Police officer wants to trade me a 1999 Crown Vic Interceptor for My 88 Firebird

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Originally posted by: MX2times
Arent those 80's Camaros and Firebirds rattle buckets?

Mine isnt, real quiet. Hell my car underneath even looks like the day it came off the show room floor. Not a speck of rust under it, on the floor pans, or even the brake or fuel lines.

LordMorpheus

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2002
The Crown Vic based interceptors are not hopped up. I think they've got a deeper oil pan, and you might get a limited slip diff in the deal (an option on factory panther chassis fords), but you'll get the same 210-ish HP that every other CV has and the same transmission.

I've heard the oil pan is bigger to allow you to push the car harder for a longer period of time, but I'd guess that this is a myth.

Back when police departments bought caprices, I think they had corvette V8's in their interceptors, but this could be just as big a myth as the one that cop cars would smoke a stock crown vic.

All this said, it won't be turd slow, it'll offer decent performance for a mid-range 90's sedan.

If you like projects you could start swapping parts on the engine to increase power. It's got the same block you see in mustang GT's, so it's got a lot of potential.

It might be cheaper to just get a used 4.6 from a mustang or Mk VIII or something as use that, I don't know if you can put DOHC heads on the crown vic block (SOHC).

It'd be a fun sleeper.

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: LordMorpheus
The Crown Vic based interceptors are not hopped up. I think they've got a deeper oil pan, and you might get a limited slip diff in the deal (an option on factory panther chassis fords), but you'll get the same 210-ish HP that every other CV has and the same transmission.

I've heard the oil pan is bigger to allow you to push the car harder for a longer period of time, but I'd guess that this is a myth.

Back when police departments bought caprices, I think they had corvette V8's in their interceptors, but this could be just as big a myth as the one that cop cars would smoke a stock crown vic.

All this said, it won't be turd slow, it'll offer decent performance for a mid-range 90's sedan.

Ignore the above misinformation.

Cheers!

- M4H

LordMorpheus

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2002
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire

Cheers!

- M4H

so you are claiming that police department Crown Vics are more powerful than the "civillian model"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_Interceptor

I know wiki isn't a great source, but I'd trust it over you.

Aftermath

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2003

Cheers!

- M4H

so you are claiming that police department Crown Vics are more powerful than the "civillian model"?

It is.

It's got different ECU programming, more aggressive timing, different shift points, and dual exhausts.

As of the 2005 stats:
224 hp @ 4750 rpm/265 lb-ft. @ 4000 rpm/9.4:1 compression - 4.6 L V8 (base civilian package)
250 hp @ 4900 rpm/287 lb-ft. @ 4100 rpm/9.6:1 compression - 4.6 L V8 (Police Interceptor only)

Though that's not the exact same as the 1999 model. I'm trying to illustrate a point.

Outside of just engine output, it's also got a higher top speed due to a different governer, heavier duty shock absorbers and stiffer springs, an aluminum drive shaft, a reinforced frame and body mounts, front and rear stabilizer bars, as well as oil and transmission fluid coolers.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Comparison with civilian counterpart

Contrary to public perception, there are few outstanding differences between the Police Interceptor and standard civilian Crown Victorias. By and large, the Police Interceptor uses the same Ford modular V8 engine and transmission as the civilian models, with the most notable differences being oil and transmission fluid coolers to help the vehicles run for extended lengths of time without overheating. The Police Interceptor also comes with a 129 MPH speed governor, enabling the vehicle to reach a higher top speed than its civilian counterpart. Another difference is Ford's "severe duty" shock absorbers that offer a stiffer ride than the civilian Crown Victoria. They also have black steel wheels with chrome hubcaps. Police Interceptors will have the characters "P71" as the model code in the VIN. Other features that are unique to the Police Interceptor are more aggressive programming, timing and shift points. Police Interceptors also have a heavy duty frame and body mounts, an aluminum drive shaft and usually a limited slip rear differential. All Police Interceptors also come with full stainless steel dual exhausts; most civilian Crown Victorias come with a single exhaust pipe. Police Interceptors have stiffer springs and have a bit higher stance than civilian models plus come equipped with front and rear stabilizer bars. On 2004 and newer models, P71's have a 200amp alternator and a 78amp battery. Also, most Police Interceptors have a break in the front "bench seat" despite having the shifter on the steering column. This gap between seats is generally filled by a console holding radios, controls for emergency equipment, and often a laptop computer used as a mobile data terminal (MDT). In some police cruisers, there is a metal plate positioned right under the oil pan. This is to prevent a speed bump from tearing the oil pan when the driver has no time to slow down, or even stop.

With more aggressive timing, different tranny shift points, less weight drive shaft, safe to say it will be at least slightly faster then a civilian counterpart and handle a sh!t load better too :)

I read the 1999 model had 240hp and 285 ft/lb torque but I cant find the website I saw it on. Still looking though.

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: Aftermath

Cheers!

- M4H

It is.

It's got different ECU programming, more aggressive timing, different shift points, and dual exhausts.

As of the 2005 stats:
224 hp @ 4750 rpm/265 lb-ft. @ 4000 rpm/9.4:1 compression - 4.6 L V8 (base civilian package)
250 hp @ 4900 rpm/287 lb-ft. @ 4100 rpm/9.6:1 compression - 4.6 L V8 (Police Interceptor only)

Though that's not the exact same as the 1999 model. I'm trying to illustrate a point.

Outside of just engine output, it's also got a higher top speed due to a different governer, heavier duty shock absorbers and stiffer springs, an aluminum drive shaft, a reinforced frame and body mounts, front and rear stabilizer bars, as well as oil and transmission fluid coolers.

You forgot the optional LSD.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/2006fleetshowroom/2006-CrVicPoliceInt.asp

- M4H

LordMorpheus

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Aftermath

Cheers!

- M4H

It is.

As of the 2005 stats:

Civillian panther chassis have dual exhaust at the higher trim levels, (difference between 190 and 210 HP in my town car), so the altered timing probably would give the p71 car 10-20 HP over the civillian version. A little faster, but it's not a super-crown vic.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Schadenfreude
Originally posted by: NeoAaronX
Cops beat the crap outta their cars,......

Again I live in a small country town, there is nothing to go chase after other then cows :p

And your to say regular people dont though on the other hand. Give me the cop car with regular maditory maintance, and external trans, engines, and diff coolers to keep the fluid cooler then regular cars when getting the piss beat out of them ;)

drnickriviera

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2001
Originally posted by: funboy42
Originally posted by: NeoAaronX
Cops beat the crap outta their cars,......

In a big city yup, I live in country town usa, most they be chasing is a cow going down the street :p

Again wont hurt to go look at it. My kids and wife will be happy with more room, and to be picked up from school in a cop car would be kinda cool still. And once I tint the windows on it EVERYONE will be moving out of my way for fear Im a cop, still has the lights on it (not the roof lights just the side lights).

Kinda getting excited after reading up on the stats.

I'll second Aaron's quote. My cousin is a Sheriff Deputy right by you. Henderson County, Lexington. All their cars are beat to death. Remember they idle the cars all the time.

Having a cop car is cool on 4 lane roads, but on city streets and 2 lane roads, everyone slows down to at or below the speed limit.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Im not all that worried. I been buying cars since the age of 14, I have personally bought and sold over 300 cars, I am ase certified as a mechanic, and I know how to check a car over. Im not going to go there like most of you start it, drive it and go yup, I will take it. Im actually going to crawl on the ground, pull some dip sticks out and check fluids, check for blow by, and see how the tranny shifts under extreme acceleration, along with many other things I check and test for. High mileage cars and ones driven hard dont scare me off unless they fail my checks.

Im not worried, and I sure as hell wont be getting screwed. It runs like crap, blows smoke from the crank or tail pipe, Im not stupid enough to trade my car for it just to have a cop car :p

And hell if I get sick of people going slow in front of me all the time I can trade it in on a truck a hell of a lot easier then I could with the firebird. Not one dealership wants something that old around here good looking or not because it cannot be financed. The 8 year old cop car could and it would be more desirable and worth more. So I still come out ahead no matter what if it passes my tests. Thanks everyone for talking me into taking the car now ;)

Christobevii3

Aug 29, 2004
I'd trade since you don't have the 350 v8. The interceptor is good because everyone will move out of your way too on the highway!