Police officers have quit their jobs across the nation.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I guess it depends on where you work. If you're in any of the major cities you're going to have a very difficult time. If you're a police officer in the suburbs like where I live it's mostly an easy time. Summers can be a bit hectic at the shore, but besides that we have a very small community, and not much happens here. The next town over the police patrol a mostly empty city with multi million dollar summer homes. In the article, police officers are saying that they feel unequipped, demorilized and restrained by politics. It's going to be a very difficult job that will be made even more difficult by smartphones. Think about this. Even if you're a good cop and you follow the book, you can still find yourself in hot water if you do one thing wrong. Imagine arriving on a call, doing your job, and having 6 smartphone cameras in your face. The tables are turning. The people have the upper hand it seems. Being a cop is going to be so difficult.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Feb 4, 2009
increase their pay? maybe under a couple of conditions, one should be: mandatory insurance that pays for their lawsuits or it comes out of their pension funds

Well we want better qualified people on the force, that means they need to be paid better.
Also staff them appropriately, if you are constantly running overtime you are understaffed.

Reactions: DarthKyrie and dawp
Feb 4, 2009
Isn't this the type of talk we had a few years ago for public school teachers in America? Nothing came out of those talks. .

that’s fine too. Assuming they are leaving because they are concerned about increased regulation they can beat it and try to find a similar job with similar compensation. Good luck to them.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
I mentioned this in another post buy why do't we stop arresting folks for drug position. This should free up enough more than enough resources to counter any of these officers that want to quit. Start replacing them with addiction experts.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
I guess it depends on where you work. If you're in any of the major cities you're going to have a very difficult time. If you're a police officer in the suburbs like where I live it's mostly an easy time. Summers can be a bit hectic at the shore, but besides that we have a very small community, and not much happens here. The next town over the police patrol a mostly empty city with multi million dollar summer homes. In the article, police officers are saying that they feel unequipped, demorilized and restrained by politics. It's going to be a very difficult job that will be made even more difficult by smartphones. Think about this. Even if you're a good cop and you follow the book, you can still find yourself in hot water if you do one thing wrong. Imagine arriving on a call, doing your job, and having 6 smartphone cameras in your face. The tables are turning. The people have the upper hand it seems. Being a cop is going to be so difficult.

This isn't surprising. There was an article about this years ago. Unlike other dangerous jobs, all the cop deaths are center stage and with increasingly more race baiting reporting in the last decade, people are less likely to view it as a good career.

Well we want better qualified people on the force, that means they need to be paid better.
Also staff them appropriately, if you are constantly running overtime you are understaffed.

Another problem besides police departments loving to understaff is how inefficient compensation is. It does not correlate well with crime in a given area. You'll have cops with compensation packages over $150K in some areas, despite it being nothing like Detroit or -insert other problem inner city-.

Although I don't think compensation will do much here. And if it were to get substantial results, i'm pretty sure there is a lot more bang for buck than cops. For instance, taxi drivers and truckers. Truckers lead to more ordinary folk deaths unlike cops who if they do kill someone, it's a thug 99% of the time.

The federal agency said 885 large truck occupants died in 2018. That’s an increase of almost 1 percent compared to the prior year. It is the highest since 1988 when 911 occupants of large trucks died.

Looking beyond truckers, overall deaths involving crashes with large trucks also continue to rise. The agency said 4,678 people died in collisions with large trucks last year. That’s up by almost 1 percent from the 4,369 that died in 2017.

Nov 8, 2012
Isn't this the type of talk we had a few years ago for public school teachers in America? Nothing came out of those talks. .
Yet we have places where teachers are paid plenty and their school systems still sucks ass.

Same for cops. Some are already paid ridiculous salaries with ridiculous pensions.

Not everything is a money game.

• Haha
Reactions: Bitek and ch33zw1z

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
There are close to 700,000 police officers in the United States.
The article states 16 police officers quit.
Several others resigned from a special units to return to other Police duties.

Did I miss something?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Base pay should reflect the cost of living and positions of comparable education and responsibility. Perpetual overtime needs to go away. Working 60-80 hour weeks is very bad for mental health.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
There are close to 700,000 police officers in the United States.
The article states 16 police officers quit.
Several others resigned from a special units to return to other Police duties.

Did I miss something?
To quote another poster.... a bunch of cops have quite.

• Haha
Reactions: Meghan54

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I really doubt one single cop would actually quit over what is now happening across America. That is, not unless that cop was so disgruntled that he or she can no longer go around shooting black people in the back. Sure, no doubt there are cops out there that will be very upset that their personal little game of Fort Nite is coming to an end, and so be it.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I frequently visit data centers where I'm on multiple cameras for my entire visit. From entering the gate to leaving. #dealwithit.

edit: ok, not in the men's room lol..

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I mentioned this in another post buy why do't we stop arresting folks for drug position. This should free up enough more than enough resources to counter any of these officers that want to quit. Start replacing them with addiction experts.

The WoD has increased the militarization of the police greatly. There's other options, and the younger generation gets it. It's the older voters that love that authoritarian view on drugs. It's an interesting topic, but in short....I think drugs should be decriminalized, and funding diverted to social programs for drug education and treatment.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
The WoD has increased the militarization of the police greatly. There's other options, and the younger generation gets it. It's the older voters that love that authoritarian view on drugs. It's an interesting topic, but in short....I think drugs should be decriminalized, and funding diverted to social programs for drug education and treatment.

That would mean having a competent health care system, something we don’t have and something one party is actively voting against.