Police officers have quit their jobs across the nation.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
So a bunch of cops decided they don't like the trend where people actually hold them accountable, and see that they'll have to work in a world where they can't just kill black people Judge Dredd style?

Is this a bad thing? Could this finally be a way to get rid of all those bad apples? Guess we'll not have to worry about that security guard shortage! Maybe they'll all join Blackwater and go off to other shithole countries where they can stomp darkies with impunity.

Or, are these the good apples quitting out of solidarity with the protests? That wouldn't be so good!

Who knew that doing a job where you had the choice to deal death (or not) would be difficult. Who knew that decades of treating certain neighborhoods like they contained nothing but terrorists would have repercussions. Who knew that giving military toys to cops, inflaming their inner John Wayne was going to be a negative thing.
Perhaps but the issue goes beyond the bad apples. A system setup to always protect those apples needs fixing as well. Law enforcement should be the ones coming out harder than anyone for making them look bad and spoiling public opinion of them. Fortuneteller in most departments the opposite happens.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
You really think it is easier to train a police officer in sociology and psychology than to train a social worker to call for backup when they need it?

Yes it’s better to be equipped to handle that one rare instance of violence than to be better equipped to handle the majority of the non violent interactions.

It’s why the police need decommissioned military vehicles, so they can handle the 1% chance of a total breakdown of society. It’s best to be prepared for that then having police trained to handle protestors in a non escalating way.

I mean really, what's the worst that can happen?

/s

Shortsightedness is a relative of stupidity.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
You really think it is easier to train a police officer in sociology and psychology than to train a social worker to call for backup when they need it?
Most cops have barely graduated from high school......6 months training to become a cop....
Alot do not have the mental capacity to be trained in sociology or psychology!

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
If the threat of professional accountability makes you quit your job, you probably shouldn't have had that job in the 1st place. Just sayin.
exactly! If you don`t like being accountable dtart your own damn business.......such as Acme Shoe sales.....

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

How do they call for backup when they become the victim?
I get your point...you're not getting mine.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
How do they call for backup when they become the victim?
I get your point...you're not getting mine.
No, I get your argument. I just don't agree with it, and I think that if you really thought about it you would not either.
You are arguing that we should stick to cops because on a very rare occasion it would be the better solution then some other service.
The problem is that the vast majority of the time it is not the better solution. The cost/benefit analysis of this is pretty simple.

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
No, I get your argument. I just don't agree with it, and I think that if you really thought about it you would not either.
You are arguing that we should stick to cops because on a very rare occasion it would be the better solution then some other service.
The problem is that the vast majority of the time it is not the better solution. The cost/benefit analysis of this is pretty simple.

Yeah BoomerD I think you should think this through. Sending someone trained to get violent at minor provocations who can literally ruin your life if you get out of line sounds like a great idea for a few percent of all interactions. But that's not the default person I want to send in under most circumstances. The goal is to help people, not to "make them fucking pay for what they've done" or to escalate a mentally ill person into doing something unlawful.