I lived in Portland I would find it downright threatening.

Why should he get to keep his pension? Let him sue for it.

Because he earned it thru decades of what the City deemed to be satisfactory service. It's not like he's a criminal. He's just an idiot.

I mean, what's the objective? To get this guy off the force. So, follow the process, dot the i's & cross the t's, close the deal by letting him resign, keep his pension & move on.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Because he earned it thru decades of what the City deemed to be satisfactory service. It's not like he's a criminal. He's just an idiot.

I mean, what's the objective? To get this guy off the force. So, follow the process, dot the i's & cross the t's, close the deal by letting him resign, keep his pension & move on.

You mean he earned it by not getting caught doing what he's a proponent of.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004

For the Portland police, that's code for being super racist but not getting caught at it.

By the way, how bad do you have to be when even Portland cops decide to call you out? I can't even imagine.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
For the Portland police, that's code for being super racist but not getting caught at it.

By the way, how bad do you have to be when even Portland cops decide to call you out? I can't even imagine.

Let it go. He's out, and that's a step in the right direction. It's also a cautionary tale for the whole force.

Besides that, it was fellow officers who took this to the higher ups. Otherwise, nothing would have happened over it.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Let it go. He's out, and that's a step in the right direction. It's also a cautionary tale for the whole force.

Besides that, it was fellow officers who took this to the higher ups. Otherwise, nothing would have happened over it.

Let what go? They'll occasionally go through the motions of making a change, but PPD has been that way since forever and there's no indication it will ever change. I've lived here long enough to know that.