PNY 8800GT RMA

crice

Jan 15, 2004
Hi All,

I have this card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16814133232

I mounted an Accelero S1 + 120mm fan onto the card, and all was well for a year. I've never had temperature issues before, and I'm sure that my S1 was seated properly (after checking repeatedly).

Last week, TF2 started artifacting mid-game. After quitting to desktop, windows also had graphical glitches and multicolored lines across the screen. After a cold reboot (waited for the card to cool down), I get the same thing, and even the POST screen shows graphical glitches.

-----------

I want to RMA the card to PNY. Does anyone have any experiences with PNY's RMA process? Will I get refused the RMA because of my aftermarket cooler? I've since replaced the stock cooler. From what I've read, people have had bad experiences with PNY's RMA process.

I'm pretty annoyed because the card is almost exactly a year old. I was about to do a warranty claim with AMEX, but then I found out PNY has a 3 year warranty. Is it bad to wish this card had a shorter warranty?

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Originally posted by: crice

Will I get refused the RMA because of my aftermarket cooler?

That is the general idea. I don't think PNY accepts changing coolers on their cards. I would still try a RMA, even though people will flame you, because that is considered illegal. :roll:

In my opinion, as long as the card was handled right and as long as the cooler was installed properly, no bad overclocking done, you basically did a service to the card, dropping its temperatures and by that, trying to extend its life.

crice

Jan 15, 2004
Originally posted by: error8
Originally posted by: crice

Will I get refused the RMA because of my aftermarket cooler?

That the general idea. I don't think PNY accepts changing coolers on their cards. I would still try a RMA, even though people will flame you, because that is considered illegal. :roll:

In my opinion, as long as the card was handled right and as long as the cooler was installed properly, no bad overclocking done, you basically did a service to the card, dropping its temperatures and by that, trying to extend its life.

I can say truthfully that I did not OC the card. I did, as you said, try to extend the life of the card by installing the Accelero.

If RMAing doesn't pan out, I'll have to take it up with AMEX by citing PNY's end-of-life clause in the warranty.