Police Reject Candidate For Being Too Smart

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
I think this is a repost. Anyways, I think most people in government are stupid. They can't cut it in the real world (not necessarily because they have low IQs), then they end up in the government with a nice cushy job. In this case the policy is simply being enforced to a greater degree.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: AcidicFury
That's pretty pathetic.

New London police interviewed only candidates who scored 20 to 27, on the theory that those who scored too high could get bored with police work and leave soon after undergoing costly training.

Mr Jordan launched a federal lawsuit against the city, but lost.

The 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New York upheld a lower court's decision that the city did not discriminate against Mr Jordan because the same standards were applied to everyone who took the test.

"This kind of puts an official face on discrimination in America against people of a certain class. I maintain you have no more control over your basic intelligence than your eye color or your gender or anything else."

------------------------------------------------------------------
More and More News showing the entire U.S. becoming more and more as you said Acidicfury "Pathetic".

:| :thumbsdown:

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I read about this case a few years ago as part of an undergrad class. Wow, I was under the impression the guy had already been accepted to that police force. That certainly sucks.

Painman

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2000
Egalitarianism at its finest :roll: I think a big brain is a fine thing for someone to have if you're going to entrust them with lethal force.

Mardeth

Platinum Member
Jul 24, 2002
125 isnt even high... I scored 135 and Im not even smart in my opinion...

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Umm... duh? This was covered in every Criminal Justice class I've had, from intro to the higher levels. Why is it that they screen the higher out? Well, part of it is that more intelligent people are more likely to leave, and/or quit because they see the job as a dead in. Others find higher pay after awhile or become quickly disillusioned. Most Police officers out there are average men doing a very hard job, but some can be quite dumb as well. Most are average however. They'd fit a bell curve quite nicely, but with a little bit less on the top than bottom. Most good officers will quit or move-on to something else, because they'll find it to be work that is hard, little pay, little reward, and nothing like they thought it would be. That's life I guess. I picked up an accident report the other day, and it had about 10 typos that I immediately noticed. He even copied my name down wrong, even though I knew him prior to the accident. ??? How do you do that? Regardless, the officer is one I've never really cared for, because he's a bit of a sleaze, and really shady, compared to what a good officer would be.

It is said, but with low pay, a crappy job, and the lack of support from the admin, you'll find most people that stick around for 25 years aren't all that intelligent, or that they are a better person than you or me, because they could put up with that sh!t for so long. Most officers are nice, hardworking, honest people, but you'll find nary a one with a degree from Yale, or an MBA from a state-school. Fact is, most people wiht a degree go onto to do something that pays better, and has more prestige.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Czar
didnt this happen about 2 years ago?

This particular incident might have, but it is a common problem with "some" police tests.
"

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Why anyone would want to be a State trooper? It has to be one of the most boring and potentially dangerous jobs. They spend all day driving around in a car, harassing people because they broke traffic laws, cleaning up vehicle accidents, and filling out of paper work.

Maybe it is the uniform...

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: AcidicFury
That's pretty pathetic.

New London police interviewed only candidates who scored 20 to 27, on the theory that those who scored too high could get bored with police work and leave soon after undergoing costly training.

Mr Jordan launched a federal lawsuit against the city, but lost.

The 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New York upheld a lower court's decision that the city did not discriminate against Mr Jordan because the same standards were applied to everyone who took the test.

"This kind of puts an official face on discrimination in America against people of a certain class. I maintain you have no more control over your basic intelligence than your eye color or your gender or anything else."

------------------------------------------------------------------
More and More News showing the entire U.S. becoming more and more as you said Acidicfury "Pathetic".

:| :thumbsdown:

Good news is, Dave, I bet you'd pass the "test" with FLYING COLORS.

:roll:

Bowmaster

Mar 11, 2002
I think most people in government are stupid.

Maybe in the administrative section, but NOT in the research labs (USDA, USGS, etc.). And no, I dont' work for the Federal Government...

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Mardeth

that what i was thinking, last time i got around 145

cquark

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2004
Originally posted by: halik
Originally posted by: Mardeth

that what i was thinking, last time i got around 145

What test though? Various IQ tests have different standard deviations, so the 135 might indicate a higher score than the 145 if they're from different tests. IIRC the Wechler test has a SD of 15 while the Cattell has a SD of 24, indicating that a Wechler IQ of 130 is the same as a Cattell IQ of 148.

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
if he got such a high score why be a cop?
take it as a hint to go to college! :)

May 16, 2000
I find this to be one of the worst parts about modern society. People with higher IQ's could be extremely helpful to most jobs if they're allowed to function to their capacity. All it requires is for the management to develop an understanding of what it means to be 3+ sd's over mean. I've found it nearly impossible to hold regular jobs in my life (due in part to my idealist INFP/INTP personality) scoring an average of 5sd's over mean by Stanford-Binet tests.

Higher IQ's don't make you better at anything but learning speed and possibly retention (depending on who you ask), and most importantly relational aptitude. IQ has NOTHING to do with schooling, and in fact it's been shown many times that beyond 4sd's over mean people do WORSE in school than those at mean (specialized schools for the gifted being exempt from this pattern). While people with high IQ's can learn faster and easier and retain more from college, they're often frustrated by the system which they almost intuitively know is flawed, and they're esepecially unsuited to the social structure and atmosphere of many learning institutions. Moreover, since most employers will not hire those who are truly gifted, it's difficult for exceptionally intelligent persons to be interested in paying 250k for degrees that won't get him a job because he was smarter in 3rd grade than most with an MBA.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Stunt
if he got such a high score why be a cop?
take it as a hint to go to college! :)

the articles says that he's a 49 year old college graduate

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Dari
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Probably the boss was afraid she'd get his job.

That person's a he, not a she. Sheesh.

Did you look at the link for Christ sakes. The first line in the body of the story:

"A US man has been rejected in his bid to become a police officer for scoring too high on an intelligence test."

Talk about obvious.

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Quite frankly most cops are genetically inbred mongrel-mutants. I know some really good ones, but the job seems to run in families. I don't know about you, but just because Joe Smoe's dad was a cop doesn't mean I think that Joe Smoe will be a good one. If Joe Smoe scored very well on the entry exam (which discrimination by intelligence would be illegal in most states btw) then I'd be happy to see him become a cop. Eventually he'll probably be an investigator, and God knows we have too many dumbsass investigators out there.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
On the plus side, this confirms what most of us have always suspected. See, I figured that you received special stupidity training when you joined up, but I guess they can only do so much with that, it takes a natural talent too.

Yes, I dislike cops. There are several individual cops I like. My grandfather was a cop. But by far the vast majority of cops I've had to deal with have been agressive and stupid.