Police Officer Caught By Dash Cam Planting Drugs On Man

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MmmSkyscraper

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: OdiN
Originally posted by: Jahee
The public image of police across the world is in a bad state at the moment, and with very good reason..
You could say the actions of a few shouldn't apply to the rest but it doesn't work like that.

We could also say to you to shut the hell up.

WTF are you talking about? :confused:

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
Originally posted by: sportage
Want to make a million(s)?
Speaking of dash cams, I'm waiting for
someone or some company to make one
for the average car. Something simple,
using flash memory and dash (front/rear)
easy mountable. Then we'd all have video
of everything around us in traffic. Especially
those so called no fault accidents.

shhhh!!! :p

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
Originally posted by: rivan
Originally posted by: QueBert
Yay! It's another jpeyton "one cop proven to be a prick, must mean the rest of the 450,000 of them are!" thread!

The bandwagon's out in force, too...

Stories like this are far more common than you hear about, as a lot go completely under the radar.

Yeah, and the stories where cops save people's lives, which happen every single day don't make the news at all. So screw the 99% of cops out there who do things like drive around in the worst weather to help people, because when there's nothing tragic happening they have the audacity to ticket you when you were speeding.

Screw the 99% of cops that drive around when there's a power outage and make sure people aren't looting your house, or your business. Screw those guys for keeping street racers from doing 75 in a 30 - I mean hell, what could go wrong with that.

Nevermind they get killed while doing their job. It's probably their fault anyway.

You know, cut those guys some fucking slack - treat them like they're human and you might be surprised to see they treat you with the same respect you give them. Maybe you'll get a bad one and he'll be a prick - we know they're out there. I can tell you though, if you approach a cop with a chip on your shoulder, he'll treat you like you're a possible threat.

edit: Some of my links suck. Google it yourself.

Being a police officer is a risky job, and many times thankless which is a shame.

Having said that, to ignore crimes committed by police officers (and more importantly by police offers who are attempting to frame an innocent man) because of the inherent risk of the job is simply unacceptable.

Oversight of law enforcement by civilians is crucial in keeping a free society and in my opinion we could use more of it.

McCarthy

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: sygyzy
$10M? That's it? I hope the jury increases it.

Why sure, a couple out of work cops should be able to pay that off in no time. Wait, what's that, they won't be the ones paying?

Yeah, let's throw heaps of taxpayer money at this guy. While we're cutting the department's budget to pay him, let's drop the starting wage too. That should attract good recruits.

I love how it always comes back to someone looking for the lottery. Who are we punishing with this award? Hmm, let's count them off : the taxpayers, the cops who continue to work for the department, future officers.

That should really help with police/community interaction.

Oct 4, 2004
I know what I4AT is talking about.

Planting evidence isn't a new phenomenon - cops out here (India) freely admit to it (at least off the record). I remember when I was on a road trip across Southern India - we asked Chief Forest Officer of the State nicely and he allowed us to spend a week at his camp (anti-poaching). They had about 65 tigers in the reserve and the numbers had been dwindling. Plus, miscreants were sneaking their way in and chopping down sandal and rosewood trees (a single tree would be worth $15,000-$20,000). Learned quite a bit about how things work behind the scenes and even accompanied the guys on a bust.

The dude told us about the times they planted evidence on known poachers. "We arrest them, are never able to build a solid case for lack of evidence and they get back out on the streets. Everyone in a hundred-mile radius knows who these guys are - just like every city knows who the mafia overlords are - but they stay free because no trial ever leads to success. So yeah, sometimes, we have to be criminals ourselves to put criminals behind bars. Street justice, you can call it."

The Bombay police are infamous for shooting unarmed (notorious) criminals and planting guns on them - maybe even popping a few caps in their squad cars to make it look like a struggle ensued.

I'd expect American law enforcement to be above 'street justice' and be of a higher standard. If they get caught, they should be held accountable. But I'm not quick to judge. My grandfather and an uncle were also police officers. The law isn't always 'by the book'. I don't condone it but I don't condemn it either.

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
op should reserve the web address badcops.com, you'll rake in millions from courttv viewers... i want a cut.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: I4AT
What if the guy was a known dealer/thief/murderer? I don't have a problem with cops going around the system if it means taking a dangerous man off the streets. I mean what do they have to gain by planting drugs on some random ock? I'm not saying that's the case, maybe they're just small dicked assholes with a grudge, but there could be more to the story that we don't know.

If we're just going to ignore laws and due process, throw out the constitution and fabricate evidence to get the job done, why don't we just abolish the police force altogether and get some gangs together to kill people we're pretty sure we commited serious crimes?

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Originally posted by: PingSpike
What if the guy was a known dealer/thief/murderer? I don't have a problem with cops going around the system if it means taking a dangerous man off the streets. I mean what do they have to gain by planting drugs on some random ock? I'm not saying that's the case, maybe they're just small dicked assholes with a grudge, but there could be more to the story that we don't know.

If we're just going to ignore laws and due process, throw out the constitution and fabricate evidence to get the job done, why don't we just abolish the police force altogether and get some gangs together to kill people we're pretty sure we commited serious crimes?
Yeah that's a fucked up way of thinking.

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
Originally posted by: Pale Rider
You know, cut those guys some fucking slack - treat them like they're human and you might be surprised to see they treat you with the same respect you give them.

Being a police officer is a risky job, and many times thankless which is a shame.

Having said that, to ignore crimes committed by police officers (and more importantly by police offers who are attempting to frame an innocent man) because of the inherent risk of the job is simply unacceptable.

Oversight of law enforcement by civilians is crucial in keeping a free society and in my opinion we could use more of it.

I phrased poorly - I wasn't implying cops should get a pass when they break the law - they should get hit with the book as hard as anyone else.

I was talking about cops in general. The decent 99% you're more likely to encounter.

If you're driving around at 3 am in a beat up car, with long hair in a tough neighborhood (perfect description of ME at 22), and a cop pulls you over, try to put yourself in his shoes for a second. For all the cop knows, he's walking up on someone who's got a gun in his lap. Don't do anything to make the situation more tense, like flip the cop a bunch of shitty attitude about how you're a taxpaying citizen that blah blah blah.

Make his job a little easier - put your wallet and your hands on the dash where he can see them as he walks up. You know he's going to ask for ID - why not have it ready? He'll be more comfortable with your hands in plain sight.

That's what I meant by cut them a little slack.

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
Originally posted by: astroidea
Originally posted by: sportage
Want to make a million(s)?
Speaking of dash cams, I'm waiting for
someone or some company to make one
for the average car. Something simple,
using flash memory and dash (front/rear)
easy mountable. Then we'd all have video
of everything around us in traffic. Especially
those so called no fault accidents.

shhhh!!! :p

Just contacted a factory in china :)

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Originally posted by: clamum
Originally posted by: PingSpike

Yeah that's a fucked up way of thinking.

Put fresh batteries in your sarcasm meter